I appreciate if you could answer me 3 things about Australia

Santosh

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 07:11 pm
Hi friends,
I am 35 yrs old Canadian Citizen and living with in my won home with my wife and one baby. I am a IT guy. Even though my wife and myself working and living in nice neibourhood community. I think job situation in Australia will be as good as Canada. I really get frustrated with the harsh winter and it looks like we are hibernating every year for about 5 months inside house. We really want to get rid of this country. We have hard time to select either mid eastern USA or Australia to migrate.
I really appreciate if you can answer me 3 things about Australia:
1. Which is the best city from weather and community wise?
2. How is the IT industry in Australia and which is best suitable city from IT jobs point of view
3. In major cities, what is the average coast of 3 bed room house for buying?
Many Many thanks & regards in advance,-Santosh
Toronto, Canada
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,618 • Replies: 5
No top replies

g day

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 04:15 am
1. Brisbane (if you like it mild in Winter, warm in Autumn and Spring and boiling in Summer - over 40 - 45 Celcius - don't walk barefoot on the road or beach or you'll scold your feet. Put a black steel plate in the sun for 1/2 and hour and you can easily cook eggs or steak with no fire under it!)

Sydney - Winters down to 8 Ceclius - real jumper weather, Summer up to 35 - 40 - perfect beach weather, Autumn Spring mild - 25 degrees

Melbourne - 3- 5 degrees cooler than Sydney

Sydney is more an international class city - population 5 Million, beautiful waterways (I think Sydney has produced 5 of the best 10 pro surfers in the world over the last 20 years + plus best harbour in the world bar none), slightly hilly, 7 * 24 city, Brisbane pop 1.2M - lovely clean modern city - more layback lifestyle, flat with very few hills, 1 hour to gold coast, Melbourne - Pop 3M - more a ball sports lifestyle city

2. Great IT industry - very high tech and modern - best jobs and best availability would go Sydney, Melb, Brisbane. I'd expect wagers to be higher in Sydney by 20% then Melb and 25% than Brisbane.

So a skilled team leader / senior techie might earn $120K per annum in Sydney, a manager $120K - $140K, Snr Mgr $160 - $180K, General Manager $200K - $400K etc...

www.seek.com.au

3. Three Bedroom house prices

Depends on location, distance to city and water, conditions of housing

Sydney $300K - $600K - most over $500K AUD
Melb - 30% less
Brisbane 40-50% less

I am a Sydney sider - worked in all capital Cities in Australia - love Sydney the best!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 12:28 am
G'day Santosh, and welcome to A2K!

I think our mate g_day covered it pretty well.

Sydbney is the biggest city and where the major IT marketplaces are - with Melbourne next, then Brisbane and Adelaide.

It's a bit hard for me to comment on the most livable city - In was born in Sydney and have lived all my life here - so far!

Sydney is the most expensive by a long shot - but you gets what you pays for.

Have a look at seek.com.au to get an idea of IT jobs (or you can have mine - it stinks!)
0 Replies

pixee

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 12:48 pm
1.Perth (south west coast) has a lower crime rate and quieter lifestyle than some of the east coast cities, it's also said to have the best beaches (the gold coast in Queensland is nice too). perth only has about 1 million people and is quite spread out.

2. dunno, not familiar with the IT industry, could ask more frm a friend who's in it if you want..?

3. house are cheaper than the eastern states cities.
$AU150K- $AU500K.

hope iv been a help and let me know if you want more info on Perth's IT industry
0 Replies

Tv Lover

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 01:13 am
g__day wrote:
1. Brisbane (if you like it mild in Winter, warm in Autumn and Spring and boiling in Summer - over 40 - 45 Celcius quote]

45 Celcius is a little overboard, coming from a Brisbanite, the winter nights in Brisbane are quite cold, 5 degrees last night for example.
Mild days in Autumn is my favourite time of year.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 01:28 am
Definity Brisbane - if you want warmer weather and no snow guaranteed. (I know, I live here!)

But sydney and melbourne is where the action of the big money spenders would be situated
0 Replies