Residential Pollution: Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Sugar

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 04:05 pm
My cousin sent this to me in hopes I might be able to help out a friend. It seems that he bought a house next to a cement company, which was fine, but it has now turned into an industrial area. This is causing major pollution in the area and he's afraid it's just going to get worse.

He has tried fighting and getting petitions to no avail. If you are interested in helping or just want to check it out please Click here to check out Chris's site. He's taking a hit count to see if it will help back him up a bit. Real change happens on a local level.

I wasn't sure whether to put this in Australia or Inernational News or what...

Thanks all!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,461 • Replies: 15
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:24 pm
Sugar, I have asked thid topic also to appear in International News - I suspect this means it may be moved there, but also have a reference here. great idea.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 12:39 am
I checked it out and can't believe that these companies are allowed to be that close to the public.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 03:19 am
this is KALGOORLIE!! Itis a law unto itself.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 03:37 am
Awful!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 04:03 am
LOL! Most of the residents like it that way, I think! They hate rules and regulations.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 05:13 am
In the states, there had been a number of "class action" suits that have been successful in causing changes in industrial practices at going sites that were located in urbanized areas. The topic comes under "Environmental justice"
the law has stated that you cannot diminish the value of property or quality of life by substantially changing ones type of business. It had gone on for years like at Kalgoolie, but sooner or later the folks who lived at an area took the law into their own hands and initiated the suits. (Much to the embarrassment of the responsible Reg Agencies)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 05:07 am
I sent a message to the minister for all the good it will do. I'm sure if you sent a message of praise you'd get a response.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 05:52 am
Very good point Wilso ;-)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 02:36 pm
WILSO-TRY IRONY. PRAISE THE MINISTER FOR ENABLING YOU TO BE ABLE TO SEE YOUR VERY AIR, A USUALLY ODORLESS AND TASTELESS SUBSTANCE, AND THAT HAVING A CEMENT QUARRY AND KILN ADJACENT TO THE PROPERTY IS VERY CONVENIENT WERE YOU TO CONSIDER BUILDING, SAY, A PYRAMID. ALSO SEND A COPY OF THE DAMN-ED PRAISE TO A POPULAR TABLOID, WHICH, I UNDERSTAND , IS ONE OF AUSTRALIAS LEADING PRODUCTS.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 11:09 pm
Our ref: 18205

Thank you for your correspondence of 3 March, 2003 to Dr Judy Edwards MLA, Minister for the Environment and Heritage concerning pollution in Kalgoorlie.

Your correspondence is receiving attention and Dr Edwards will respond as soon as possible.

>>> <[email protected]> 03/03/2003 18:57:45 pm >>>

The following feedback was received from Jeff Wilson.
Subject: environmental pollution Comment: Instead of sprouting political rhetoric, you could try helping the people suffering in these photos.
http://www.wn.com.au/righty/Photo%20gallery.htm

But then, that would affect your political donations too much.
Reply Requested: Yes

Email Address: [email protected]
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 08:48 am
Thanks Wilso!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 07:04 pm
Lets see if anything happens!!!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 09:22 pm
Wilso
You're my hero ;-)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 11:36 pm
awwwww, shucks

Seriously though. I didn't mention Kalgoorlie specifically in the message. I just sent them the link to the photos. So someone has at least looked at the site. They may surprise us.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2003 11:43 am
That would be a nice change :-)
0 Replies