Culture, Life style, Stress, Uncertainty in Australia Vs USA

hippyhearted

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 01:05 am
Hi, I think if u are after a more carefree, relaxed, laidback lifestyle, the Australia is the place to go. I don't really no that much about all the money side of it bcoz im only 14, so i dnt no f this comment will help much. But i just thought I'd tell u a bit about the Aussie lifestyle. I would suggest moving to sydney, specifically a great little suburb in the citys north-east, Bondi Beach. Me and my family have lived here our whole lives, and in my opinion it is the greatest place in the world. If you are thinking about your children's futures and they like the beach lifstyle, this place is perfect. It is so carefree and laidback. Everyone here loves life and is very friendly and have a great sense of humour. Most of the houses are situated right on the beach with great views, and there are heaps of cafes n shops also. Nearly everyone knows each other and are all very kind and helpful. To me and everyone i know our whole lives are basically surf, sand and sun. I have honestly spent everyday of my life at the beach, jetskiing, boating in sydney harbour, hanging out with my friends at the beach after school, and just having no worries and living a carefree life. My parents love it also and their work hours are very flexible with many caree opportunities right here in the city. Sydney and the famous Bondi beach deffinately lives up to its well known reputation of being a carefree, laidback and fun environment and city. Hope this has helped.
0 Replies

Bradman2007

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 07:32 am
Hi,
I have just migrated to the US (New York) from Australia and I think Americans, or New Yorkers have got some ideas about Australia that are completely incorrect. Firstly, Australia is a huge place so be sure to know where you wish to live. I had the luxury of working in every major city in the country as well as driving the whole coast when I was younger, there are large differences in culture/conditions that may not be instantly recognisable to someone from another country. For raising a family Melbourne or Adelaide would be my preference as the cost of living is low compared to Sydney, and both are wonderful places, albeit Adelaide is a little conservative. Australia has 4 of the their 7 cities placed in the top 10 of the World's Most livable Cities, so I guess you can't go wrong!

As far as work is concerned, both degrees are recognised and the unemployment rate is below 5% and has been for some time. Just keep in mind that Australians work very hard, but less hours as I have seen in New York, and for me, New York isn't very stressful at all. Another thing to keep in mind is that most Australians are qualified, be it degrees or trades so there is competition. On this note, maybe join the Australian-American Association as networking is alive and well down under like most places, at the very least it would be good to meet a few Australians face to face before you make a move.

Schooling anywhere in the country is far superior (as a standard opposed to exclusive) than in the US, or at least New York. Any child can get an excellent education be it private or public but I would do my research of what mix of cultures the school would be. I say this as unlike the US, Australians are very vocal about their opinions about matters, especially where the US are involved. There has been many problems in the last few years with small, extreme muslim youths, mainly in one area of Sydney, where if I was an American I would not be bringing up my children in that area. The problem is being addressed but only after some 5,000 Australians took the streets in protest, be it wrong or right, the officials, police and government weren't doing their job before then.

The crime rate in the whole country is low, for every 100,000 people we have 65 in jail compared to that of 3,000 per 100,000 in America. I disagree with a comment I read earlier about service as I think that as a standard, it is far better in Australia than New York. I'm sorry but I haven't been anywhere else apart from this city in the 2 years I have lived here so I am very naive about the rest of the country.

I'll shut up now but simply if you want to go to work, have more free time and have a great environment for your family to grow, then there probably isn't a better place to move to. Just remember that where you live is important, not that there are any "bad" areas, just better ones.

Good Luck!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 06:11 am
G'day, Bradman, nice to meet you & welcome! Very Happy
Tell us a bit about your adventures as a newcommer in New York! I'm jealous. I'd love to do that for a while! (Nothing permanent, mind. I'd always call Oz home! :wink:)
0 Replies

Jackspratt

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 07:23 am
it's May 2008 and the last post I saw was June 2007! But on the topic of Vicki moving to Australia - I live here - it's a good place and so is the USA. I don't think Indian qualifications are recoginsed here however and it is hard for migrants at first - often because of the lack of recognition of their qualifications they might do other jobs and get "entrenched" in them. That is not good. Salaries here, though, are better than in the US generally ( take out the millionaires in the US stats and people on average here earn much more -a primary school teacher here $78,000-00 the US from $38,000- to $45,000- talking equality of dollars of course) housing here is much more expensive - most things are comparable but health here is much more affordable. We seem to have reveresed going down the US path in a lot of things -and this is good for the population. If you can go to an area with a support group you will make it - if not - you MIGHT make it. Weigh up WHAT you know before you come to what you DON"T know - the people are NOT the same!
margo

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 05:43 am
What a rush of single issue posters!
0 Replies

floyd

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 10:10 am
@Jackspratt,
Is it true that Indian degrees are not recognised in Australia? I'm planning to start the PR process and it would be good to hear from any one from India who migrated there. I'm from the IT industry with 9+ years of experience.
0 Replies

amithie

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 05:56 am
@Vikky,
Hi I am also interested in migrating to Aus. I am naturalized citizen in the US. I am researching on immigration to Aus. If I can ask you did you go through a lawyer for this or are you applying on your own. Where are you in the process now. We live in Michigan the weather is not the best. We have been living here for about 13 yrs now, yeah you might wonder what we have been doing for so long. Anyway if you could let me know some answers to my questions aprreciate!
G
0 Replies

febman

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:24 pm
Am an indian living in US and looking for options of moving to AUS as my fiance is having a job in AUS. Visa now in US is purely lottery based and if incase she doesnt get a visa here iam thinking of moving to AUS. Me a 9 yr exp in IT industry. Any suggestions?
margo

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:57 pm
@febman,
This is probably not the best place to ask this question.

There are no people here who can answer your questions.

May I suggest: http://www.indiaoz.com.au/

as a place to start.

They may be able to lead you on from there

Or try mycareer.com.au or seek.com.au

There is a bit of an oversupply of IT people at present. I have no idea at all about getting a visa.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 04:11 pm
I realise this is a bit late in this thread, but those thinking of coming to Australia, you don't just have to live in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne or Adelaide. Out of the cities real estate prices drop by half, and while incomes may sometimes be a bit lower, the cheaper cost of living more than makes up for the difference.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 05:41 pm
@febman,
Aus is probably a better bet for jobs in IT; our unemployment rate is one of the highest in the US in Silicon Valley. The funny thing is that our ZIP code still maintains prices pretty well on homes.
hs2501

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 02:13 pm
@Vikky,
Hello Vikky,

I was in same condition as you, we live in Silicon Valley, California, and planning to move there ... just curious, how it worked out for you?
hs2501

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 02:17 pm
@2BRNOT2B,
Hello,

We are in same situation as you are ... just wondering, how did it worked out for you guys?
0 Replies

dreamer1

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 09:38 am
@hs2501,
Hi hs2501, I am on the same thinking boat as you were... Have you located already to Australia... even if not, please share your experience/thoughts in the present time... thanks in advance, it would really help!
0 Replies

dreamer1

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 09:41 am
@2BRNOT2B,
Hi hs2501, I am on the same thinking boat as you were... Have you located already to Australia... even if not, please share your experience/thoughts in the present time... thanks in advance, it would really help!
0 Replies

dreamer1

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 09:41 am
@2BRNOT2B,
Hi 2BRNOT2B, I am on the same thinking boat as you were... Have you located already to Australia... even if not, please share your experience/thoughts in the present time... thanks in advance, it would really help!
0 Replies

dreamer1

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 09:42 am
@Vikky,
Hi Vikky, I am on the same thinking boat as you were... Have you located to Australia already... even if not, please share your experience/thoughts in the present time on US to Aussie move for job... thanks in advance, it would really help!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 09:59 am
@cicerone imposter,
Since I lasted posted on this thread, the employment picture for Silicon Valley has improved dramatically. Our unemployment rate is now below 10%, the first time since 2009, and many companies are planning to hire. A company that just purchased a large building in Palo Alto will be adding 2,500 jobs. The trend looks promising.
0 Replies

dilemmak

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 02:21 pm
@Vikky,
Vikky, So where are you now? Did you change your mind and moved to Aussie or you are still in US? If you have moved to Aussie, now you please share your experiences and thoughts with us.

We are thinking about migrating as well. From US (H-1 visa) to Aus.

-Megha
0 Replies

kaurmigration

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 06:38 pm
@Vikky,
For me, Australian lifestyle is better in all.