edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2018 06:19 pm
From the album Any Day Now
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2018 08:03 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
There do seem to some good songs on those lists that haven't been posted yet. If I'm in the mood sometime and they haven't been posted yet, maybe I'll post some of them.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2018 08:14 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2018 08:17 pm
And When I Die
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2018 09:20 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2018 09:21 pm
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 04:27 am
@oralloy,
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 05:21 am
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 08:23 am
This was my sort of music back then.

Ragman

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 12:27 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
Rolling Stoned rated this song #353

Truly, they're smoking crack!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 12:57 pm
@izzythepush,
Not only was he one off the finest guitarists of his day (very highly sought-after studio musician), but he had a great voice. He was being considered to be a regular in the Beach Boys but that all fell through.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 01:08 pm
@Ragman,
He played with The Champs for a time, too. After Tequila was released.
Ragman

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 01:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's correct, I think that was a Phil Spector group (The Champs).

Glen had done much session work for Beach Boys for around a year. and so knew all of their music (not the lyrics, though). He replaced Brian Wilson who was ill and suffering what was to be diagnosed as a nervous breakdown late in 1964-1965. Glen toured with the BB for 3-4 months but it was Brian Johnston who replace Brian W. on the road while he attempted his recovery.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 01:33 pm
@Ragman,
And his association with the Smothers Brothers helped his career a lot.
Ragman

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 01:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
yes, and I remember Glen's own summer show too, I believe.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 01:39 pm
@Ragman,
Yes. He was on the Smothers Brothers Show and they got him a summer show.
Ragman

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 01:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
He truly fascinates me as a person as well as a musical talent. His rags-to-riches story is an inspiration. Here's an excerpt of his bio about his early days:

"Glen Travis Campbell was born on April 22, 1936 in Billstown, a tiny community near Delight in Pike County, Arkansas, to John Wesley (a sharecropper) and Carrie Dell (Stone) Campbell. Campbell was the seventh son of 12 children.

The family lived on a farm where they barely got by growing cotton, corn, watermelons and potatoes. "We had no electricity," he said, and money was scarce. "A dollar in those days looked as big as a saddle blanket.

To supplement income the family picked cotton for more successful farmers. "I picked cotton for $1.25 a hundred pounds," said Campbell. "If you worked your tail off, you could pick 80 or 90 pounds a day."

Campbell started playing guitar at age four after his uncle Boo gave him a Sears-bought five-dollar guitar as a gift, with his uncle teaching him the basics of how to play. Most of his family was musical, he said. "Back home, everybody plays and sings." By the time he was six he was performing on local radio stations.

Campbell continued playing guitar in his youth, with no formal training, and practiced when he was not working in the cotton fields. He developed his talent by listening to radio and records, and considered Django Reinhardt among his most admired guitarists, whom he called "the most awesome player I ever heard."

He dropped out of school at 14 to work in Houston alongside his brothers, installing insulation and later working at a gas station.

Not satisfied with that kind of unskilled work, Campbell started playing music at fairs and church picnics and singing gospel hymns in the church choir. He was able to find spots performing on local radio stations and after his parents moved to Houston, he made some appearances in a local nightclub.

In 1954, at age 17, Campbell moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico, to join his uncle's band, known as Dick Bills and the Sandia Mountain Boys. He also appeared there on his uncle's radio show and on K Circle B Time, the local children's program on KOB television. It was there that he met his first wife, whom he married when he was 17 and she was 16."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 01:52 pm
I agree. I admired him and loved his music.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 01:53 pm
@Ragman,
I was wrong when I said that The Champs was a Phil Spector group; however, that group was composed mainly of members of the collection of studio musicians later called The Wrecking Crew. The sax player Rio was a member of the Wrecking Crew. Phil S. had used them extensively, as did many pop groups of the days. Probably 75-80% of tops-of-the-pops hits had a member or two of that group.

0 Replies