jesus and mary magdelene

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 12:41 pm
wandeljw wrote:
CoastalRat may have been thinking about a 1982 book called "Holy Blood, Holy Grail". That book contends that Jesus survived the crucifixion and established a bloodline with Mary Magdalene.

You may be right. I may have been confusing the two. As I said, I have not read The Da Vinci Code and you know how easy it is to hear things about the book and get it confused in your mind with other books and such. At least it is for me, but then I'm just a silly old clown. lol
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 02:32 pm
CoastalRat,

All of this is fantasy only, but would it make any difference if Pontius Pilate was bribed to botch the crucifixion? (I think that was the presumption in the 1982 book.)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 02:38 pm
There have been any number of stories written and published with the thesis that Jesus survived the crucifixtion (there's precedent for that; read Josephus). A nonfiction book that was a best-seller back in the 1970s or thereabouts, The Passover Plot (I forget the author's name) postulated that Jesus was supposed to survive but that the fly in the ointment was the spear that a Roman soldier thrust into his side to end the suffering. This screwed up all the well-laid plans of the Apostles, according to this thesis. 2,000 years after the fact, it's possible to make up almost any scenario one cares to come up with.
0 Replies

wales rules

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 02:56 pm
I would like to put my opinion in here. I believe Jesus did marry someone, whether it was Mary Magdalene, who knows, but wasn't Jesus a Jew, and therefore, would have to have been married, at least once. I don't see why he couldn't have children either. I looked up something earlier which stated that Jesus had a daughter named Sarah. I also read something that said that in Leonardo Da Vinci's painting, The Last Supper, Mary Magdalene is pictured next to Jesus on His right. When I saw this I observed that the person on Jesus' right looks extremely feminine, and is wearing the same colours as Jesus, but in the Ying Yang fashion, Jesus' clothing is blue and red, whereas Mary's is red and blue, I don't know if that means anything but it was interesting!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 03:30 pm
That's one of the major points in The DaVinci Code, wales_rules.
0 Replies

wales rules

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 03:56 pm
Well I guess what I read earlier must've been an extract from the book or something.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 04:53 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
boomerang wrote:
When the di Vinci Code was raging I asked some Christian friends this same question. The only answer they could provide was that Jesus, because of his divine nature, was above bodily temptations. They had a hard time with "lusty Jesus".

But he wasn't above any other human emotion so why desire/passion? There is nothing wrong with sexuality. God made it.

My mom nearly had a heart attack when I brought this up. It seems that the Church has throughly embedded certain beliefs that will not change.

Yeah, or it could be that a lot of people just choke on the idea that Jesus was divine, and so keep trying to judge him as just a man.
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:42 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Some say that the children of Sion are the decendents of Christ. The Priory of Sion is a made up (or so it is said) organization from the DaVinci Code. Either way, Jesus was a man, so why wouldn't he marry? Why wouldn't he have children with a wife he loved? The idea that Jesus felt he was somehow better than everyone else is just plain silly.

As far as Christianity is concerned Jesus is God incarnate! The Word made flesh! The Holy of Holies! Perfection itself, Love itself, Truth itself! Don't you see the absurdity in the concept of Jesus marrying and having children? He didn't come to Earth to live a worldly life. He came to proclaim the Kingdom of God and to atone for the sins of mankind. Even all these things put aside, don't you think it would have been irresponsible of him to marry and have children when he knew he was going to be crucified?

Quote:
Not to mention, the creation of life is the most holy thing a human can do. Why wouldn't a man of God, the Son of God no less, participate in the closest thing to godliness, the thing which brings you as close to God as you can ever be while on this earth. Why wouldn't he be a part of the creation of new life?

There's a reason why he was born of a virgin. You must understand that Jesus is Purity itself, perfect in Holiness. There is no stain of sin on him whatsoever. The idea of him submitting to lust is beyond inconceivable. Not to mention that leaving descendants would have been extremely unwise for numerous different reasons.
0 Replies

the sleeper

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:53 pm
If God is all powerfull
here's a question that monks used to debate for hours, If God was all powerfull, could he create a rock he couldn't lift? Chew on that cookie for awhile and debate it.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 08:04 am
Speculation about Mary Magdalene reminds me of speculation about UFO'S. "DaVinci Code" can be considered equivalent to "X Files".
0 Replies

yelloworld

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 10:30 pm
Does it not say somewhere in Luke that Jesus, in a very hormonal rage, struck a fellow boy dead in the street when he was a teenager cos saifd boy wouldnt get out of his way? Am i making that up? But, if not, surely that would suggest Jesus is, in fact, not free of sin at all? Therefore subject to all human emotions? Including love?
Of course its entirely plausible he didnt marry even though it was the norm for a jewish man of that age at that time - he had alot to do in a very short space of time
0 Replies

char

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 03:32 am
the di vinci code
i have been reading all your thoughts on the di vinci code. i agree that you have to remember that this book was intended for entertainment. although it is very interesting and does make you question christianity it is only a book. Very Happy
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 03:54 am
yelloworld wrote:
Does it not say somewhere in Luke that Jesus, in a very hormonal rage, struck a fellow boy dead in the street when he was a teenager cos saifd boy wouldnt get out of his way? Am i making that up?

That's from the 'Apocrypha', parts of the Bible that have been dropped because they are not exactly true (that is the meaning of apocryphal). I am not planning to wade into these murky waters, but there are two telling stories that are from the Gospels that do reveal the darker side of Christ...

1. Someone says to JC 'I can't come with you because I have to bury my father' - JC says 'Let the dead bury the dead'. I can't emphasise just how important the burial of the dead is in Judiasm. It seems a fiesty thing to say, but it is an all-out attack on the religion of the time - only the 'dead' follow those outmoded things, we're the new wave!

2. JC finds a fig tree that is not bearing fruit because it is the wrong season. He's really pissed and curses it. Next time we hear of it, it has been blighted and withered and died. A miracle say the followers!! Yeah right!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 12:54 pm
...yup, and all that walking on water stuff proved is that he couldn't swim.
0 Replies

Emerald

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 07:10 pm
Jesus was always considered a prophet until Emperor Constantine held the Council of Nicea. it was at this council that Jesus was declared 'divine'..... man made Jesus 'divine', Not God, not Jesus himself.... Jesus was raised as a Jew.... so why wouldn't he follow custom and marry...... he knew God had a plan but prove that he knew what the plan was......
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 09:37 pm
IS what Emerald saying true? Because that is VERY interesting.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 11:48 pm
Critical Question for Christians: Is Jesus God?

Quote:
In THEIR OWN WORDS. . .FROM the CREED of NICEA

NOTE: This creed is not to be confused with what is now known as the Nicene Creed.

"We believe in one God, the Father almighty, maker of all things visible and invisible. And we believe in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, begotten from the Father, only begotten, that is from the Father's substance, light from light, true God from true God, begotten not made, of one substance with the Father. Through him were made all things, both in heaven and on earth. For us and for our salvation he came down, was incarnate and became human. He suffered, rose again on the third day, ascended into the heavens and is coming to judge the living and the dead. And we believe in the Holy Spirit. But those who say, 'there was once when he was not' and 'before he was begotten he was not,' and that 'he was made out of nothing,' or who affirm that 'the Son is of a different hypostasis or substance,' or that he is mutable or changeable - these the catholic and apostolic church anathematizes."

Quote:
One final note. Constantine so often takes a beating for corrupting Christianity and making it the official state religion. He did not make it the state religion. That didn't come until some 70 years later in 381 with Emperor Theodosius. Quite the contrary, Constantine may have taken huge political risks in his identification as a Christian, and his assistance to the church, when the rest of the surrounding political power structure was still steeped in paganism.
0 Replies

Emerald

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 04:17 am
no one is giving Constantine a bashing, the point i am making is that man/humans made the church what it is today. all the doctrine and dogma has been created by man. Not Jesus.... Jesus was a jew......
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 09:34 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
That's from the 'Apocrypha', parts of the Bible that have been dropped because they are not exactly true...

Uhhh, alledgedly perhaps.

Quote:
(that is the meaning of apocryphal).

I think that you have cause and effect mixed up a little here.

Quote:
but there are two telling stories that are from the Gospels that do reveal the darker side of Christ...

How about (and I'm telling this from memory so forgive any misquotations)

"So Jesus told his followers that he would not go and they should go without him. Yet later he went, as in secret."

w00t, Jesus' claims come from a known liar.
0 Replies