Are one's actions more important than one's religion ?

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 03:51 pm
Picture this impossible situation.

Religion doesn't exist and the entire world is peaceful. Everyone genuinely cares about the well being of everyone else. Would any God, if such an entity exists, not be happy with this situation? Or does it need to be worshiped in certain ways to be satisfied?

Personally I would rather see people be more concerned with their fellow humanoids than with specific religious rituals designed to save themselves.

To become "religious" to save ones self is not to be religious but to be selfish. To do something not because it helps ones own situation, but because one recognizes it is the thing to do, is to be religious.

Thoughts ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 996 • Replies: 15
No top replies

duce

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 04:22 pm
One's actions are usually tied VERY closely to One's religion. Cool

The Agnostics-Can't believe in anything and it shows. (Maybe this, Maybe that, Alot of them like the "Path" approach).

The Atheists- Believe in "nothing" save their Egos.
(The religious say they are in denial)

The Religious- Belive "their" take on it is the BEST one. (The Atheists say they made it up cause they are afraid to rely on themselves)

Alot of this carries over into daily lives. None of this is mean to be controversial, it's just an observation in GENERAL.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 05:29 pm
Re: Are one's actions more important than one's religion ?
CerealKiller wrote:
Picture this impossible situation.

Religion doesn't exist and the entire world is peaceful. Everyone genuinely cares about the well being of everyone else. Would any God, if such an entity exists, not be happy with this situation? Or does it need to be worshiped in certain ways to be satisfied?

Personally I would rather see people be more concerned with their fellow humanoids than with specific religious rituals designed to save themselves.

To become "religious" to save ones self is not to be religious but to be selfish. To do something not because it helps ones own situation, but because one recognizes it is the thing to do, is to be religious.

Thoughts ?

First off....let me say it is nice to see you back, Derwood. I am very happy to see you! Razz

I love your scenario, as impossible as it is. And in my opinion, for what it is worth, I doubt that any "God" would be displeased with that situation, but instead very satisfied that "His" creation is actually living according to his "plan". (provided of course, there is a God with a Plan) Now, don't everyone go jumping down me throat here about what "Gods Plan" is. I have not a clue. I just think in a non-religious scenario as you described, that we could only be living in the best interests of everyone and in doing so I can't see how any displeasure could arise.

It WOULD be amazing though if we all had the ability to set all religion aside, give peace a chance, love our fellow man and see where it would go.....
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 11:05 pm
Lady J wrote:

First off....let me say it is nice to see you back, Derwood. I am very happy to see you! Razz

I love your scenario, as impossible as it is. And in my opinion, for what it is worth, I doubt that any "God" would be displeased with that situation, but instead very satisfied that "His" creation is actually living according to his "plan". (provided of course, there is a God with a Plan) Now, don't everyone go jumping down me throat here about what "Gods Plan" is. I have not a clue. I just think in a non-religious scenario as you described, that we could only be living in the best interests of everyone and in doing so I can't see how any displeasure could arise.

It WOULD be amazing though if we all had the ability to set all religion aside, give peace a chance, love our fellow man and see where it would go.....

But religion teaches us that we were created to love and worship God -- anything less displeases God. If we created a world of peace on our own but turned away from God's word in doing so -- wouldn't this be displeasing to God ?
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 01:25 am
Quote:
But religion teaches us that we were created to love and worship God -- anything less displeases God. If we created a world of peace on our own but turned away from God's word in doing so -- wouldn't this be displeasing to God ?

Well sir, I truly cannot answer that question, not being a bibliophile in any sense of the word. I can only offer my own viewpoints and opinions. First, was it god who said we needed religion to love and worship him or was it religion that said we need to love and worship him? And all religious teachings aside, cannot one person, believe that there is a God and by living to create peace and love among his fellow men be, in an essence, loving and worshipping God to that extent? Love your neighbor as you would love yourself. Love yourself as you would love God?

I don't see how creating peace and love among our neighbors would displease god, as long as we also loved and worshipped him. To create peace does not mean we worship our neighbor, does it?

I believe in god, but I don't believe in religion Do you feel that this displeases god? Even though at every chance or moment I have, I try to live by what I feel in my own heart would be pleasing to god. The only religious teachings I have ever had in my life were taught to me when I was very young...say 3, 4 and 5 years old. In fact the ONLY thing I really remember of those times is a little song:

Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight
Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Pretty innocent, huh? But that is the basic standard that I have followed and believed all of my life. If I follow that one innocent, naive example, how could I possibly displease a god?
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 07:55 am
CerealKiller wrote:
If we created a world of peace on our own but turned away from God's word in doing so -- wouldn't this be displeasing to God ?

The story of the tower of babel certainly seems to imply that.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 07:22 am
I do think God would be happy if the whole world was living peacefully...but I'm not sure why we could not love God and our fellow humans. This is what Jesus taught...but it's just like humans to go and mess up a good thing. If we ever do achieve world peace, I think that religion may or may not be the reason...maybe someday we will be able to just discuss things with each other(like what we are doing now Smile ) and we will actually respect each other enough not to kill one another.
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 02:37 am
I totally agree with lady J 100%. I am exactly the same. I believe in god and I find that I constantly do that corny, "What would jesus do" in my conscience. I rarley go to church. I break some of the ten commandments, I believe the church has very wrong views on gays and non christians. I've never read the bible. But, I still believe in something bigger than myself. Athiests will be quick to tell me that i'm ignoring the facts about the existence of a god. I know the facts, i'm a very science conscience person. For heavens sake I almast got a degree in engineering!
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:21 am
Tenoch wrote:
I totally agree with lady J 100%. I am exactly the same. I believe in god and I find that I constantly do that corny, "What would jesus do" in my conscience.

My conscience is more "What would Daniel Jackson do?"... We all have our role-models.

Quote:
I rarely go to church. I break some of the ten commandments, I believe the church has very wrong views on gays and non christians.

Sounds like you're not really much of a christian. (not intended to be offensive). Just because you believe in a god doesn't mean you have to believe in the christian one. Keep that in mind and you may find your ideas on religion will grow and flourish if you're open to the many possibilities I'm sure you'll think on when you consider religion without the bias of a particular faith.

Quote:
I've never read the bible.

One wonders then how you attempt to guess what Jesus would do in a certain situation if you haven't read any of the stories about his life. What you must be doing is imagining "what would a perfectly moral person do?" Which just means you're trying to be as moral as you can imagine. Not a bad goal at all.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:31 am
Oh for anyone confused, Daniel Jackson is a character out of the TV series stargate. He's usually the voice of morality on the team since the rest are military officers and he's an archaeologist.
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:37 am
You're right by saying, i'm not much of a christian. But i do believe in god and think Jesus is an excellent role model. They never really made me read the bible in all my years of bible study. But you don't have to know the specific stories to understand the spirit of jesus.

My religion is my own. No church can tell me that it's wrong just like no athiest can either.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:50 am
Tenoch wrote:
But you don't have to know the specific stories to understand the spirit of jesus.

Yeah... like I said, the spirit is that of imagined perfect morality. Not a bad rolemodel.

Quote:
My religion is my own. No church can tell me that it's wrong just like no athiest can either.

Good policy. As long as you keep it open to your OWN self-examination and as long as people can convince you that you're wrong. (What I'm saying is by all means make up your own mind in the end, but keep an open mind to what people suggest).

Though just for the record it's spelled atheist, I know that goes against the whole "i before e except after c" rule but that's english for you.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 12:06 pm
theantibuddha wrote:
Tenoch wrote:
But you don't have to know the specific stories to understand the spirit of jesus.

Yeah... like I said, the spirit is that of imagined perfect morality. Not a bad rolemodel.

Quote:

Good policy. As long as you keep it open to your OWN self-examination and as long as people can convince you that you're wrong. (What I'm saying is by all means make up your own mind in the end, but keep an open mind to what people suggest).

Though just for the record it's spelled atheist, I know that goes against the whole "i before e except after c" rule but that's english for you.
I have found that atheists are the least open-minded people, their desire for 'no god' is more than their desire for the truth.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 01:32 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
I have found that atheists are the least open-minded people, their desire for 'no god' is more than their desire for the truth.

Thanks TR, that wasn't at all relevant to the statement or conversation you quoted but who cares, insults are always welcome company.

In that spirit I just thought I'd toss a nice irrelevant "you listen to country and western music and enjoy square dancing" your way. I always so like to get into the occasion.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 01:39 pm
Actually it did have a little relevance. In my journey of education, I have found that many claim to be open-minded, yet they hardly show it. I shouldn't judge but it just seems that way.
0 Replies

Rancid

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:36 pm
Quote:

I know you are, you said you are, so what am I?
0 Replies