Lets write the modern Bible.

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 03:42 am
Time for a new Bible relevant to the world today...

Here it goes..please add on...

In the beginning all Gods created heaven and earth
And the earth had been formed for billions of years
Changes took place which effected the whole world and its people.......
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,535 • Replies: 20
No top replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 06:52 am
Good idea! When it's done, lets bury it in the ground so someone finds it years from now and calls it "the voice of god"!
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 07:49 am
If you're going to go through the bother of rewriting the Bible, at least do it right. Make it quite clear that the myths and symbols are not to be taken literally; that only spreads more strife and confusion. For instance, that the Virgin Birth is taken literally is absurd and childish, something like Santa Claus being taken literally. Both stories are for children. The Virgin Birth symbolizes the opening of the heart to the world, so we can reach a stage of life beyond personal greed and power. Thus you can see the difference between the religion of George Bush and the spirituality of Jimmy Carter. One preaches power and the other compassion.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 07:57 am
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 08:29 am
stand up for pessimism-Il record it all on a dictaphone to make it extra modern.People will freak when they find it, they will be listening to a womans voice!!

Paulaj-Im a bit thick,whats a ream?

Coluber2001
....2.If ye parents tell you of a Bunny of East and a bearded man with a full sack,take heed as they are lying.Believe in them not as only dissapointment will saturate you in the end.

3.Heareth me and you will learn
Kids CANNOT be made without sperm.

4.Genesis;Volume 1/Jesus he knows me-Just do as I say, dont do as I do.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 09:10 am
Here ya go :

In the begining noone was there to witness how things are created. Science has found ______________.
Humans evolved from ____________ and have since begun to be able to do ______________________.
To live together we must accept every and all other people no matter race, color, creed, sexual orientation, or personal beliefs. The meaning of each individual life is a cumulative desire to do better. Each individual life is defined by what it is capable of doing for themselves and for others. To work twords a global and possible universal community is the grounds for eternal peace.
Begin there, and your rewards will be abundant
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 09:15 am
SHEWOLFMN-YOUR MY NEW GOD!!!

Il start a campaign,we can have you in a regal looking house with loadsa disciples in no time.Il get Simon Cowell involved!!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 09:16 am
I came across this quote in today's newspaper and I've been trying to figure out where I can use it.

This might be a great place!

"We have kids killing kids because they think they're just a bunch of people descended from monkeys, with no one to answer to" he said. "If I took a bunch of guns to the zoo and handed them out to the monkeys, we'd have a bunch of dead monkeys. My problem is not with guns. My problem is with calling my kids monkeys."

(Remind me never to call anyone's kid, especially this guy's kid, a monkey, okay?)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 09:22 am
We could title it Grims fairy tales. Volume 2
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 09:43 am
grims fairy tales!!!
Laughing
that is great!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 09:50 am
I dont think kids think long term.They just live in the moment and if something goes wrong their parents can deal with it.Or they are trying to act cool.
There was a murder a few years back and a gang of racist lads were charged with it.All the pics of them in the paper were of them walking in a group like the posters of Resevoir Dogs,they all had shades on.They had a very carefree attitude like it was cool to be charged for a murder.
There ws also a recent murder of a 14 yera lod girl by her teenage boyfriend.He looked like as atan worshipper, again, Ive no doubt he thought it was cool.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 09:59 am
the bible second chapter would go something like this :

Our quest to understand all and everything is what makes us humans. To feed that desire is what makes humans great. In feeding this desire lets not forget the smaller animals on this planet. For our survival they are critical. They supply food and play a huge part in the upkeep of where we live.
Our global and universal visions must always include the little lives under our feet. They hold the key to a clean healthy globe.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 10:57 am
shewolf, the only reason I don't like your idea is because it's not a story. People are simple. They like stories. Tell us a story shewolf! Tell us a story!

Not to mention, stories are much easier to remember and to teach to children. It's also easier to extract a new meaning from a story if the old meaning becomes invalidated.

Understanding that myth is the language of religion, we need a new mythos through which we can convey a message. I also think the whole thing should remain an oral text. Oral texts change as the people change. Written texts are concrete, canonized, and less flexible.

If it is an oral text, the language must remain simple to aide in retelling.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 11:00 am
We don't have to start with creation. Just because the biblical texts are midrash on history doesn't mean the new bible has to be.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 12:05 pm
dauer wrote:
. Tell us a story shewolf! Tell us a story!

OK, ok, ok....

One time, in band camp...

Laughing

Good point though. Stories fuel the imagination and people tend to pay more attention and retain things better when presented with a story..
hmmm
i can think about this and write a good story.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 01:26 pm
Lets add a disclaimer at the end:

*Anyone who reads this and accepts the tenets presented herein without examination or reflection, or uses any part of this document as justification for harming another human being (physically, emotionally or economically) is an idiot unworthy of God's love and should be excommunicated. Seriously.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 01:56 pm
Drew dad.
excommunicated by whom the thousands of clergy that did the deed on the young boys?
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 05:39 pm
I don't think we should include a disclaimer like that. I think one of the stories should be about a person taking something they heard literally and causing great harm because of it.

Are these stories going to be about people, animals, gods, plants, or what? Are they going to use the familiar characters or create new ones? Is a higher power going to ever be mentioned directly or indirectly? Is there going to be any description whatsoever of this higher power? Who is this book meant for? Why would it interest that audience?

Dauer
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 03:16 am
Good point dauer.

I suppose it would be meant for the youth of today who would like to know how the world has changed over the years and theyd like to know what is expected of them as a member of this planet that we all share.

The Bible is old fashioned an doesnt relate to life today, as are religions.

Yes it would be based around good/religion,maybe some people ar enot interested or just tired off it but it would be a book thats avaliable when its needed,lurking in the background.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 06:30 am
You know, there is already a modern version of the Bible - The Boomer Bible -

Product Description:
In the beginning there was the Holy Bible
2 Which was a very good book indeed, but so many things happened since the beginning,
3 That Maybe it was time for another bible,
4 So a punk from Philadelphia wrote a new one,
5 And so it is called The Boomer Bible,
6 So there.
7 And Its Past Testament tells the history of the world, including the Book of Greeks, Book of Brits, Book of Yanks, Book of Russkies, and all the other self-proclaimed Chosen Nations,
8 And people sticking each other with pointed sticks, and acting up, which is called civilization,
9 And also about religion and art and movies and literature, and TV, and so forth, which is why there are also the Books of Pnowlege,
10 Including Psongs, Psayings, and Psomethings,
11 Written just like the other Bible but without any big unpronounceable words,
12 So that you and I might truly understand it,
13 For a change.
14 And Its Present Testament tells about the coming of Harry, and The Way of Harry,
15 Who may be the messiah everybody has been waiting for,
16 Unless he really isn't,
17 Which is hard to say,
18 So there.
19 And there is also The Book of Harrier Brayer together with the Harrier Hymnal,
20 And another Testament too,
21 And Concordance, and a lenticular hand on the cover.
22 And It is not for the faint of heart,
23 Or the easily offended,
24 Or the priggish or the prudish,
25 But who cares,
26 Because neither was Candide, or Swift's A Modest Proposal, or Rabelais, or Lenny Bruce
28 Or all the other satires and satirists who felt the need to warn us when we have gone astray,
29 Which we have,
29 Which you'll know all about,
31 If you read your Boomer Bible
0 Replies