And the philosophical question for the day is ...

Gouki

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 04:55 pm
What is a "person"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 965 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 09:53 am
Person- sweedish surname that corresponds to the fisrt name Per. Originally the name means son of Per, but the only country that still maintains this meaning is Iceland. If you were to move to Iceland, you would have to change your surname to whatever your fathers first name was and put a "son" to it. With mothers and daughters it is the same thing, only then the name ends "dottir", wich means daughter.

Example: Jack Johnson. In iceland everyone would assume that Jack's father's name was John.

I bet you didn't think of that response :wink:
0 Replies

Gouki

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 08:01 pm
lol brilliant! anything else?
0 Replies

val

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 01:43 am
Gouki

Person = Persona = mask
0 Replies

Gouki

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 03:39 pm
hehe, any other "definitions" other than play of words? e.g. how would you classify some1 as a person?
0 Replies

carditel

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 04:06 pm
A self contained individual.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 04:12 pm
Uh, a human? (maybe I'm not understanding the underlying complexity of the question)
0 Replies

val

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 03:10 am
Gouki

There is a legal definition, at least in West Europe: someone that is the subject of rights and obligations.

Or, to put it simply, like Snod said: an human being.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 08:00 am
Quote:
Or, to put it simply, like Snod said: an human being.

I have a problem with that. It doesn't include monkeys, but they do have personalities.

Quote:

There is a legal definition, at least in West Europe: someone that is the subject of rights and obligations.

This one takes animals into it, so it's better. But is it important who decides what the rights and obligations are to be?
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 12:23 pm
A person is that which possesses personality capable of being distinguished from other similar items through its quirks in behaviour.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 12:24 pm
I wrote:
A person is that which possesses personality capable of being distinguished from other similar items through its quirks in behaviour.

You know, plenty of humans wouldn't fit this definition Wink I just realised that.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 05:02 pm
Don't know why, antibuddha, but when I saw that you'd written "I wrote" above the quote I just started laughing. I thought that was funny. Talk about thinking out loud. Very Happy
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 08:31 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Don't know why, antibuddha, but when I saw that you'd written "I wrote" above the quote I just started laughing. I thought that was funny. Talk about thinking out loud. Very Happy

Very Happy That was it's purpose and I'm glad to hear that it succeeded. I noticed how the quote thing worked and figured out a way I could hack it to be more amusing...
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 09:37 pm
A person is a being who is consciously aware of itself, its interactions with the world, and its relationship to other beings and objects. Dogs are not persons, but primates might be. I doubt that any artificial intelligence will ever attain a sense of self or be capable of empathy.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 04:48 am
Terry, by your definition of a person I'd say just about every mammal is a person.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 11:49 pm
Terry wrote:
A person is a being who is consciously aware of itself, its interactions with the world, and its relationship to other beings and objects. Dogs are not persons, but primates might be.

Animal behaviour studies have demonstrated that primates DO fullfill all your above listed criteria.

Quote:
I doubt that any artificial intelligence will ever attain a sense of self or be capable of empathy.

Why not?
0 Replies