I was in the USAF back in the late 1950's

Reply Fri 25 May, 2018 08:04 pm
I worked with conventional and nuclear weapons. We maintained them, and loaded them onto B52's, B47's and B36's. I was stationed at Travis AFB in California, Ben Guerir AFB in Morocco, and Walker AFB in New Mexico.
The Air Force is still flying those B52's; it's really an amazing airplane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbABPcBeaLo
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 382 • Replies: 2
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 May, 2018 08:45 pm
I once hitched a ride with the air force. Rode a Globemaster cargo plane from San Antonio to Riverside. If memory serves, it was an 8 hour trip. The canvas seats that fold away from the bulkhead seem uncomfortable, at first, but they really weren't bad. The cabin was not pressurized. We rode at 8,000 feet. It felt like riding an eighteen wheeler down the highway.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 May, 2018 09:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
I hitched a ride on a B29 from New Mexico to Riverside CA, and sat in the front bubble. We flew over the airplane graveyard in Tucson on the way to CA. That was some experience!

While stationed at Ben Guerir AFB in Morocco, I was able to hitch rides to Madrid, Paris and London. That's when my love of travel started, and I've visited all seven continents and a total of 122 countries since then.

I've been fortunate to have traveled so much, and having made friends in so many of those countries.

Our son was also in the USAF, but he was an officer. He was a Weapons Officer who directed bomber pilots where to drop their ordnance.
0 Replies