Blanket statement about women may make a great conversation

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 07:44 pm
The rules of society only allow a woman to go so far in her sexual identity.
Most women are too scared to step out of this, instead accept it and call it
empowering.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,159 • Replies: 66
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 09:08 pm
i may be missing the point, but i agree, we should be empowering more women to have sex
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 09:16 pm
ok seriously

at least in the area of entertainment i think we give women a much greater ability to explore their sexual identity, male homsexuality is pretty much relegated to cable (at least in terms of actual displays of affection), where as lesbian couples are accepted on most standard broadcast (with some controversy granted)

there is still the social convention that women who sleep around are sluts while men who do this are loveable cads, but i think even this is changing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 09:32 pm
HAHA!! ( great opener! )

It is changing. and for the better.
You arent missing the point . Dont worry, there isnt a concrete point to this statement.

i made the statement to mr wolf a few hours ago when we were discussing the social behaviors of women and how it seems to both of us that alot of women have taken on a role, make themselves fit into it , and use it to define themselves as a woman.
WEAK example.. " If I am a woman then I must like pink,wear makeup and have a cat"
So many women are almost carbon copies of the next that they are getting boring.
( well anyways, that is where the statement came from)

In the area of entertainment.. ( i am using strip joints for an example ) there is still little room to move if you are a woman. Yeah, you can take your clothes off, dance around and make money. People pay you to do this. Some of those same people rape you later and tell you that you like it. Some of those same people think you are trash. Some of those same people wouldnt talk to you if you were to see them on the street because they have deemed you a " slut"

hmmm...
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 11:14 pm
Quote:
In the area of entertainment.. ( i am using strip joints for an example ) there is still little room to move if you are a woman. Yeah, you can take your clothes off, dance around and make money. People pay you to do this. Some of those same people rape you later and tell you that you like it. Some of those same people think you are trash. Some of those same people wouldnt talk to you if you were to see them on the street because they have deemed you a " slut

and some people will still treat you like a human being and treat you with respect.

I wish girls weren't so similar. I'm tired of dating girls that are all the same. They all wear the same brand jeans. They all wear the same perfumes. They all listen to the same music. And they all value the same things. I find it refreshing when I meet a girl who is different. Tomboys, career driven women, punk-rock girls all turn me on.

It' funny cause everytime i meet a girl who is different, she doesn't have that many female friends. It almost seems like females are more critical about their own gender sometimes.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 12:02 am
I think, Tenoch, that older women are more likely to dress like Themselves. Younger women all look like they're wearing uniforms, to me. High-school girls look like little clones. But that's the way high school is, and was, and probably always will be.

Wait, are you saying a young career-driven woman is an exception to the rule? Yikes, I hope not!

I remember when I went to college in 1979, I was so bitterly disappointed that most of the women I met were there to find husbands, never mind learning anything. PLEASE tell me things have changed!

In fact I've been disappointed to learn how many girls these days want to grow up to be "princesses." Cripes, what's wrong with a Senator, or an astronaut? What are we teaching them, anyway?

Shewolf, I'm pretty sure you're younger than my 43. I've been quietly hoping all these years that the women who come after me will be more able to just be people than the women who came before me. Please tell me they are.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 12:46 am
They are. Women are much more assertive than in the past. From a man's point of view the road has got to be more fraught with peril. Doesn't matter to me because I'm 65 and past the time for being an ardent hunter. The flip side of the coin I'm seeing a lot more lonely women. Despite the hope that the two sexes aren't relegating themselves to an insurmountable impasse evidence that this is happening is abundant.

This is a statement based on personal observation and can in no way be relegated to a scientific survey. I'm seeing the women. I'm sure they're seeing the men. If I might be permitted to illustrate a modern interaction a woman new to the firm and working at the desk next to me was very aggressive and in a discussion made a statement that I agreed to. She reacted aggressively saying that the discusssion was not humorous. My reply was that I had agreed with her. She stopped with a puzzled expression on her face and looked to a female coworker at the next desk. The woman said to her "He agreed with you."

To sum up she found it hard to believe she had done that and became apologetic. I told her I was not offended. We became and still are friends. But the flip side of the coin is how many people be they him or her don't reach the point where we understand and in fact sympathize with the other ? Dollars to doughnuts many times it's not resolved and a perpetual enmity is formed. Sad? Yes!

There's no question in my mind that both sides have to listen to each other in order to normalize the situation. I believe there is fault on both sides and I'm willing to say the major fault lies with the men. I'm glad I'm past all that. Good luck, future generations.
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 01:41 am
Borris-

About girls in college:

It all depends. Some girls I absolutely hated because they expected a free pass because they were good looking. If we were assigned group work or projects they assumed us nerdy kids would do all the work for them. most males didn't care if the girl was hot.

Of course this wasn't always the girls fault. Some girls who wanted to be treated equally where not because of us guys. Because they were pretty, we didn't expect much from them and that is our fault.
Girls who where really dedicated eventually earned my respect just like any other student.

in fields like engineering, math, and sciences, the male to female ratio was like 10:1. Girls always had like two or three volunteers for tutoring or study groups the first day of class. They never had problems getting help if they didn't understand something. God dam, i hated these girls(probably more jealous than antything). I used to be extra mean to them and demanding towards them. Sometimes guy would sacrifice their own grades in order to help out a girl because she was good looking. I used to get so mad at some of my male friends for this.

school was supposed to be about learning, but sexuality found a way to spoil some of it.
0 Replies

wales rules

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 05:54 am
Hi guyz! Just wanted to get my point in here! In my opinion women today are living in a ''male dominated'' world. All the top jobs in the world today are held by men! While women, the obviously superior gender, are left with secretarial jobs! The only woman with a decent job is ''Candoleeza'', but she's hardly a woman is she!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 06:07 am
"Candoleeza". That's pretty funny. Was that intentional?

FTR, I'm with all y'all sistahs. Power to the poonanny. Somehow I get the idea there'd be fewer wars if more women were in charge.

I have a question, though:

How are we ever going to come up with some constructive criticism for all our wonderful transgendered friends?
0 Replies

wales rules

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 07:24 am
Yes ''Candoleeza'' was intentional. I'm sure ''we'' can come up with plenty of critiscism! Maybe shewolf should get us started?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 08:38 am
PDiddie wrote:

FTR, I'm with all y'all sistahs. Power to the poonanny. Somehow I get the idea there'd be fewer wars if more women were in charge.

PPPbbthh...
there wouldnt be fewer, they would just be regulated..
to every 28 days.... Shocked
Laughing
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 08:41 am
lol
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 08:49 am
Boris -
You are right in thinking that the young girls of today ARE diffrent.. but IMO.. not by much.
Instead of the princess /at home mom fantasy, it is almost a sence of " I just need to get by"
GRANTED.. that is a big blanket statement. But unfortunatly, you see more and more young women doing just that.
I remember when I was in college and I was trying to get into some pre-reqs for general surgeory, I was laughed at by ALOT of men. Alot of the men in some of my classes were just shocked that i wanted to be anything other then a nurse. ?! WTF? Men are nurses too. It isnt a womans only job.. of course, thier responce were Male nurses HAVE to be gay.
Well, NO THEY DONT. And it doesnt matter if they are gay or NOT.. they are still a nurse. And the torment began.. I was a 'bull dike' for wanting a position of power in the medical field. I was a frigid woman , an Ice Queen.. ( ha! if they only knew that it took just one beer and i was anything BUT an ice queen.. Embarrassed did I admit that out loud? )
But the gender roles were in place then and though people say they arent NOW.. they are.
I wasnt in school but maybe 15 years ago? So things have not changed much since then I guarantee it.

Tenoch is right about about women, young women that is, that wear all of the same thing. They are bubble-gum pop stars in thier own britches because that is what is OK. That is what is acceptable. And those who are not, usually do NOT have female friends. Me being a great example of that. 90% of my friends are male. Females and I do not get along. I am not a foo foo princess who thinks her sh!t dont stink. ANd frankly I can smell up a bathroom with the best of them. My choice of humor and language makes me very abrasive to other females and my interests make me masculine. I dont have the need to shop every day and read the big fashion magazines and google other men. I have a brain and I enjoy using it.
There are acceptions to these rules though. Hillary Clinton. ( OHHHHh dont turn this thread into a political thread!! Laughing PLEASE! Laughing She is a great example for what I want to say.. )
Hillary spent most of her life getting aneducation. I dont think she stopped college until she was almost 30 years old. She chased what was considered male dominated subjects. And did acceptionaly well. Still does to this day.. and what is she labled? Ice Queen.
She fell out of the norm society has allowed women to be in and is now shunned and publicly denied her sexuality and her femininity . Ice Queen, B!tch, Fridgid, etc.. are all terms thrown her way. Why ?
Because she is smart. And that is intimidating.
Our society preaches equality for women, men and children.
Funny.. when it comes down to it, preaching and acting are 2 diffrent things.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 09:02 am
acck... I didnt do my math well. but i refuse to use the edit button in hopes that it helps the site run smoother..

I was in school 10 years ago.. not 15
0 Replies

wales rules

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 09:23 am
Almost the same as me, I left school 12 years ago. Maybe that should go on my profile... nah.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 09:56 am
Even though shes in stir, Martha Stewart didnt accept the prevailing theories.
My wife has an IQ higher than mine, she took tai kwon doh nd could kick my ass. She is president of our company and takes care of the money, thus freeing me up to work on a2K, and occasionally do real work.
Yep, I got it good.
Now, if she werent so damn afraid of spiders
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 10:03 am
Laughing
those tuff little spiders can bring down even the most steeled spine cant they?!

Hmm.. martha stewart. another good example. !
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 10:54 am
So depressing! It seems So Perfectly Obvious to me that we're all just humans first, and men & women second. Yet it almost seems to me young women are MORE girl-ish than we were 20-30 years ago!

It's our own insecurities that make us this way, believing we must be pretty to compete against other women for men's attentions. Wish I could blame, oh, TV, politics, society in general, something...but I believe women (girls, perhaps) have only themselves to blame.

I'd thought, or maybe just hoped, that by 2005 girls would be less like Girls and more like People, but I just don't see it.

Oh, and spiders! In Florida they're as big as mice, honestly. Mr. Kitten is just as squeamish as I am about killing them. We argue about who has to kill them....my only good argument is, he's bigger than I am! Won't even start on how we killed a Coral Snake with 2 shovels....
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 11:13 am
I've seen many successful corporate women and unfortunately many of them, although not all, have become successful by out-menning the men, if you know what I mean. Hillary and Martha are both pretty tough cookies. I think it's still the case that a woman must be tougher than her male counterparts in a head-to-head decision for a promotion.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Blanket statement about women may make a great conversation
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/12/2024 at 02:08:01