Oops! When is a spider not a spider?

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:32 am
Science - AFP

Oops -- Legendary spider "Big Meg" turns out to be sea fossil

Tue Feb 15, 7:10 PM ET

PARIS (AFP) - She was "Big Meg," the largest of all spiders that ever strode the Earth.

The 300-million-year-old fossil was so famous that plaster casts of her body are on display in numerous museums and copies can be purchased over the Internet for hundreds of dollars apiece.

As for the original, it was carefully locked away from public view. It was so precious that it was placed in a bank vault pending the outcome of an ownership squabble.

Alas... a quarter of a century after the historic find, it transpires that Megarachne servinei was never a spider, but a rather odd-looking and certainly less exotic species of sea scorpion.

"Big Meg" unleashed huge excitement after her find in Argentina's San Luis province.

No other creature like it had been found.

The assumption was that it was a giant spider, the mother of tarantulas, with a body length of 33.9 centimetres (13.55 inches), a leg span of 50cm (20 inches) and goggly eyes more than one centimetre (half an inch) wide.

The chance of a second look came with the discovery of another "Megarachne" in the same stratum in the province's Bajo de Veliz rock formation.

Megarachne is a "bizarre eurypterid," or sea scorpion, similar to a species called Woodwardopterus that was first discovered in 1959, according to the new study, published online on Wednesday in Biology Letters, a journal of Britain's Royal Society.

Eurypterid fossils of this kind have been found in Scotland and South Africa.

One of the three authors is Mario Huenicken of the Regional Centre for Scientific Investigation and Technological Transfer in Anillaco, Argentina.

Huenicken was among the team that described "Big Meg" back in 1980 and now seeks to set the scientific record straight.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,042 • Replies: 16
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:45 am
Re: Oops! When is a spider not a spider?
bobsmythhawk wrote:

The assumption was that it was a giant spider, the mother of tarantulas, with a body length of 33.9 centimetres (13.55 inches), a leg span of 50cm (20 inches) and goggly eyes more than one centimetre (half an inch) wide.

these are the measurements of a horrific
spider nightmare .. Shocked
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:50 am
Nightmare? I love those things. Seriously (if possible), since I was little things like spiders and/or bees taking a stroll around my body has never bothered me. It's unusual for me to be bitten and each time it's been because I was caught by surprise and it was a reaction by the insect/arachnid that resulted in the bite.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:53 am
>>shiver<< spiders are straight from hell
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 12:12 pm
Im not afraid of spiders, intimidated by them .. yeah.
And i think that is because they are poisionus to humans.
It is a survival instinct I cant over come.
They do facinate me , I love to learn about them, watch them...
but.. may I say, you have some big b***s Bob! Having them crawl over my body freely would send me into a panic attack.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 12:32 pm
They actually look intimidating but by and large they don't tend to bother people. And the poison is greatly overestimated. A normal size person might feel a little ill after a poisonous bite but it's highly unlikely to be lethal. I've only been bitten once by a spider. Left two little holes in my hand but didn't even cause me to be sick or cure me of associating with them. Bees, wasps etc total as I remember about five bites in my lifetime. No problem.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 12:48 pm
Why oh why did I click on this?

(Shivers and runs from room)
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 12:49 pm
Squinney. Wait. I saved one for you.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:08 pm
EEEEEK!! NOOOO!

(Runs faster waving arms wildly)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:13 pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v360/jessicagorges/IMG_1653.jpg

Bad bob..!! BAD..
how could you save one for her?!!!

( looks up )
Oh my!
how did that piucture get there? hmmm
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:15 pm
Is that yours???
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:16 pm
The dumb **** geologists who didnt do their homework by questioning the strata from which the "spider" came, oughta have any degrees held until they do penance and make a perfect act of contrition.
What a maroon.
A eurypterid has many body features different from a spider. Were these just a bunch of high school kids?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:19 pm
OMG, shewolf you are terrible!

I'm not coming back here!
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:23 pm
Hey Shewolf. That looks like the little brother of the one I'm saving for Squinney. Do you think I should mail it in a box with a pretty ribbon on it to her?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 08:34 pm
ooooh, cool, I want to see that sea scorp!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 08:38 am
this one just finished molting..
hows about we let it get thick and hairy again and we can have it delivered to her Via singing telegram?
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 09:00 am
I agree. Thick and hairy is what she wants.
0 Replies