The first cell on planet Earth...

Raener

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 03:22 pm
First of all i'm nothing but a boy with a creative mind, but I do rationalize my theories so that they don't end up with dotted pigs and metallic pixies.

I was thinking the other day what if the first cell on Earth was developed slightly differently, wouldn't that of changed the course of life and what we would be today. Maybe this would of had a Catastrophic effect. Maybe this first cell could not have been more basic that it was in the first place so there would of been no other choice but to evolve life through the route it has taken. If this cell had some slight difference I think we could of evolved into all kinds of creatures. These creatures would most likely have the posture and the tools that we have, eg) Hands Feet Legs etc.. Also the enviroment, I know it has a big role but what do you think this meer theory.

Its might be total rubbish but thanks for reading it anyway. Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,534 • Replies: 12
No top replies

El-Diablo

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 03:47 pm
[sarcasm]Evolution? That is an evil Raener and you must get it out of you. God created everything you know that. Evolution is junk science and dangerous junk science at that.[/sarcasm]

But it reality yes it would. But the first cell probably was different but flawed and did not survive but another one became about and it was fit and able and it succeeded to the throne of evolution. That's my theory.
0 Replies

Raener

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 04:28 pm
I can see your veiw and I agree with it alot. Its just that the possibilities of different types of cells that could of survived but did not get the chance to prove themselves could be on other planets. Do you think so or is it just a very small chance of the correct 'contents' of the chosen cell that lead us on to what we are?

Also another thing if there are other planets with cells on them i'm guessing there could be an infinite amount of different conditions or cell structures etc.. that could survive in a wide variety of planets/stars. [Judging by the enormous quantity of planets/stars out there]
0 Replies

mrhags

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 06:12 pm
cells.... dont you mean atoms and matter... the earth is not a real thing, it would not have "cells", less im wrong here. I more or less believe we are in a continuing loop, we are born, live, die, memory is completly wiped, born again (it could be another planet, creature, something) mabey we are here just for one moment in time, these thoughts are so huge, its crazy to think about them.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 07:22 pm
No he meant cells. Like the building blocks of living things. Cells are built from proteins which are built from amino acids so the key if forming amino acids from inorganic compounds. You get that and you can soon get a cell under right conditions. Such is the theory. I believe on another planet life may survive under different ideals like being silicon based not carbon based (like some of the WEIRD bottom-of-the-ocean life.
0 Replies

Raener

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 05:47 am
Crazy stuff. Anyways thanks for your thoughts. Nice to know people have thoughts the same as mine, well atleast along the same lines.

I could go on with a few of my ideas. Most of them are to do wit how the brain works but hey..

If you people have any other thoughts like these please make time to post them here. - Thanks alot
0 Replies

mrhags

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 03:26 pm
I might post my theory of religion and god on here..... if i ever feel it necassary.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 09:26 pm
Re: The first cell on planet Earth...
Raener wrote:
I was thinking the other day what if the first cell on Earth was developed slightly differently, wouldn't that of changed the course of life and what we would be today.

Gould used to say that if the tape of evolution were to be replayed that the results would be different every time. So in a general sense, any change in the progenitor cell would almost certainly have lead to differences in the resulting biosphere.

It should be pointed out however, that the idea of a "single cell" being the first cell is probably inaccurate.

Since cells don't just pop out of nowhere, there must have been a lot of replicative material around generating all sorts of "cell like" structures, many of which failed, perhaps even the "first" cell of which you speculate. The life we see today may not have derived from the first cell, or even the first billions of cells, but instead, from a group of cells which didn't become extinct.
0 Replies

BlueAbyss

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 09:52 pm
This is like my theory on how everything effects everything. Hypothetically, I do think that if the "first" cell were to be just slightly different, there would be major differences. Most things would most likely still look physically similar, but there might be other tremendous differences. For instance, the internet might not even exist, cows might be called chickens, and etc. etc. etc. There are just so many possiblities, we are living in just one outcome.
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 11:43 pm
Now it sound like you guys are talking about an alternate universe.

But back to cells, I think it would totally depend on the enviornment. Like rosborne said there might of been many different types of cells and wich ones survived depended on the enviornment. If the earth heated up or cooled down, then maybe the cell that we evolved from, may not of been able to survive. I think it's totally enviornment based.
0 Replies

Raener

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 10:18 am
Id just like to say one of my other theories. Its to do with space and the universe/s.
Since we are talking about origins of life on earth and the alternative routes I began to think about space, the bigger picture in a way.. Heres some thoughts..

I saw this picture on Nasa's site of a black hole and to me it looked like as if the black hole was acctually just a hole in the 'end'/'side' of the universe and that it lead onto another universe through the gap.

I heard once that theres this thing called anti-matter that is the opposite of matter. So it technically does exist but its acctually nothing and we cant see it etc.. It's 100% efficient. Now from anti-matter, it can easily convert into matter eg, our universe. If theres anti-matter can there be an infinite amount since you can find anti-matter inside universes that have been created through the change from anti-matter to matter. Maybe there are universes in our universe. Sometimes I think that the universes that are created outside of our own through anti-matter overlap, giving it the feeling of the infinite size. I said before that the universe each could have more anti-matter inside each one, which create others and this keeps on going on each time a new one is made. So maybe there is a continuous amount of space/universes since they are just being created all the time.

Again, these are theories and i'm only 15 so you may think this is just the idle mind of a teenager, but its what I can believe/comprehend space best through.

Also if anyone else knows more facts/evidence that this may be wrong or inaccurate, I would like to hear from you.

I like to base my theories around ready known facts and then build on them. Right now I don't know much about space. (or time) I don't want to steer of course..

Thanks in advance. Shocked
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 04:52 pm
The only thing I know about anti-matter is that if we can find a way to use the energy emited by it it would solve all of our power needs. just one droplet can power NYC for a day.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 04:58 pm
I wonder if the first cell posted in the "what do you do when you get lonely" thread?
0 Replies