Does this water drawn today look safe (Flint water declared safe)

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2018 11:49 am
@farmerman,
Exactly why I do what I can to keep this story circulating is in the hope strong regulations will be put in place and enforced, for us all.
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2018 01:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
Neither party can claim that they are "concerned with the environment and public health" .Its an insidious thing as each party , when in power, ignores the things like a Flint Michigan, nd then when they are out of power, all of a sudden the roof i falling in and were all gonna die.
Pa has the second most number of stream miles in any state after Alaska,(84000 stream miles) yet a full 1/3 of these are dead from all the coal mining. I used to be an advocate of fracking but, since the Gas companies hve tried to use the same rules in Pa that they do in Texas and Oklqhoma (Pay of the politicians and make sure the legislature sits on the agencies with hearings and such).

Its an old game and works just fine. It needs to stop.
oralloy

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2018 07:43 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
FLINT, MI -- Michigan Department of Health and Human Services Director Nick Lyon is expected to find out July 25 whether he will face a jury trial on involuntary manslaughter and misconduct charges tied to the Flint water crisis.

Genesee District Judge David Goggins has signed an order detailing how the remainder of Lyon's preliminary examination will play out -- 10 months after it started.

Lyon is charged with involuntary manslaughter and misconduct in office and is the highest-ranking state government official charged with crimes for how he handled Flint water problems.

His was the first of 15 criminal cases to advance to a preliminary exam, and apparently will also be the first in which a judge decides whether prosecutors have met their initial burden of proof.

Goggins must decide whether there is probable cause to believe the crimes Lyon has been charged with were committed and that he committed them.

If the judge rules that special prosecutor Todd Flood has cleared that hurdle, Lyon's case will move to Genesee Circuit Court for a jury trial.

Goggins' order -- signed Wednesday, June 13 -- says Flood must provide written notice of any additional charges or changes in the charges against Lyon by July 3, that oral arguments will be heard July 11, and that the final arguments and a ruling on the bindover motion will be July 25.

Flood has argued that Lyon had a duty to protect public health but failed to do so after he allegedly received notice of the first of two outbreaks of Legionnaires' disease in Genesee County.

Prosecutors claim the outbreaks caused multiple deaths, including that of Robert Skidmore, whom Lyon is charged in relation to.

Furthermore, Lyon allegedly participated in covering up the source of the surge of Legionnaires' cases by repeatedly attempting to prevent an independent researcher from looking into the cause of the outbreaks.

Lyon's attorneys have denied the charges and presented witnesses including experts who have questioned whether Skidmore, who lived outside Flint, actually died of Legionnaires'.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2018/06/judge_to_decide_july_25_if_lyo.html
farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 05:18 pm
@oralloy,
was the judge appointed or voted?? I dont trust judges as much as I donttrust other politicians.
But as they say

Q: "What do you call a busload of lawyers sinking to the bottom of a deep lake??"

A: A good start.
More when we get home tomorrow

oralloy

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 06:56 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
was the judge appointed or voted??
Voted.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 07:44 pm
@farmerman,
Were you near Annapolis when the Capital-Gazette employees were shot bt a madman?
farmerman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 11:57 am
@glitterbag,
nope, we were out at sea pretty much by then. We didnt use the wifi on th boat till Saturday. Too much goin on topside and below(although we did watch "Burn After Reading" as a Bluray)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 11:59 am
@oralloy,
the only neat thing about voted -for judiciary is that recall isnt so damned hard (except fpr the USSC).

Do Mich voters have to re-up a judge or is the judge a judge for life??
farmerman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 12:01 pm
@oralloy,
Having some time as witness, I like The Calif system and NC system where the judges are empaneled as a trio. Not just one.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2018 02:51 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Do Mich voters have to re-up a judge or is the judge a judge for life??
Six year terms, then reelection.

Personally I'd rather judges be appointed by the governor and approved by the legislature for those six year terms. Sometimes "the interests of justice" and "what the public demands" are not compatible, and I'd rather have judges focusing on "the interests of justice".
farmerman

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 02:03 pm
@oralloy,
you stated in a recent post that you had some Flint updates. i tink this was the thread about that subject
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 03:39 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Neither party can claim that they are "concerned with the environment and public health" .Its an insidious thing as each party , when in power, ignores the things like a Flint Michigan, nd then when they are out of power, all of a sudden the roof i falling in and were all gonna die.
Pa has the second most number of stream miles in any state after Alaska,(84000 stream miles) yet a full 1/3 of these are dead from all the coal mining. I used to be an advocate of fracking but, since the Gas companies hve tried to use the same rules in Pa that they do in Texas and Oklqhoma (Pay of the politicians and make sure the legislature sits on the agencies with hearings and such).

Its an old game and works just fine. It needs to stop.

I saw an article today that said unlimited fracking water will soon be flooding the Gulf of Mexico.
I have been hating both parties in regard to this stuff.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 04:17 pm
@farmerman,
Judge ruled that the involuntary manslaughter trial can go forward:
https://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2018/08/lyon_3.html

Ruling appealed:
https://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2018/09/lyon_asks_judge_to_stop_jury_t.html

Change of venue request if the appeal fails:
https://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2018/09/top_state_health_official_nick.html

Preliminary hurdle cleared for involuntary manslaughter charges against two other officials:
https://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2018/09/judge_turns_down_involuntary_m.html
farmerman

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 05:13 pm
@oralloy,
Lately many punitive damge awards hve been trimmed by higher courts so if these guy are found responsible and financially ccountble,I hope the compensatory damages are high enough to send a message to the municipality for forgetting the hypocratic statement meant for physicians which sorta says--"above all else, do no harm" . This is implied in many infrastructural services taken on by municipal uthorities.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2019 11:37 pm
"Where things stand in the Flint water crisis investigation"
http://apnews.com/65ba9f357379418382c39567660ef739
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 04:33 pm
PBS Frontline is going to do a documentary tonight (September 10, 2019) about the Flint water crisis, and about the outbreak of Legionnaires' disease that corresponded with the water crises.
farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 09:36 pm
@oralloy,
Tivo'd it. Will watch it later ,tx
farmerman

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 06:06 pm
@farmerman,
Wtdhed it nd am amaze at how the state health Dept got away with it. We had a conf shortly after the whole thing came out about the Legionnaire's disease. The Health Dept Lie through its teth about having data re Legionella bact .
My whole issue was that , since the water plant hadnt been used for two ecades, It wasnt even dsigned to handle th Lead and Copper issues and Runzh. indices to determine aggressiveness of the water and hence, Pitting that allows Legionella to "set up housekeping"
As bad as Ive seen it happen in small Pa towns where small water authorities or water companies have been st up, Weve required investigative nd long term sampling for monitoring of all kinds of ****. Thats why Pa standards have been adopted by most states in food and water.

Those poor people,... and Im also kinda angry at the "Quiet whistle blower" A Mr McFrland (?) who only warned his sister and told her to spread the word. He was on a path to lose his job anyway so h should have gone down swinging instead of keeping it quiet an just covering his ass with memos to his boss. Although, in hi defense he did publicly state that the water plant was ill equipped to hndle that kind of water and the Town was probably telling him that "Its only temporary till the Huron pipeline is in an the new treatment plant is built"

When the water started turning that ice tea color, Ill bet that NOONE who was advising the town that the "Water was safe" would drink that crap NOONE.

Where the hell was the EPA?? this wasnt in the Trump years when this started. The EPA region was still staffed with scientists an not Political hacks like weve got now.
Rather complete investigative reporting.

farmerman

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 07:13 pm
@farmerman,
just finished watching (took a break after an hour). It wound up rather depressing that the new atty gen had it decided to drop the charges becaue they felt the case wasnt winnable. Since it was w/o prejudice, the case can be reopened .

The law is an ass.

glitterbag

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 07:24 pm
@farmerman,
Barr?