Flint Water still unsafe

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 11:09 pm
http://www.npr.org/2016/12/23/506759038/despite-tough-year-flint-mother-stays-strong-for-her-children
It's been just over a year since the city declared a state of emergency over lead-contaminated water, and McDonald is still using bottled water for everything.

Most of the old pipes still have not been replaced, and the state has spent more than $200 million on bottled water and water filters. Congress approved $170 million in aid earlier this month, but city officials say they will likely need tens of millions of dollars to replace all of the lead pipes.

With Federal Aid Set To End, Flint Mother Criticizes Water Efforts
AROUND THE NATION
With Federal Aid Set To End, Flint Mother Criticizes Water Efforts
Even though a court order required the state and city government to pay for water delivery, McDonald tells NPR's Ari Shapiro she still has to pick up cases of water herself. She says her son keeps asking her when this will be over.

"I tell him I don't know," McDonald says. "I tell him — at least on two different occasions — when you see a bulldozer out front digging up our front yard and replacing pipes, you'll know that the water is almost safe again, but until you see that. ... I remember when this first started he thought it was fun. It's no longer fun."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 484 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Builder

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2016 12:03 am
Were the pipes always lead?

Our family home is now forty-eight years old, and the only lead pipe in that place is the bend on the sewer pipe off the toilet. All the water pipes are galvanised iron, except for those I've replaced over the years.

I know there's an element of lead in galvanising.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2016 07:31 am
@Builder,
The pipes were okay, until the contaminated water was fed into them.
oralloy

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2016 12:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Why aren't the pipes OK again now that treated water has been passing through them for a period of time? Surely by now there is a layer of protection sealing off the lead again.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2016 05:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
I just did a quick search, and came up with this rather alarming information.

A new analysis from Reuters has found that lead poisoning is a national epidemic, mostly affecting low-income communities that receive little funding to rectify the problem.

Credit – flintwaterstudy.org

Last year, the community of Flint, Michigan was thrust into the national spotlight for all the wrong reasons. Children were being diagnosed with lead poisoning at previously unheard of levels and the town’s water supply was later found to be the culprit. City officials, not long before, had switched the city’s water supply from the Detroit water system to a polluted and corrosive nearby river in order to save money. Though several of the city officials responsible have now been criminally charged for their role in the disaster, nearly two years have passed while residents of Flint remain without clean drinking water.

Though Flint is the most recent example of lead poisoning in the United States, a new analysis by Reuters has found that it is just the tip of the iceberg. The study found that nearly 3,000 communities throughout the country recorded incredibly high rates of lead poisoning, over a third of which were quadruple that of Flint at the height of the water crisis. Pockets of major urban centers like Baltimore and Philadelphia were the locales found to suffer the most from lead poisoning. In many of these communities lead poisoning has been a problem for generations. There, the rate of elevated lead tests has hovered between 40 to 50% for at least the past ten years. Other communities are more rural, like Warren, Pennsylvania. 36% of children living in Warren, a town of under 10,000 along the endangered Allegheny river, had elevated levels of lead in their blood.

Read More: http://www.trueactivist.com/nearly-3000-us-communities-have-higher-rate-of-lead-poisoning-than-flint-mi/
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2016 05:46 pm
@Builder,
Yes, I saw such studies a while back. And they wonder why the electorate is upset with government.
Builder

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2016 05:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
I wasn't actually aware of what initially happened in Michigan.

Privatisation is upon us here in Australia, despite evidence that it's a very short-term solution to a problem.
0 Replies