Habitable planets of a brown dwarf

neil

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:46 am
A brown dwarf with 1/16 th the mass of our sun likely would shine brightly for a few million years (not long enough for much evolution, but genetic engineering is practical) as the plasma compressed to higher density.
It would still be white hot inside when the surface cooled to dull red heat. At this stage it could have the same average density as our sun. It would then have 1/4 the surface area and 1/16 the volume of our sun? Only planets closer than Mercury would get significant heat at this point. Very advanced civilizations could colonize these planets. In a few million more years the brown dwarf would have 1.01 times the average density of our sun, a cloud top temperature of about 20 degrees c = 68 degrees f, making hot air balloon outposts practical, except the cloud top gravity is likely far more than humans can tolerate. Planets 10,000 miles (or more) above the surface, would receive too little energy to be useful with present human technology, but the colonists might find a way. At 10,000 miles the planet would likely be inside the roche limit, so the colonists would have to band their planet to keep the powerful tide forces from tearing it apart. Please comment, refute and/or embellish. Neil
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 701 • Replies: 4
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 09:48 pm
I thnk it would be a nice vacation spot for aliens but harldy enough time for intelliugent life to evolve. Assuming the spas are clean I would like to visit there myself.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 09:13 am
I might add, any planet that is circling that close to a star - whether it be a brown dwarf or otherwise - would have a problem with sever radiation. So sever that life as we know it on that planet probably could not exist.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 10:15 am
If they could make materials strong enough to withstand the tidal forces, they should just go ahead and build a Niven ring.
0 Replies

neil

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 11:04 pm
Hi NickFun: Jupiter and Saturn have dangerous radiation close to the surface. I don't know about Neptune and Uranus. I suspect the strong magnetic field traps ionized particals that come from the sun. Do Brown dwarfs have to have a strong magnetic field, and are high levels of ionizing radiation normal in the upper atmosphere of a brown dwarf which has cooled to red heat? Neil
0 Replies