Guitar virtuosos

Amoh5

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2018 12:08 am
Up until I was eighteen, I wasn't really interested in the virtuosity of lead guitarists, only of vocalists, until I observed the guitar skills of Jimmy Page of Led Zepplin in their music movie "The song remains the same" then I began buying electric guitars trying to master lead guitar.
Before all this, I was aware of great guitarists of our modern era from jazz, rock n roll and rock and so forth such as Chuck Berry, Hank Marvin, George Benson, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Carlos Santana etc etc, but I preferred listening mostly to vocal based music. Now as a lead guitar enthusiast, I still think that the human voice is the most dynamic component in music when it is given the right melody, lyrics and instrumentation. One of my most favourite vocal songs is "Horse with no name" by the band America, I can listen to that song again and again, and never get sick of it, such an amazing piece of music in my opinion, awesome melody, awesome guitar work and instrumentations, awesome vocal skills from awesome personalities like Dewey Bunnell, Dan Peek and Gerry Beckley. Cool as lyrics as well, its not about romance between male n female, or sex, or drugs or getting drunk, its like a captain's log type of song, a lonely observance of our crazy world I would think. I was only about 5yrs old when that song came out in 1972, I'd come home back from school in those days and hear it playing on the radio(N.Z. local radio that is).
But getting back to lead guitar, I had the opportunity watching Jimmy Page demonstrating his guitar skills on the movie "The song remains the same" which really impressed me, especially his blues, contemporary and Celtic/English folk guitar techniques, even a violin stick to his electric guitar, such a talented guy, so I became addicted in trying to master lead guitar through Page, then also Jimi Hendrix, Hank Marvin, George Benson, Mark Knophler, Carlos Santana, Gary Moore and many others, also Eddie Van Halen through to Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. They all have their own unique qualities and feels which I relate to our moods and enviromental settings. Plus, most of these guitarists I've mentioned have composed guitar based instrumentals especially Joe Satriani, most of his music compositions are guitar instrumentals.
I particularly like Eddie Van Halen and Joe Satriani because some of their guitaring sounds very sci-fi and futuristic especially when they use all those digital effects and guitar techniques. I love futuristic concepts.
Joe Satriani was a guitar music teacher before he took to the stage. One of his methods of teaching guitar is learning every note on the fretboard of the guitar, not a teacher for daytrippers n dreamers I would think. I've seen Joe Satriani demonstrate his knowledge of lead guitar and all these advanced weird chords that sound really awesome, such a talented guy. There is a style of rock lead guitar called shredding which is basically picking really fast, which I've also seen in rock n roll, jazz, country and other styles, but like in all styles of guitar music, its not about how fast you can play, but how well you can compose music to make these guitar techniques fit in, to create a masterpiece. Theres a lot of people who can pick really fast on a guitar, usually called guitar scale exercises, but they don't know how to compose music/songs using this fast guitar technique.
I can appreciate all styles of music from opera to contemporary music, but for me it depends on the melody, instrumentation/vocals and/or lyrics...

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2018 05:27 am
@Amoh5,
I like lots of the rock stylists, specially Knopfler, van Halen, Vetter,Joe Walsh, Tom Petty and Mike Campbell. AND, I also like the virtuistic styles of country guitarits like Chet Atkins, Brad Paisley, or dobro guy Jerry Douglas.

I have to admit though, that Im a real lover of jazz guitar. Some of my Favorites have included the REINHARDTS,(Babik and his dad Django), Gabor Szabo, Al Caiola,(he palyed jazz in a Duane Eddy style)Monette Sudley,Bola Sete,Charlie Byrd, and Rez Abasi. Theres lots more in my collections but they get into more synthetic stuff and fusion. Santana always went back and forth with me.

Great instrument be it steel, pedal steel, dobro, acoustic or shredder style. Its all good.
jespah

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2018 06:36 am
@Amoh5,
Don't forget the ladies! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Female_guitarists

Although this list isn't complete. Charo, for example, is a flamenco guitarist. That page also doesn't list Chrissy Hynde or Nancy Wilson, so I'm rather skeptical of it. But it's a start. All that Shreds also recognizes Lita Ford: https://allthatshreds.com/shreds-list-top-ten-female-shredders/
farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2018 07:28 am
@jespah,
Monette Sudler remains a woman, shes developed a style reminiscent of East African Guitar riffs. She aso plays mbira
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2018 10:58 am
Joe Pass!
Amoh5

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2018 04:31 pm
@farmerman,
Yup I too love great lead guitarist Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits who sounds like country rockabilly Chet Atkins, who was actually one of Knopfler's main influences.
Van Halen created a new digital type rock sound along with Eddie Van Halen's amazing lead guitar work, especially his signature fretboard-tapping influence and scraping his guitar pick/finger down the top string of his guitar(originally done by Jimi Hendrix from my own knowledge)
Joe Walsh of the Eagles, his signature lead guitaring song has got to be "Life in the fast lane"??? amazing lead guitar work I must say.
When it comes to jazz guitar I really only know the geat George Benson, he's done a lot of guitar instrumentals. But through Benson I've come to know some of his influences such as Wes Montgomery, Charlie Christian and Joe Pass. I notice that the old school rock guitarists usually turned to a lot of jazz guitar techniques when they wanted to get flashy and complexed in their lead guitar playing, whereas the new school rock guitarists turn to a lot of classical guitar techniques when they want to get flashy and complexed.
But you're right about Carlos Santana he is a bit back n forth with his guitaring, he has an amazing repetoire though, but when hes good hes amazing, but when hes bad especially in some of his live performances hes bad. But I suppose even guitarists have their good days and their bad days.
I also love watching contemporary, folk, Celtic and classical guitar as well, but I also love watching guitarists shredding at high speeds on their guitars too, like Joe Satriani who uses a lot of the legato technique of hammer-ons and pull-offs, and Michael Angelo Batio who uses another shred technique thats sort of the opposite to legato where he picks every note at high speeds without any hammer-ons or pull-offs, but Satriani and Batio are also great composers, they're really excellent at utilizing guitar techiques to create great music compositions and songs. But I am aware that there are many other guitarists from all styles of music that can shred on their guitars especially jazz as well, what about Bill Haley with "rock around the clock", his lead guitarist Franny Beecher does a bit of shredding in the lead break of that song.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2018 04:52 pm
http://acousticguitar.com/acoustic-guitar-sessions-presents-bruce-cockburn/

__

and seriously

Link Wray

if you can see Rumble somewhere do it

amazing

and don't forget the absolute genius of Jesse Ed Davis
Amoh5

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2018 04:57 pm
@jespah,
I'm a 1967 baby, so yup I know of Chrissie Hyndes of the Pretenders, but she was more popular as a vocalist in the 80s, Suzi Quatro a female bass player of the 70s. I only know Lita Ford from her singing duet with Ozzy Osbourne, I haven't actually had a chance to observe her guitar work, I'm not sure if her low popularity(in my own music radar opinion that is) as a rock guitarist was due to her being a female, or that she hadn't hired the right mainstream promoters ? I'll have a look on youtube for some of her guitar work
0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2018 05:44 pm
@hightor,
Yup Joe Pass, he's a master class guitar player, kind of reminds me of Les Paul in some ways, maybe its because of the music feel of their generation which is kind of different to mine where we're used to a lot of fusion of contemporary music of a lot of styles, their sound seems raw and old fashioned but highly virtuosic, amazing guitarists
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2018 11:16 pm
Speaking of female guitarists - I really like Tash Sultana's use of electronics to create single person sound collages

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2018 11:29 pm
I have an affection for guitarists who, even if you've never heard the song before, you know it's them (particularly if they are guesting on someone else's recording).

Knopfler is up there. David Gilmour, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Mick Ronson, Jim Moginie, Robert Fripp, Adrian Bellew. I'm less amored of the technocratic 'I can do it faster' ilk (yeah, I'm looking at you Yngwie Malmsteen).

Mostly though it's guitar work on a particular track that amazes, not the entire canon.
Amoh5

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2018 06:48 am
@hingehead,
Tash is a talented young woman shes got the potential to be a great musician, awesome guitaring and vocals, and arranging notes as well.
Knopfler has done some great guitar arrangements and vocals throughout his career with Dire Straits, especially their self-titled 1978 debut album through to the Brothers in arms, he's definitely got a style reminesence to Chet Atkins, but with a fusion of other styles and a contemporary sound, a really smooth laid back guitarist I must say, not to mention his awesome vocals, and a great composer.
And Gilmour's great guitar work on Dark side of the moon, the wall and wish you were here.
Bluesman Stevie Ray Vaughan did some great guitar work too on Texas flood and Couldn't stand the weather with his version of Voodoo child.
I'm not familiar with the other guitarists you mentioned except Yngwie Malsteen, I think he's a great guitarist I just wished he had more focus on writing music rather than focusing on being a guitar speed freak, I wish he was more like Joe Satriani, where he focused on utilizing his amazing guitar skills for great music compositons, such a waste I must say
0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 03:42 am
@ehBeth,
I just finished listening to your videos, sorry I replied to Hightor before your post because I don't have good streaming on my old Nokia E63 cellphone, I've got to download the youtube videos first(i prefer the 3gp format it's smaller in bytes and much faster in downloading time) from another youtube website called Wapmon.com then I'm able to view them.
I've never heard of Bruce Cockburn but he seems like a very talented acoustic guitar player, I love acoustic music, especially celtic/contemporary acoustic/mandolin guitar from guys like Jimmy Page, Ian Anderson, Joe Satriani, Phil Keaggy, Steve Vai the list goes on and on...
Wow! I wasn't aware of Link Ray from 1958 (I'm only 50yrs old) also being native American who was one of the first to experiment with overdrive(distortion) and powerchords. His song rumble is definitely a blueprint, its kind of a simple tune, but I understand how it would have affected people of that era, pretty innovative and radical for its time I would say, I knew Jimi Hendrix was native American, I guess the natives of America need to be acknowledged for their contribution to modern music, its good that they are doing that now with that movie Indians that rocked the world
hingehead

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 05:03 pm
@Amoh5,
Hey if you like acoustic guitar - what do you think of this track by Nils Lofgren?

I had/have zero awareness of what else he's done - but I love this.
farmerman

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 05:47 pm
@hingehead,
ya gotta hear his solos with the E street band. Ill look up some dual riffs tween him and Clarence on sax.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 08:44 pm
The Romeros (brothers) doing the "Malaguena" . . .

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 08:50 pm
Pepe Romero, "Asturias" (Leyenda) . . .

0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 09:13 pm
@hingehead,
wow! that was a really soulful version of Neil Young's huricanne song, i've never heard him sing solo before, because Springstein was the main vocalist with the E street band, his guitar solo was excellent, but he didn't do much guitar slinging or curiosities in my opinion, maybe i've been listening to too much Steve Vai or something, he's a very laid back guitarist I would say, more of a vocalist's guitarist. But I'll also keep an eye out on any other work he has done throughout his career, a really talented guy. I've just found some material of his with some guitar slinging and curiosities, wow!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=coNqbqnH3AM&itct=CBAQpDAYCCITCOOS0NfVpNoCFYscfwodqLAOaFIYbmlscyBsb2ZncmVuIGd1aXRhciBzb2xv&hl=en-GB&client=mv-google&gl=NZ
0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 10:45 am
@Setanta,
I'm not familiar with classical spanish guitar players, the ones in the videos have a unique sound thats kind of vintage or traditional rather than the contemporary fused spanish guitar music I hear in the main stream sector, like the gypsy kings, Carlos Santana or Peter White who played the spanish guitar for Al Stewart's song "On the border", or even Mark Knopfler's spanish-like guitaring in the song "Private Investigations" Contemporary music does tend to mix a lot of styles of music breaking away from the more pure classical sounds
farmerman

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 10:49 am
@Amoh5,
Nobody except me mentioned Brad Paisley. Something against country licks??.

The Wilbury's all were great guitarists but they subdued virtuistic plying for excellent harmony.