Islam and Legal Issues

almach1

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 03:50 am
with bush in power is seems like the seperation between church and state is getting weaker. I have a question for people of Islamic faith.

Is it possible to seperate islam religion from government. Most predominatly Islamic countries incorporate some of the religion into their laws. I know other religions also mix religion and law. I just want to know if it's been successfully been seperated in Islamic countries.

I know alot of Islamic people that are immigrants to this country and they talk about some laws that should be changed in this country. Their basis for these changes are always religious.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 792 • Replies: 10
No top replies

raheel

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 06:59 am
islamic government and law are all fuelled by religion.

islamic law is the shariah law-

that is the religious laws stated in the Quran

such as punishments for crimes, division of inheritance among relations etc...

obviously all muslimsd have a spiritual religious life as well
0 Replies

almach1

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 01:25 pm
I know about the sharia law. But still, Islam is too much of a way of life for some of my friends. They always talk about "back in my country we do it this way." I'm just asking if it's possible to be Islamic without being into sharia law. In iraq we're setting up a democratic goernment that is all islamic. I just think that islamic law only works for you if you are of that religion.

I had an afghan friend from high school i used to kick it with. After a couple years of college a conversation about the middle east caused trouble. Basically he said that he hates all jews. We were like why? What's happening in isreal and palestine is isolated to that part of the world, but he hates any jew with a passion. We're not freinds specifically for that reason. I'm not even Jewish. i know this last part is off the main topic , but I had to say it.
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 08:58 am
yeah the shariah laws are based on a strict islam =ic society and they do not appeal to those who are not muslim.

although they are just and not unfair.

hatred of jews is a big issue in islam. the hatred comes from hating the jewish faith more than the actual followers.
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 11:35 am
So why bomb people? Why not bomb religious sites? Baseless, blind hatred.
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 12:09 pm
why bomb anything?!
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 06:34 am
Technically, under Saddam, Iraq was actually a secular country with Christians and Jews living there (albeit under his tyranny).
0 Replies

Noil

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 10:26 am
Quote:
Baseless, blind hatred.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 02:04 pm
raheel wrote:
yeah the shariah laws are based on a strict islam =ic society and they do not appeal to those who are not muslim.

although they are just and not unfair.

For the days it was written Sharia may be considered "just and not unfair", however today I would call it antiquated and barbaric. States such as Afghanistan, Iran, and Nigeria have given us a window with which to view Sharia in practice. Lopping of of limbs, stoning to death, charging of interest for borrowing, are just a few of it's terms that have no place in the 21st century.

raheel wrote:
hatred of jews is a big issue in islam. the hatred comes from hating the jewish faith more than the actual followers.

Is there any particular facet of the jewish faith that you feel is worthy of enough hate to justify murder?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 02:15 pm
Noil wrote:
Quote:
Baseless, blind hatred.

I wouldn't call it that. Muslims have a perfectly good reason for hating Jews. Let me explain:

By that rather crude analogy then all muslims should bear the hatred felt toward Al Qaeda due to their "one-ness".

Hating an entire group for the actions of a few is just one of many characteristics better left in antiquity.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 05:26 pm
Are there not a number of Islamic countries where Sharia law is NOT the law, as such?
0 Replies