Crichton's new novel casts envirowhacks as villains

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 01:27 pm
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/suzannefields/sf20050203.shtml

The green 'state of fear'
Suzanne Fields (archive)

February 3, 2005

Quote:

Michael Crichton is a high-tech, science-savvy Renaissance man in the 21st century. He has sold more than a hundred million books, which have been translated into 30 languages. Twelve became high-grossing movies. Children everywhere have "Jurassic Park" nightmares.

His books are so popular in China that when the calcified remains of a species of dinosaur was discovered there, the Chinese named it Bienosauraus crichtoni in his honor. In 1992, People magazine named him one of the "Fifty Most Beautiful People."

Now a new kind of fame brings Michael Crichton to Washington to speak to policy wonks. He's promoting his new book, "State of Fear," which zoomed to the top of the bestseller lists, but he doesn't come to Washington to talk about the novel.

Not long ago his speech, "Science Policy in the 21st Century," was sponsored by two think tanks, the American Enterprise Institute and Brookings Joint Center for Regulatory Studies, and it's about what he thinks about environmentalists in general, and climate change in particular. He has a lot of thoughts about the way science influences public policy.

He minces no words. What passes for science by so-called experts in the debate over "global warming," he says, influences policy that is based on faulty data and ideological considerations. This does considerably more damage than good.

Ideology drives the scientists who get the grants to conduct research; the government agency that gives grants is driven by politics. In the novel, a page-turning action thriller, major characters, including a scientist, a lawyer, a philanthropist and two gorgeous women, are superheroes who foil the devices of environmental extremists, evil missionaries with messianic drives, pushing policies born of their own egos.

In a novel twist on the novel, the author appends footnotes and a bibliography to document scientific reports, and two hard-hitting essays explaining how and why politicized science is dangerous.

He compares the science of the environmentalists as similar to that of the study of eugenics a century ago. The study of eugenics, the idea that the human race could be "improved" by selective breeding, was at first supported by presidents, Nobel laureates, major universities, the Carnegie and Rockefeller Foundations, and together they molded public opinion. The science was insidious, pseudo-, and wrong.

Eugenics, recognized nearly everywhere now as both morally and criminally wrong, led directly to the Holocaust, with the Nazis killing first the feeble-minded, and ultimately extended to include Jews, Gypsies and homosexuals. Those who opposed eugenics were reactionary, ignorant or both. Research motivated by racism, fear of immigrants and "keeping the wrong people out of the neighborhood," drew few protests.

Michael Crichton argues that many environmental studies today are similarly flawed, directed by scientists who shape their research to fit the cause, and read by an ill-informed public duped to believe that scientific papers are "objective."

He cites an editorial in The Washington Post, which suggests adopting a policy change in climate control as "a sign of goodwill" to Europe. He notes, with irony and dismay, that the editorial appeared on the day that a dispatch from Auschwitz detailed the observance of the 60th anniversary of the liberation of the infamous death camp. Auschwitz, he says, was a direct descendent of politicized science.

Environmental grants, he argues, should go to several scientists working on a project with opposing points of view. Their work should be subjected to mutual criticism. "We need face-to-face dissent." The results should be made public: "The people paid for it, the people own it."

Only ruthless arguments can get to verifiable facts. Congressional hearings on scientific matters, he observes, are mostly dog-and-pony shows where questions are either "soft balls or hand grenades." Congressmen are eager to show off what their staffs have found for them, and ideologues want to persuade. This is a dangerous way to make policy.

He cites the story of the pesticide DDT, effective against many disease-carrying insects, as an example of environmentalism gone awry. DDT, he argues, was falsely accused of causing cancer, and because it was banned millions, mostly children, have died of disease and their deaths "are directly attributable to a callous, technologically advanced western society that promoted the new cause of environmentalism by pushing a fantasy about a pesticide, and irrevocably harmed the third world."

Environmentalism, he says, is "the religion of choice for urban atheists." Such heresy won't be as popular as his novels and movies, but in the long run, may have the impact of DDT on a mosquito.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,109 • Replies: 17
No top replies

El-Diablo

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 03:09 pm
He's got a point. I always like Crichton even though some of his books sucked (I thought Prey was good though).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 03:42 pm
Here is an existing thread on this book - which was asking about the accuracy of Crichton's science.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42239&highlight=
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 03:51 pm
The guy's a novelist, for $#!* sake.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 03:54 pm
"envirowhacks" neat word Gunga did you come up with that? I think it's even better than "demmunists" but what the hey, I'm an amateur at this.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 03:59 pm
But - he does claim, especially in this book, to be acurate scientifically - lol - he gives references in the book to lots of scientific papers!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 04:37 pm
I mean, there ARE legitimate concerns about the environment. Nonetheless, "environmentalism" as it has actually been practiced in America more often than not has amounted to a sort of a sadomasochistic leftist grand scheme for punishing ordinary people for wanting to live decent lives.

There are whole categories of atrocities which I read about. DDT is one, releasing wolves into the south 48 is another, and then you see things like Virginia's commie rat demokkrat governor blowing up the dam on the Rapahannock at Fredericksburg for the benefit of some stupid fish.

I mean those people used to have this beautiful river to swim in and go boating in and as a source of water should they ever need it and now all they have is this miserable little creek and there's going to come a day of drought when it'd be awfully nice to have that river sitting there, and the leftists are going to shout "F___ you evil middle-class people, you DESERVE to die of thirst for trying to kill out that little shad fish with your damned dam!!!"
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 04:40 pm
Quote:
he does claim, especially in this book, to be acurate scientifically

I've read every single one of his books and never has he said this. He cites sources so he has an idea how a science does work. Then he molds it to fit a storyline.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:05 pm
I love environmentalists. They are great for target practice.
0 Replies

Brady

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 10:48 pm
I loved Jurassic Park and Sphere.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 12:25 am
He also wrote 'Congo' - that's a crime in itself.

'Sphere' (the movie, didn't read the book) made NO sense whatsoever. Blob of energy comes back in time and kills Queen Latifah?! Even Star Trek films sort of made sense and they were just as silly.

Apparently in this new work the 'enviro-terrorist-black hats' use BLUE-RINGED OCTOPI as a deadly 'weapon'? Say what? Only someone who has never seen a blue-ringed octopus would think that up (for the record I have and in the wild). Anyways if he's not bashing Woody Harrelson and Susan Sarandon it's not genuine conserviction (conservative + fiction, and I'm claiming it as my own).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 02:28 am
Lol! It was most certainly a TERRIBLE novel!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 11:10 am
Sphere was terrible. Looked like something Piers Anthony might have come up with after a brief period of writing good fiction.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 11:26 am
dyslexia wrote:
"envirowhacks" neat word Gunga did you come up with that? I think it's even better than "demmunists" but what the hey, I'm an amateur at this.
I miss Pistoff for that very reason. I still laugh out loud whenever I think "Gropenator". Laughing

I've read most of Crichton's novels and I don't think he ever quite matched the Andromeda Strain. His books, like most books don't translate well when compressed down to movie length and do to the nature of most of his stories; special effects tend to override the story. One should also remember that novel authors seldom have any say in how a screenplay will be made so one should never judge a book by the movie.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 01:36 pm
I find Crichton's work to be mediocre thrillers; it just can't compare to the quality in the SF genre.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 12:04 am
Methinks that Michael is always 'writing' with the film idea firmly in his head - same thing happened to Ian Fleming, that's probably why the last Bond books weren't that strong.

Crichton still has a rival in Clive Cussler for 'most stupid ideas involving technology'. Cranking them out by the dozen, he's even got a character in them called 'Clive Cussler'. Time to turn your wordprocesser in boy!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 01:10 am
In THIS book, though, Crichton IS making much stronger claims than usual to scientific accuracy.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 02:47 am
dlowan wrote:
In THIS book, though, Crichton IS making much stronger claims than usual to scientific accuracy.

One before (?) had time travel - very scientific. Bollocks.

We (the library business) refer to this as 'speculative fiction' now - sci-fi's so..... last century.

Have some pity before you reply - I have spent TWO days processing a mountain of donated paperback romances! Bosoms are heaving, kisses burning, chiseled chins and rippled torsos catching the attention of virgins, hormones raging, manhoods stiffening and god knows what else is going on under various types of female clothing!! A total f*ck-fest.

I have so enjoyed children's picture books and 'Complete Idiot's Guides' to date. The humanity!!!..........
0 Replies