Auschwitz brothel

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 02:45 pm
In last night's programme on Auschwitz(2/2/05), I believe the narrator said little was known about the brothel that the Nazis introduced to Auschwitz. Some years ago, I read a full and harrowing account of the brothel in a book by Olga Lengyel - a survivor of the death camp. It brings yet another poignant dimension to the Holocaust.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,527 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 03:11 pm

http://www.pbs.org/auschwitz/40-45/corruption/1943b.html

A bit more on this brothel, which I, for one, had not heard of before.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 03:15 pm
Re: Auschwitz brothel
pierrebreban wrote:
... the narrator said little was known about the brothel that the Nazis introduced to Auschwitz.

In most - if not all - concentration camps you had a so-called 'Sonderbau' (special building, in a couple of KZ's they were officially not named) since 1943, introduce by a special decree of Himmler.

This is from a newsgroup, published in online 1994 (sic!)
Quote:
During the summer of 1943, Himmler ordered the setting up of brothels in
concentration camps called Sonderbau (special building). His aim
was to solve the sexual problem, combat homosexual practices, and
increase the worker's output ... In mid-December there were thirteen of
these women in Dachau."
from
Dachau: 1933-45, The Official History, by Paul Berben, page 7

Source

There's quite a lot litterature about nowadays and some tv-documentaries were produced the last couple of years (in German, at least).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 03:25 pm
dlowan wrote:
The brothel was in operation until January 1945, and though little is known about the women forced to work here, it is believed they were chosen from non-Jewish inmates. The whole subject is one that most prefer not to talk about, but the suffering endured by these women is perhaps one of the least acknowledged aspects of the history of Auschwitz.[/b]

I remember having seen one of those documenaries in 2003 (this was about the brothel in the KZ Buchenwald,).
It included two inerviews, one by Margarete W., a Jewish prisoner, who worked there as prostitute, and the other by the Jewish prisoner Albert van Dijk.

They told different to the above - and actually, all what I read said the same:
in Buchenwald all the prostitutes came from the KZ Ravensbrück.
(Auschwitz had a separate KZ for females, where the Nazis recruted the prostitutes.)

The women were 'abited' with the promise, to be freed soon, the men got visits as award for good work, goiod behaviour or just as improvement for getting a better productivity.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 07:19 pm
The Japanese took to it in a really big way - 'recruiting' Chinese and Korean women for what was essentially a slow-mo pack rape. It makes you just want to vomit.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 07:32 pm
They were called 'comfort women' and to this day Japanese government refuses to as much as apologize. Instead it funds a non-governmental organization to sort these things out, especially with Korea, which naturally offends the surviving victims. It seems there is no solution- neither side will budge. it is one of the 'fun' projects I am dealing with in this new job of mine, though I am not directly involved in this one.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 07:35 pm
The comfort women, which is a translation of the Japanese euphemism, jugun ianfu, (military comfort women), categorically refers to women of various ethnic and national backgrounds and social circumstances who became sexual laborers for the Japanese troops before and during the Second World War. Countless women had to labor as comfort women in the military brothels found throughout the vast Asia Pacific region occupied by the Japanese forces. There is no way to determine precisely how many women were forced to serve as comfort women. The estimate ranges between 80,000 and 200,000, about 80 % of whom, it is believed, were Korean. Japanese women and women of other occupied territories (such as Taiwan, the Philippines, Indonesia, Burma and the Pacific islands) were also used as comfort women.

For some reason there has been no punishment or restitution offered...
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 07:38 pm
And children, don't forget the 'comfort' children.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 07:43 pm
Just listening in, for now.
0 Replies