Without hesitation, she took.....

paok1970

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 09:57 pm
@centrox,
If you remove something from your pockets, do you "get it out" or do you "take it out"?

I'm asking this question because, in Italian, we have just one verb phrase (i.e., "tirare fuori") to express the above concept. If you are in doubt, please ask your wife whose Italian is certainly better than my English.

Thank you.
camlok

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:01 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
Obviously written by a man!

Women don't "take out" their breasts.

She can take off her top.... or her bra .. or her dress and reveal her breasts.

This is solely an issue of what is possible in the English language, punkey. It has nothing to do with morality, sexism, or anything else.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:05 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
pretty much the only time women say that they're talking about breast-feeding

Which means that the OP's examples are possible English sentences. There is no need to be prudish about this, it is simply a question about possible English.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:15 pm
I stand corrected (somewhat).

In the US, tits can hang out.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:16 am
@paok1970,
paok1970 wrote:
If you remove something from your pockets, do you "get it out" or do you "take it out"?

Is the answer to that question not already clear? You can use get, take, remove, extract, retrieve, drag, pull, yank, and probably quite a few more verbs. Your repeated asking of questions of this type (of two equivalent expressions, which one is right?) is curious.
camlok

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:11 am
@centrox,
paok1970 wrote:

Quote:
Is the answer to that question not already clear? You can use get, take, remove, extract, retrieve, drag, pull, yank, and probably quite a few more verbs. Your repeated asking of questions of this type (of two equivalent expressions, which one is right?) is curious.

Obviously it isn't yet clear, centrox. Just because it is beyond you doesn't mean that it doesn't deserve a reply.

Italian has one verb for this while English has two.

I'd say that 'get sth out' is used when the action is more deliberate, planned, ...

When father got out his belt we knew we were in trouble.

This feeling is also expressed, has similarities in the following, though admittedly with a slightly different meaning/nuance.

M-W:
Definition of get out
intransitive verb
1 : leave, escape doubted that he would get out alive
2 : to become known : leak out their secret got out

transitive verb
1 : to cause to leave or escape
2 : to bring before the public; especially : publish

No, paok, 'take out' doesn't work in these M-W examples.

paok1970

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:25 am
@camlok,
What about "When father pulled out his belt we knew we were in trouble" as an alternative to "When father got out his belt we knew we were in trouble"? Does it retain the same meaning?

Again, thank you very much for the help.

camlok

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:42 am
@paok1970,
Yes, the same meaning.
0 Replies