Mold identification

mk302

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2018 03:50 pm
I've included an imgur link to photos I've taken. The mold comes from the lack of ventilation at the skylight. Condensation drops off the window, onto the plasterboard / plaster*.
*In fact, I'm relatively new to the UK --- new enough that I don't 100% know if this is the same as what I know as drywall? However, I'm pretty sure it's more robust than drywall. I think it's a more resilient layer like plaster.

https://imgur.com/a/rpkBx

Thoughts on the severity / danger regarding cleaning or disturbing this stuff? We've lived with it for more than a year with no visible symptoms on our parts...

I acknowledge that any advice given on here is not professional / no one can be held accountable for what I choose to ultimately do... The reason I'm looking into this for myself is complicated... I'm just trying to get some answers for myself, and may choose to address the problem myself if I evaluate the risk to be low enough.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,016 • Replies: 1
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2018 05:01 pm
The mold is caused by poor installation of the skylight and the flashing. . Moisture has gotten under the frame and dripped inside down to the drywall around the inside frame..

You are going to have to start up on the roof to reinstall, reseal and re-apply flashing, seaksnt and re-roofing. That inside drywall must be removed and
replaced.

Been there, done that.

Google: how to install skylight on roof.
0 Replies