WHAT are your favorite "road Food" places, your least favorite??

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 01:49 am
My favorite is Applebees. On a long road trip, I like no surprises, just good food. I would nominate Applebees to be the first restaurant on Mars.

My least favorite is Crackerbarrel. (They consider salt a spice and arrowroot a condiment).

No "fine dining" places please, just honest good food

OH YEH- tell us if you look UP or DOWN at the menu
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,419 • Replies: 42
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 05:57 am
@farmerman,
When I wa a kid I loved when my dad woulld stop at Hojo's and wed get the fried clam plates.
I guess this rod food thing is not enjoyed by many other cultures than US and Canada.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 12:32 pm
@farmerman,
I miss the familiar orange roof of Howard Johnson's. To some reason there is no memory of what was eaten there, but, at one point as an adult I craved their macaroni and cheese and was thrilled it was sold in the frozen goods section of the grocery.

Other then that, and since I don't drive (again be very grateful and relieved), I can't think of any other roadside eateries...

...unless you include the olive loaf sandwiches an aunt made for bus trips back to wherever, when leaving a visit in Saratoga Springs.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 12:39 pm
@farmerman,
If I'm in the right territory I'd rather stop at a Harvey's than anywhere else.

No Harvey's? I'll look for a Wendy's since I like their chili.

We're driving into a small town just off the highway? In Canada, I'll always pick the Chinese-Canadian diner before anything else. There are two good ones walking distance from us - run by brothers. Back in the days before the 401, their parents' place - still run by one of the boys - was on the old highway. Sandy's still makes the best fries with gravy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 12:40 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
OH YEH- tell us if you look UP or DOWN at the menu

in a good Chinese-Canadian diner there's a decent chance the menu is taped/glued to the table (or maybe under a piece of plexiglass).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 01:51 pm
I don't travel enough to have a favorite place. There is a Denny's not far down the road that has a special place in my heart. After several weeks with no electric or water, after the water on the roads subsided, we went driving to see if any food place was open. Denny's alone had the open sign lit up. The chicken fried steaks we ate were obviously refrozen or something, but we felt like it was a great luxury to have some cooked food and gladly accepted inferior food with relish. And ketchup.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 02:14 pm
since hamburger lives in a retirement home now, he doesn't get out to travel and eat as much as he once did. that being said, when the weather is good, he takes himself out for lunch on Saturdays. One of his regular spots is Denny's - where he always orders the Santa Fe Skillet. They know him there and start prepping it when he comes in. I'm not sure what they'd do if he ordered something different.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 02:18 pm
@ehBeth,
I've had the Santa Fe Skillet. Tasty. Also hot.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 03:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
"road food" doesnt have to require lotsa travel. Even a drive into town takes us by PF CHANGS and if there is no chance for supper at home, e Chang it
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 04:05 pm
Somehow, 'road food' puts me in the mind of squashed possum.

I happen to favor Denny's. Our hometown Applebees is okay, but those in the Albuquerque are running 0 - 4 against, and in each instance, the problems have been with the service.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 05:05 pm
Denny's is good, for road food. I prefer pancake houses, as one can get bacon, sausages, ham and fried potatoes to go along with the way too much sugar in the griddle cakes and waffles.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 05:08 pm
Our Denny's recently "improved" the pancakes. To me, they are less tasty and the waffle I got was toughest one I ever had.
roger

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 05:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
I sure wish they would quit the cute and innovative pancakes. With diabetes, I avoid all pancakes and waffles, but I shudder to look at a pancake decorated to look like a smiling face.

I do order from the 2,4,6,8 menu. Everyday Value Slam at $4.00 is eggs, bacon, and pancakes. You can substitute toast for pancakes. This is something I can afford, and service is usually excellent (lots of coffee refills). This is in Farmington. Other stores may vary.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 06:33 pm
@roger,
The value menu has some good dishes. I should avoid syrup, but I am weak.
farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 09:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
not a Denny's or IHOP fan. I cannot stand eggs that settle down to limp yolked hen fruits when done sunny side up. (Eggs do spoil in transit nd in storage). Eggs are only enjoyed at home so breakfasts are usually not a road meal to be savored. NOW, having said that, I know of several dozen DINERS that exist between Home and Maine and Home and Charleston west Virginia (everything else is just chance based on caloric needs).

MY ALL TIME favorite diner is the Station Diner in Farmington Connecticut . They sereve farm fresh eggs qhere the yolks stand a decent 2 cm high, indicating freshness and high residual water content.

Breakfast is a toughie or me, since we have ALL the fixins from our farm (except the bacon and scrapple which we get from a Mennonite Butcher named Yoder)
ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 10:40 pm
@farmerman,
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DV45g2YX4AEAsFJ.jpg:large

http://www.businessinsider.com/pf-chang-olympics-2018-2

Quote:
A local news station in Chicago accidentally aired a graphic that referred to the host city of the Winter Olympics as 'P.F. Chang
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 10:52 pm
I had not been in an Ihop for twenty years, but they built a new one up the street and we went in. The food and service were poor and forgettable. I don't recall what we had. We never went back. Near Ihop they put a Chili's. We hated the food there, which was apparently bad due to a horrible staff. I like family style restaurants, such as a place in Tomball called Goodson's. They have great food and you can get almost anything you can think of. Generous portions and great service. It's always crowded and the conversations combine for an incredible racket. I enjoy noisy places.
farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2018 05:31 am
@edgarblythe,
we have a restaurant in Annandale Delaware where we eat a lot in the summer. It too is busy, noisy, and their food is excellent "mom food". I like those kinda places.

NEW JERSEY has always been a special "diner food" state for me. All the state highways (rt40,etc) have these great diners made in a moern copy of a traditional DINER RR CAR. I have no idea why they do it but it usually a sign that the flks inside will spend a lot of time keeping menus interesting.

Most of the Jersey Diners have really great bakeries on premises. In NY state, it seems to be a food desert once you head eat of NYC and into the lake country .Long Island has many diners and especially gret Jewish Delis . "Benny's of Great Neck" (which I think is now closed) was a real go- to place for all kinds of whup cream desserts and deli sammiches that could kill by fat content.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2018 06:10 am
I've not been to an IHOP in probably 40 years. I just want to find a place where you can get a standard 'Merican, greasy breakfast along with a seriously loaded waffle or three.
farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2018 07:05 am
@Setanta,
which one of them restaraunts was the one that used to give stupid names to their breakfass entries.
I recall one called "ROOTY TOOTY FRESH N FRUITY"__That sums up why Im cautious about road food.

1. Forums
  2. » WHAT are your favorite "road Food" places, your least favorite??
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 05:26:29