"Unusual Events" making seismologists nervous

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 01:42 pm
Andaman quakes leave seismologists worried

Friday, 28 January , 2005, 17:54

Mumbai: Unusual events "unheard of in the history of seismology" have been recorded in the Andaman and Nicobar islands, with more than 120 such events being recorded in the last one month, according to seismologists.

The seismology department of the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre and the Earth Sciences Department of the Indian Institute of Technology here have recorded over 120 such unusual events in the islands following the December 26 earthquake measuring 8.9 on the Richter scale that triggered tsunamis which wreaked havoc in several parts of the country.

Of these events recorded at BARC's Gouribidnur station in Karnataka, at least over 33 events were above 5 on the Richter scale, they said, adding "this is unusual and alarming as large amount of energy is being released so frequently."

Eleven events with surface wave of magnitude 5, indicating large amount of energy close to Nicobar Islands was also recorded, the seismologists said.

"Since yesterday, 16 events which range from 5.2 to 5.8 on the Richter scale have been recorded," they said.

"Whether these events are foreshocks or aftershocks - it is not clear, and has to be taken up seriously and the data analysed as fast as possible," the scientists said.

"Both `strike slip and `dip slip are taking place simultaneously and these factors have to be taken very seriously both by scientists and authorities," they added.

http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=13658319
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,208 • Replies: 21
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 02:09 pm
It's nothing to be concerned about it's only god of Abraham preparing the final solution for the disease he/she unloosed on the planet called "humanity". It's only unusual to those with no "faith"
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 02:10 pm
That's really worrying Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 12:03 pm
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/Quakes/at00000281.htm

A strong earthquake occurred at 12:23:18 (UTC) on Saturday, February 5, 2005. The magnitude 6.9 event has been located in the CELEBES SEA. (This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 08:42 am
dys:-

You have to have humanity in order to have the word "disease".Before humanity they had all sorts of wierd things but they didn't exist because there was no name to call them by.The world begins and ends with language.Misanthropicism is not very good for a person.It's too easy.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 12:10 pm
Strong aftershock jolts Aceh
From correspondents in Banda Aceh, Indonesia
March 14, 2005

A STRONG aftershock measuring 5.7 on the Richter scale today rattled the capital of Indonesia's tsunami-ravaged Aceh province but there were no casualties or damage, officials said.

The earthquake which struck at 5.15am (0915 AEDT) was centred under the Indian Ocean floor 78km north-west of Banda Aceh, the head of Aceh's meteorology and geophysics office, Syahnan, said.

He said that there were no reports of damage or casualties.

Aceh is still recovering from the impact of an magnitude 9.0 earthquake on December 26 that triggered a deadly tsunamis.

More than 200,000 people are believed dead or missing from the disaster in Aceh.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,12540430%255E23109,00.html
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 12:21 pm
Hell how many things am I expected to worry about. Anyhow why worry it is a race between a cataclysmic eruption and the sea level rising and swallowing a good part of the coastline. {where I live} Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 12:59 pm
Sorry, au. Not my intention to give anyone the "jitters" - just keeping up with the "news".

Smile
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 01:03 pm
JustWonders
Just kidding, With Bush sitting in the white house drowning or blowing up is the least of the worlds problems
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 12:42 pm
Another big earthquake in the region today.

ctv link

Quote:
Strong quake strikes off Indonesian coast
CTV.ca News Staff

Fears of another tsunami were raised Monday, after a large earthquake struck off the coast of the Indonesian island of Sumatra.

The quake had a magnitude 8.5, according to the Pacific tsunami warning centre. Japan's Meteorological Agency also measured the quake at magnitude 8.5.

It struck at 11:09 ET at a depth of nearly 30 kilometres, according to the U.S. Geological Survey, and lasted about two minutes.

Seismologists believe it was centred in the same area as the massive 9.0-magnitude quake on Dec. 26 that triggered the devastating tsunamis.

The powerful quake could be felt as far away as Malaysia, some 482 kilometres from the epicentre. But there is still not word on whether it triggered a tsunami.

Officials in three countries have issued warnings of a possible tsunami: Thailand, Japan and Sri Lanka.

U.S. Geological Survey spokesman Don Blakeman said the quake may actually be an aftershock from the massive December quake, but it is a "very serious earthquake in its own right."

In Banda Aceh, the Sumatran city hardest hit by the Boxing Day tsunami, electricity was out and thousands of people are trying to flee to low-lying areas.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 02:59 pm
Quote:
Tsunami warning issued for Thailand, Japan, Sri Lanka

March 28, 2005

BANDA ACEH, Indonesia -- Tsunami warnings have been issued in three countries following an 8.7 magnitude quake off the Indonesian island of Sumatra.

link
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 03:18 pm
ehBeth wrote:
In Banda Aceh, the Sumatran city hardest hit by the Boxing Day tsunami, electricity was out and thousands of people are trying to flee to low-lying areas.

[/quote]

Sounds like these guys are a little weak on theory, doesn't it?

Okay, it sounds like a typo; low-lying areas being something I would try to avoid
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 03:21 pm
probably 'from low-lying to higher ' since that's what the other sites are saying

i'm guessing they're more than a bit freaked out by this happening again - reporting v editing may have been on their minds (i think that was from the new india times)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 03:24 pm
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/03/28/international/for_cnd_ANDAMAN_map4.gif
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 03:25 pm
Damn!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 06:04 pm
Quote:
Recorded at 8.7 by the US Geological Survey and 8.5 by Japan's Meteorological Agency, with an epicentre further south than the Boxing Day earthquake, seismologists gave warning that the latest earthquake had the potential to create another destructive tsunami at the end of a week of at least seven smaller aftershocks in the region.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tsunami/story/0,15671,1447291,00.html

Just listening to some BBC coverage on the radio. The numbers reported dead are going up again, from 3 earlier this afternoon to dozens.

Watching with concern. Colleagues at another firm still haven't tracked down a co-worker who disappeared in the December events.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 06:17 pm
Remember first earthquake there:day after Christmas.
This one: Day after Easter

Now I'm no theist but that's definately an eyebrow raiser.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 06:59 pm
I guess this could be expected.

Doesn't make it any easier to deal with.

And I hate the rising estimates of dead every few damned minutes.

I hope the troops and all that haven't gone far (most have just left) if they are needed again.

I guess we will all be getting good at this.

At least it seems there will not be tsunami?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 07:01 pm
one to two thousand now

crap crap crap
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 07:49 pm
Re: "Unusual Events" making seismologists nervous
JustWonders wrote:
Andaman quakes leave seismologists worried

Friday, 28 January , 2005, 17:54

Mumbai: Unusual events "unheard of in the history of seismology" have been recorded in the Andaman and Nicobar islands, with more than 120 such events being recorded in the last one month, according to seismologists.

I think I know how they feel, at least the scientist have each other to lean on and comfort each other.

The bright side to this is (as paulaj sees it) There was so much money donated to the reliefs funds for the last Tsunami, that they have plenty of money for a future disaster.
My family donated to a relief fund and they pretty much said they don't need any more money for the Tsunami, but we can donate to other relief efforts.
What can one do as you sit here or anywhere and realize people could get hurt? I say pray for people...OH, I hope I haven't "offended" anyones psyche with the "P" word,...if I have, I apaulajize.

Fasten your seatbelts.
0 Replies