The Election in Iraq: Would You Risk Death to Vote?

Greyfan

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 05:47 pm
Many of us take for granted the "right" that Iraqis will have an opportunity to exercise for the first time. For the most part, voting for Americans does not involve an increased risk of bodily harm, but there will almost certainly be deaths in Iraq on election day. My question is, would you be willing to put it on the line, faced with the possibility you might not walk away?

For the record, in the 2004 American presidential election, 39.3% of the nation's registered voters did not cast a vote.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,383 • Replies: 8
No top replies

doglover

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 06:59 pm
Nope.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 07:16 pm
At my age, sure. If I still had dependents, no.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 07:38 pm
I would vote in the face of danger in the USA, but if I were Iraqi I would boycot.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 07:53 pm
I take the whole process pretty seriously, and if anybody threatened my right, that would up my commitment level x 100. Ain't no stinkin' religious group/miltant group/band of crazies gonna intimidate me ... bunch of S.O.B.'s ....

Have a nice day ...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 08:57 pm
When I saw the question, I immediately had the same sentiment Noddy had.

My overriding responsibility is to my dependant child.

If my children were independant--(I'd likely have gotten them out of Iraq long ago)--but in the context of the question, No, if I had children at home--and Hell yes, if I was alone. I probably would have been blown up, as I'd likely be campaigning for myself or another woman.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:42 pm
a world without vote is no world for my children....I'd vote.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 10:08 pm
I dunno. I'm no hero. If I lived in the Sunni triangle, I'd probably chicken out. In some Shi'ite backwater or Kurdish town, yeah I'd probably go. I dunno. Easy to say from here, if you havent yourself lived through that kinda thing.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 09:06 am
Iraqi blog site gleaned from Kathleen Parker's newspaper column, Men and Women:

www.friendsofdemocracy.org

The website is financed by Jake Hake and The Spirit of America who have donated the money to Friends of Democracy in Iraq. If all goes well a cross section of Iraqis of varied backgrounds and geographic locations will be posting personal observations of the elections.
0 Replies