Teens and their Stupidity: The Tide Pod Challenge?!

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 06:44 pm
Surprised that no one has written anything here on this freakish Black Mirroresque internet phenomenon.

Have you heard of the Tide Pod Challenge?

Is the 'Tide Pod Challenge' a Real Thing?

Laundry detergent pods remain a health hazard: Five years later from the initial report of small children accidentally ingesting part or all of the laundry pods, do you think the laundry manufacturers will be partially or wholly responsible for this bizzaro meme-induced trend by simply stopping the production of the product in 2013?

roger

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 06:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
Damn convenient young JR happened to have a camera mounted behind the sink, eh?

Did you ever find out what flavors are offered by Tide?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 06:59 pm
@roger,
Quote:

Did you ever find out what flavors are offered by Tide?

Probably Acai berry and pomegranate. Because... you know: Freaking millennials. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 07:05 pm
This is beyond stupidity. I was hoping that I would be in my grave before it became necessary to make things like laundry detergent containers teenager-proof, but I guess not.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 07:10 pm
They are missing a real treat by not trying Cascade dishwasher pods. That's some real soap there.
Glennn

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 08:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
Of course you realize that some teen somewhere just read your post and are now on their bicycle heading to the store to get some Cascade dishwasher pods with money they probably stole from their mother's purse, and in all likelihood will not survive the night. Smile
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 08:48 pm
@Glennn,
Anybody that eats Cascade will not live to see tomorrow.
roger

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 10:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
You say that like it's a bad thing.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 05:32 am
@roger,
I'm confused about it, actually.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 09:38 am
@tsarstepan,
That video is terrifying.

Some people are scary stupid.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 10:27 am
glue sniffing was the thing in my elementary school in the 1960's

my dad lost partial vision in one eye from an iodine experiment as a kid in the 1930's

pod eating now

kids can always be stupid, given the slightest opportunity
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 10:42 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

That video is terrifying.

Some people are scary stupid.

The creator of that Youtube channel is a real life Dr. Gregory House, without being an insane, arrogant, pain-killer addict of a monster doctor (at least that's not been revealed yet).

Albeit, his weight loss videos (which I ignore) are pretty dull and pointless Youtube bait.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 11:19 pm
Millenials are all about not throwing food away,
so they want you to know,
if you take the challenge,
be sure to eat the entire tide pod.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 09:56 am
I feel fortunate my teens are not stupid - maybe a bit crazy but not stupid. They think this is stupid along with other dumb teen stuff - like that passing out/choking game. They actually told me about kids they knew participating in this. My older daughter stopped going to HS basketball team dinners because as she said they did/said inappropriate things.

Crazy is ok - (you know crazy fun thing sort of things - I mean you gotta be young) but stupid no.

When I was a teen - my mom would tell me don't do anything stupid - I would always reply I might do something crazy - but I won't do anything stupid.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 10:29 am
I think this is just an American phenomenon. Proctor and Gamble don't really market as Tide over here, we've got Ariel, Bold and Fairy. They're not called pods either, but liquitabs. The only adverts I've seen are aimed at parents keeping their products away from little kids. I'd never heard of it being eaten by people old enough to know better. It's all Darwinism I suppose.
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 12:27 pm
Pods? Nah! But I did eat alot of school paste, however. I remember it came in a large plastic jar and smelled quite good.

Perhaps it's the visual and smell factor of the pods that makes them sppealing. Certainly not the taste, is it?
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 12:46 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I think this is just an American phenomenon. Proctor and Gamble don't really market as Tide over here, we've got Ariel, Bold and Fairy.

I dunno. In the 1980s in Britain there was a craze for fruity shampoo, with apple being very popular, I think Alberto was first, and all the big companies followed, and in the papers there was a spate of stories about people (adults, I mean) drinking the stuff because it smelt so nice, they thought it must taste nice too. Mostly it just made them boak, but sometimes they needed a visit to hospital. I see it is still a problem. The American National Institutes of Health talk about "Food Imitating Products" (FIPs) which are household cleaner or a personal care products that exhibit food attributes in order to "enrich consumption experience". They say many cases worldwide have shown that this marketing strategy has led to unintentional self-poisonings and deaths. They suggest that the "appetising" aroma and appearance can fool people's brains. I remember British TV "public information announcements", in the 70s and 80s which were Government commercials warning about playing with matches, leaving pills around for toddlers, trespassing on the railway, etc. There was one where Mummy had stored some ammonia in a lemonade bottle and put in the cupboard under the sink for her little girl to find and take a swig of. The voice-over had a hospital consultant doctor saying "She had inhaled her vomit. There was nothing we could do, I'm afraid".

izzythepush

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 02:29 pm
@centrox,
This is different, then people assumed it would taste nice, now they know it doesn't. It's followed a peculiar arc, first as public safety warnings aimed at parents of small children, then as a series of joke memes about how delicious it is, and only after all that are teenagers actually taking it.
Linkat

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 04:08 pm
@izzythepush,
Unfortunately Americans are not the only country where teens do stupid things it is more a teenage thing -

“In teenage brains there is a need to take risks. As part of being a teenager, they need to try new things that are potentially very risky and dangerous, like the game, and like drugs and alcohol,” she said.

The choking phenomena is in the UK for example - and I am sure you could do a search and probably find this dumb behavior almost everywhere. I would venture to guess there probably is something just as dumb to eating tide pods for teenagers in other countries -

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/choking-game-parents-warn-of-choking-game-craze-after-death-of-12-year-old-son-a7067256.html
centrox

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 04:49 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
As part of being a teenager, they need to try new things that are potentially very risky and dangerous

In 1968 a bunch of guys I knew aged 18 had a dare to see who could drink the greatest number of whisky shots. The winner, at 23 shots, in about as many minutes, collapsed. Luckily one of the people present had a dad who was a. cool b. a doctor. We scooped him into a car and drove him there. He might have died if nobody had done anything.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Teens and their Stupidity: The Tide Pod Challenge?!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 08:02:55