jespah

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2018 07:16 am
@Region Philbis,
'Tis true.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2018 02:42 pm
@ehBeth,
It was back in '98 and I was exploring this new discovery of the Internet. Back then I'd explore most everywhere and become lost for hours. Probably did a search and the results landed me on the first forum..which was a weird place.

Some years later, author Ed McBain was responsible for bringing me here. Again, it was an info search and a2k popped up and I signed on.

Never knew of abuzz until mentions of it here.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2018 03:00 pm
@Sturgis,
the very first non-work related board I accidentally signed up for ... maybe '95 ... was for German vampires on AOL - harder to get out than in
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2018 06:22 pm
I don't really remember how I got here, and how long ago it was. I don't post much, and I sort of weave in and out of this forum...

But I do remember starting back in the day on Abuzz. Why? How I found it? No clue really. I suspect I stumbled upon it when I was looking into the sites of American newspapers... the NY Times, probably.
farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2018 04:13 pm
@najmelliw,
I was originally using Excite and found a way to a science discussion board made for mostly academics. It was run by U of Arizona and I got hooked. Abuzz came up in a year or so later, then when that started going nutzy I found a fishing site, a hiker and cavers site and a neat gardening site. I think I got to A2K back in 2003 or 4.

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2018 04:14 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I think I got to A2K back in 2003 or 4.

Member since December 16, 2002
farmerman
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2018 04:17 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Abuzz came up in a year or so later, then when that started going nutzy

that's when I got hardcore with the Taunton sites affiliated with fine cooking/fine gardening/threads/fine woodworking magazines

went to some great get-togethers with the fine cooking group
met mrs. sealpoet through the fine gardening group

I miss that group of sites. They were really beautifully moderated.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 11:31 am
Being originally from Boston (and also living there then), I followed a link to their online presence which I checked out. I think it had just been named Abuzz. The rest, as the saying goes, was history. Been here off and on ever since. So much water under this bridge.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2018 11:59 pm
In 2000, I started a new job which was deathly boring and mostly I had little to do, so I started to roam around the internet. Found the NY Times and started to follow their gravel section. Something in the travel section led me through to Abuzz - where I found a group of nutters - and best of all, Dlowan's Digression threads. I was hooked.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2018 12:24 am
We bought our adult son a complete Gateway computer system for his birthday or Christmas. When he set it up he saw a notice/invitation to join NYT's Abuzz. He enjoyed it so much he talked me into joining.....he even gave me my screen name. I find it deeply satisfying to see the members who have been around even longer than I have.
0 Replies