Can anyone explain the idea of "facebook solidarity" to me?

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 06:09 pm
I got an email today requesting that I change my profile photo to a certain campaign image.

I don't do facebook so I don't get this at all. Is "facebook solidarity" a thing? Is it effective?

Just curious.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,540 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 06:13 pm
@boomerang,
I've been on facebook for over three years now and have never heard of that. Be careful, could be some app looking to hack your account!
boomerang

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 06:14 pm
@jcboy,
It's a local political issue. I get emails from them all the time. I don't think it's anything sinister.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 06:20 pm
@boomerang,
I've seen it before. Change you profile picture to your child, pink ribbon, etc. No harm to it but something I don't bother with.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 06:27 pm
@boomerang,
It's a thing though I never knew it had a formal name. It's a thing and its an annoying trend I ignore at every turn it shows up.

Never got an email asking for a posting of a certain image or message on my profile but I see them often on my news feed.

Do you even have a Facebook account boomerang? If you don't then I expect your email box has been hit with a phishing campaign that assumes you have a Facebook account.
boomerang

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 06:27 pm
@engineer,
I didn't think it was harmful but it just doesn't make any sense to me. I thought maybe I just didn't get it since I don't use Facebook.

From where I'm sitting it sounds like kind of a stupid, ineffective, annoying thing to ask people to do.

Is it a way for people to feel like they're doing something when they really aren't doing anything?

Or does it really make a difference?
boomerang

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 06:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
I get emails from the group all the time. It's a school/education issue and I get emails on this stuff constantly. I think they just assume everyone uses Facebook.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 06:34 pm
@boomerang,
I suppose if you were on the fence and you saw all your friends supported a certain issue, it could be like peer pressure to support it or encouragement to research it yourself, but other than that it is probably more like a futile gesture.
boomerang

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 06:40 pm
@engineer,
That makes sense! Thanks.
0 Replies