BIRT that it is in the best interest of China to . . .

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 02:31 pm
I have a debate in about three weeks, and i just want to gather as much information and as many views as possible for it. Help is all greatly appreciated. I must argue both sides, in both Parliamentary and Cross-X formats.

I must argue "Be it Resolved that it is in the best interest of China to convert to a fully free market economy"

*Before anyone says anything, i know there are some skethcy things about the definitions one might have for "fully free market" and such, but lets try and get pas that.

Thanks,

Dan van Kessel
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 673 • Replies: 6
No top replies

spendius

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 04:59 am
Dan:-

If we can't discuss the idea of a "fully free market" we are going to be in difficulties over whether China would benefit from adopting one.If everybody is allowed to define a "fully free market" for themselves then it is inescapable that they will define China's interests for themselves as well.

Don't you think that it is a trifle haughty for a class entertainment to engage with a nation of China's obvious stature and especially so when our own system has not yet come to an agreed solution to the question.

If you have a vote at the end I can't see the result having the slightest effect on China's ruling class.
But you might all learn something useful from the debate if you approach it properly.

spendius.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 02:30 pm
I would wholeheartedly agree with you spendius, but its not a classroom debate. its a regional competiton . . . so i dont know really what angles im gonna be using yet. I think its a resolution where there can be too many definitions and discrepancies.

So i guess if people could define free-market, and why or why not it would help or further china, it would be greatly appreciated.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:42 am
Dan:-

The idea of a free market is an abstract one.In practice there are no free markets.Leaving aside the laws of the jungle or the sea.Governments have as many ways of avoiding free markets as they have minds to think them up.Even local governments distort free market principles as do institutional elites.
If I was you I would use the debate for some experimentations with exogamy which may well be an arena where something approximating to a free market might be said to exist.

spendius.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 02:29 pm
Ok, ill check that out. Thanks.
0 Replies

graemecracker

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 11:09 am
Debate
I personally think that you have a very well thought out plan and a very intreging partner.... i guarantee that you will go to the provincial finals and dominate

from anomous??????
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 01:23 pm
Graeme?!?! hahaha, what a coincidence. I think domination is assured.
0 Replies