Question on becoming an Australian Citizen (again!)

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 10:19 pm
Hi: I was born in Australia (sydney) but moved to the USA when I was 8....I didn't have much choice about it Smile
My Father was American ..Mother Australian.

If I wanted to move back to Australia and become a citizen, would it be easier for me to qualify than someone who was born elsewhere?

Thanks Much...I can't take 4 more years of "You know who"...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,377 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Adrian

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 11:38 pm
I'm not sure but I think you just miss out on special consideration. You have to have spent 9 years here to be counted as a former resident.

If you have family in Australia then they could sponsor your application.

Best bet would be to contact the embassy and ask them.

Link to Australian embassy in Washington.

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

octalhex

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 12:10 am
Thanks!
Thank you much..Adrian, for your reply and also for the link.
I'll contact them.

Cheers
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 12:16 am
Good luck, octalhex! Very Happy
0 Replies

Allsixkindsamusic

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 04:00 pm
Becoming an Aussie
I have done it twice - not me I was born that way but I took two wives through the full immigration process to Citizenship and passport. The first was in 1978 and after that the rules got considerably tighter.

The second started in mid 1997: permanent residence (PR) was granted in mid-2000, Citizenship sworn and passport paid for mid-2004. The cost was AUD1800 to apply, plus medical examinations and lots and lots and lots of paperwork. There was a 1:1 interview for each of us for PR, and another for Citizenship: we had to present evidence that we actualy lived together (a detailled international phone-bill was handy, plus Stat Decs, letters...) for PR and again for Citizenship.

Comment: the only Australian-speaking officers in the process were The Abominable No-Man (I was enquiring for something, at overseas phone-rates too!), a very helpful lady, and Her Excellency who administered the Oath of Allegiance.

There has never been a problem with Dual Citizenship; Ozzies who picked up another citizenship before about 2002 lost the Oz bit automatically; but now it's OK.

My advice for anyone entering this paper-chase: tell it like to a Judge - the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but... Because if you get caught fibbing you WILL be facing a Judge.

How to actually BECOME an Aussie? About the first caveat is: don't compare anything with home[/i]: it's all new, even the sun is arse-about!
0 Replies

DaFlukes

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 03:04 pm
a query for any knowledgeable citizens
I was reading the previous content...would like to know how what you had to go through Octalhex. I have a distantly related situation am unsure how it will turn out. I wish you well in your endevours
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 08:26 pm
This is the question DaFlukes is asking:

DaFlukes wrote:
Was reading a thread started by Octalhex and decided to start one of my own instead of annexing a piece of his thread. I have a situation...perhaps someone could give me insight.
I too was born in Australia but i was there for only four years (the first four obviously) i then moved with my parents to the US for year and then to Belize. My mother is American but my father is Belizean. I have both American and Belizean citizenship, as far as i know, i am still Australian too...but i am not sure...my passport is expired (AUS) and i would just like to know what you think would happen if i applied for a renewal?

I am considering doing graduate study in Brisbane or in Auckland, and am guessing that it would be both easier and cheaper to study as an Australian than as an international. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences they would care to share?

Hope it is ok to post this, DaFlukes?

I will edit it if it is not.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 04:30 pm
Sounds like my husbands crap with immigration, we applied twice, the first time from Paris. The immigration dept. took the money and ran for cover. The second time we did it from Sydney, 2 years later, we gave them the money, they gave us the visa. I think it is all pretty sad. I am refusing to give up my Australian nationality for this reason. Better to have it and have to renew the French "carte de sejour" than having to go through the Australian Immigration wringer.

Good luck to you. Can you apply as a skilled immigrant? They are supposedly CRYING OUT for them.
0 Replies

Allsixkindsamusic

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 11:58 am
'ave a go ya mug!
As the man said, "... 'ave a go ya mug!"

There is a web-site-ful of info at Australian Government

Good luck.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:04 am
BC
G'day and bonjour!
Long time no see!

How goes it in lovely Lille!? Raining and cooler in Sydney this morning! Autumn is sneaking in Sad
0 Replies

DaFlukes

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 12:20 pm
AUS gov website
Hey thanks for the website...i had taken a look at it before, but now i am currently in the process of applying for a renewal passport.

From what i can see so far...i should still be able to get an AUS passport (mine is expired since 91). I will send that in, go in for an interview at the embassy in Chicago and see if i get rejected or not.

If all goes well, I shall soon be down in my native Brisbane.
0 Replies

Allsixkindsamusic

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 04:56 pm
Good luck DaFlukes. Get all your papers together, get your grooming together, get your HEAD together because in essence you must prove to a bunch of public servants that you will be an asset to Australia.

You may have a hard time because you picked up Belizian and US citizenship before 2002. It may pay to make lots of enquiries by email before plonking down your money.

Drag along all your school records and proof of employment etc; even a health record. Be polite, whatever you do, don't lose your cool, even your bright welcome-me smile. Ask questions, because asking advice strokes these idiots' egos.

And if you DO meet a friendly, helpful one get name-and-phone!
0 Replies