Theocracy VS Democracy

au1929

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 11:42 am
real life
And you think it is because of religion those laws are on the books. You must be pretty damn naive if you believe that to be true. They would be on the books religion or not.
As far as fetal Stem cell research Bush refused to fund that endeavor except in a very limited way. There is plenty of literature on the subject. I will not do your homework for you.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 12:01 pm
au1929 wrote:
real life
And you think it is because of religion those laws are on the books. You must be pretty damn naive if you believe that to be true. They would be on the books religion or not.
As far as fetal Stem cell research Bush refused to fund that endeavor except in a very limited way. There is plenty of literature on the subject. I will not do your homework for you.

But should they be on the books? After all , they express a religious doctrine, do they not?

We can't have any vestige of religious thought in our laws, can we?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 12:14 pm
real life

That nonsence isn't even worth responding to.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 11:13 pm
au1929 wrote:
real life
It also implies freedom from religion in our national government. The religious right or Christian coalition or however you paint it is as much a danger to our freedom as the Taliban's was in Afghanistan.

I would prefer what the First Amendment actually says, rather than what you think it implies. If you want to know what the Founders actually thought, their true intent, why don't you check out the Federalist Papers?

The Founders were clear that they did not want a Federal Denomination to dominate all other religious belief. They never "implied" that they did not want religious people participating in government.

Your comparison of Christians to the Taliban is, of course, preposterous. But at least it shows that you are reading your daily talking points from the DNC. Can you scream like Dean, too?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 01:14 am
real life wrote:
au1929 wrote:
real life
My point is that theocracy is the mortal enemy of democracy and freedom as well as one of the basic premises this nation was founded upon.

Did you really mean to say that theocracy is also one of the basic premises this nation was founded on? That is what your post would suggest.

I think you probably wanted to say that freedom is one of the basic premises this nation was founded on. Is this correct?

If so, I would agree. However freedom and democracy are not the same thing.

The Founders did not want a democracy and they did not establish one.

On the no-democracy assertion. Is there something in the water over there? Of course the US is a democracy. I know this is going on in another thread but I find the tendency to deny that the US is a democracy quite disturbing. It is a democracy and it is a republic, the two are not exclusive of one another. Please spare me yet another reference to the Federalist Papers as well. I appreciate that the Founding Fathers saw the problems that direct democracy can produce and instead went for indirect democracy which is what is in place now. And because there is no monarch (very smart move) then it is a republic.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 07:16 am
goodfielder wrote:
real life wrote:
au1929 wrote:
real life
My point is that theocracy is the mortal enemy of democracy and freedom as well as one of the basic premises this nation was founded upon.

Did you really mean to say that theocracy is also one of the basic premises this nation was founded on? That is what your post would suggest.

I think you probably wanted to say that freedom is one of the basic premises this nation was founded on. Is this correct?

If so, I would agree. However freedom and democracy are not the same thing.

The Founders did not want a democracy and they did not establish one.

On the no-democracy assertion. Is there something in the water over there? Of course the US is a democracy. I know this is going on in another thread but I find the tendency to deny that the US is a democracy quite disturbing. It is a democracy and it is a republic, the two are not exclusive of one another. Please spare me yet another reference to the Federalist Papers as well. I appreciate that the Founding Fathers saw the problems that direct democracy can produce and instead went for indirect democracy which is what is in place now. And because there is no monarch (very smart move) then it is a republic.

It only took a few sentences and you talked yourself into agreeing with me. See? It wasn't that hard. And you didn't have to drink any water. Very Happy

The Founders considered it an important difference and who am I to disagree?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 07:35 am
I am always happy to learn, it's good. So let's get some convergence.
I am happy to acknowledge the development of any democracy. It's by acknowledging the ideas of the past and building on them that we make progress. Now, where do we agree? As soon as you tell me we can move forwards. So you agree that the US is both a democracy and a republic? That's important because if we agree on that yes it's solid ground.

Oh did you mean that "freedom" and "democracy" are not the same thing? Totally agree. That's because they are two different concepts. I mean I am disposed to anarchism and in that sense "democracy" is irrelevant because with anarchism we don't have to worry about government and of course "government" is of itself restrictive.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 07:44 am
real life
If you want to get an insight into the views regarding the separation of church and state of the founding fathers of this nation go to :
link
http://beta.search.msn.com/

Subject
Religious views of the founding fathers of the US
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 09:39 pm
au1929 wrote:
real life
If you want to get an insight into the views regarding the separation of church and state of the founding fathers of this nation go to :
link
http://beta.search.msn.com/

Subject
Religious views of the founding fathers of the US

I prefer to read it in their own words, unfiltered and unspun, thanks.
0 Replies