THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

msolga

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 06:44 am
Was just thinking: if the Chasers will now have to submit their scripts to ABC management for approval (after their two week suspension, that is), who know what other potentially "sensitive" issues will deemed unsuitable for public consumption? I think this could be the beginning of the end for them, really. And maybe ABC management wouldn't be exactly unhappy with such a notion?
dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 07:36 am
@msolga,
Yeppers.

I don't know ABC's attitude to them...I assume they get a lot of viewers?

I think it's a shame.

Their whole thing is to be on the edge.

Sometimes they're gonna fall off.

Gotta love Auntie giving them Time Out for bad behaviour.

I wonder if they will have to do without dessert?
msolga

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 07:47 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
I don't know ABC's attitude to them...I assume they get a lot of viewers?

Yes, but this is the first time (I'm aware of) that there's been such an angry public backlash to the Chasers. I imagine there would have been plenty of Liberal complaints to a lot of their material during Howard's last year ... & the ABC Board has many a conservative sitting on it, so ... maybe this is an opportunity not to be missed? Wink The problem is, of course, if one program can be censored or tamed, who's to say others can't be? It's a worry.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 07:56 pm
Moving back to racism, Indian students & Oz. This article was published today in the Sunday Age. I think it's a very thoughtful analysis of the situation. Well worth a read. I'd be very interested in any responses to it. :

Quote:
......The fissure that has erupted is therefore about class as much as race " it is about how globalisation sets mobile people against those who are stuck. It is about how a culture in which every aspect of social life is turned into a commodity sets people whose lives are precarious against each other. It prospers and festers when right-wing politicians do not decry the dismissive racism of their middle-class base, and when Labor politicians abandon their constituents " and then lack the courage to condemn the violence that does occur.

Just about the first thing many people worried about during the recent Indian demonstrations was how this would affect our global "image" and our education "market" " vile and anti-human sentiments. Whatever the basis we put our immigration policy on, the very worst is to treat people as cash cows to be shipped in, milked and treated with indifference and lack of respect.

You can marshal every excuse you like for what is happening. But excuses are simply ways of avoiding some self-reflection about where we are failing. The first and last thing is to stand in solidarity with the Indian students and their demand to be treated as full human beings. Anything else would be, in the face of evil, utter passivity.

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/indians-passive-by-nature-dont-add-insult-to-injury-20090606-bz5x.html?page=-1
dadpad

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 08:31 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

I went and watched it and it isn't the show in question.

I'm pretty sure that was the right episode. The offending segment seems to have been removed.
Prepare to be offended.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS36ZuCW-7c
dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 09:38 pm
@dadpad,
Thankee.

I am afraid it fits right in with my very black humour!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 10:04 pm
@msolga,
Very interesting.

You know, the influx of Asian students in the seventies was more a social engineering thing than anything else...Oz hoped that generations of Malaysian, Indonesian, Filipino, Chinese and Chinese diaspora etc. students would form a home ruling class that had knowledge about and friendly ties to Oz.

It is certainly a MAJOR cash cow now!!

And it, along with increased migration from these countries plus the Middle East and Africa, has similarly transformed central Adelaide and some suburbs. Truly, when I am walking through the city in the mornings, or catching my bus in the evening, I feel as though I am in Asia! I can see that this could be very challenging to many.

I really like the analysis of the new immigration policies, multi-culturalism, and the whole Mabo thing. Whoa!!! That was, indeed, a lot for a country to do in a short time.

The other thing I notice (mainly with clients) is how extraordinarily racist many of our familiar, white immigrants are. I hear truly awful things from Central European, German, South African Russian etc migrants...not to mention Greek and Italian extraction folk...(and you should HEAR the Vietnamese on the Africans, and the Moslems from different countries on each other...remind me to tell you about our "teaching Moslem refugee women to swim" experiences for tales of vicious xenophobia!!!) so we are battling the racism and xenophobia not only of our Anglo-Saxon roots, but that of the rest of the world!!! And now the religious prejudices!

The author certainly seems to have no doubt that Indians ARE being targeted by thugs.

If this is happening at regular places (sounds like train stations eg? I know lots of white kids who get beaten up by white thugs at places like that, too...however..) then the police are certainly remiss if they are not putting in resources at known trouble spots.

In a way, I don't "get" the whole "are we racist" thing. Of COURSE we have a racism problem....I am not sure if there are many countries who do not?

I think we melting pot countries make our racism way more evident, because we challenge the racism all the time. The article mentions countries who do it really well...I wish he had identified these. We ought to be learning from them.

Surely this is an assumption we make and try our best to ameliorate and educate and generally do stuff to try to alleviate, in an ongoing way? As our schools are doing.

Anyhoo, ALL foreign students here deserve the best we can give them in terms of comfort, safety and support, because we sure are getting a lot out of them...and because they are people we are living with.

Deckland

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 01:21 pm
Food for thought :-----

Quote:
The lessons of history teach that diversity, aka multiculturalism is seldom a strength and usually leads to the death of the nation practicing same.The wonderful process by which so many from so many places welded together was known as assimilation, which is directly contrary to multiculturalism. People came, learned the prevailing language, history and culture, and blended in while adding a bit from their own past. Strong nations come of such.
The current insane notion of multiculturalism, leads to separate and distinctive subcommunities which can function as a whole only so long as a dominant culture holds them together. As these unassimilated minorities grow in numbers, the fabric of society will pull in various directions and be ripe for exploitation, internal and external. Even the sacred political dialog of democracy weakens when that dialog is carried on in multiple tongues which other members of the same state cannot understand. Multiculturalism is the current liberal mask for the dewesternization of western nations. It is produced by the liberal sickness of white guilt. It is childish and naive, and displays a total lack of grasp of the essential elements of national cohesion.
msolga

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 02:44 am
@dlowan,
There is so much I could say in response to your post, Deb. (Maybe, due to a shortage of time right now, I'll keep posting away over the next few days! Otherwise dinner might not get cooked & eaten. Wink )

Quote:
It is certainly a MAJOR cash cow now!!

By "it" you mean the overseas student "industry" in Oz. (Just filling in anyone who might not have been following this discussion too closely.)
Yes, it's a huge source of revenue for this country. One of our largest sources of o/seas revenue, in fact. With all variety of positive & detrimental effects on the students themselves, the communities they live in & the provider education institutions themselves. (There is so much that could be written about this!)

But one aspect of the "o/seas student industry" that the writer of the article didn't touch on is that the tertiary education sector has become a de facto immigration agency - along with our "official" migration intake. To put it another way, o/seas students pay up big for their courses, many with the intention of actually migrating to the country. In fact, this is the reason that many undertake their courses in the first place. I have a big problem with this, not just the exploitation of the students - Indian & others - but with the notion that anyone should pay up to migrate to the this country. Absolutely abhorrent! It also infuriates me that some migration "legitimately" takes place via this avenue while asylum seekers arriving by sea so often face such harsh treatment - often years of detention & distress - before being acknowledged as "legitimate" by the Australian authorities. We hear so much about "que jumping" on the part of desperate asylum seekers, yet our government cynically allows de facto migration via fee paying students. I could go on & on about this ...

Quote:
If this is happening at regular places (sounds like train stations eg? I know lots of white kids who get beaten up by white thugs at places like that, too...however..) then the police are certainly remiss if they are not putting in resources at known trouble spots.

They (the attacks in Melbourne) do appear to be happening in the same suburbs, train lines at night, the same railway stations (& these suburbs tend to be the more affordable ones for the students). These same suburbs have received wave after wave of migrants because of their affordability. Footscray, for example, has a huge Vietnamese population, followed by a large fairly recent African (& other) refugee influx. Same with Springvale & St Albans (constant "trouble spots" for indian students). Many people these suburbs tend to be not too well off financially (high unemployment/welfare rates) & yes, I'm sure there is resentment at the constant flow of so many new o/seas residents on the part of some "old" residents. And unfortunately the new residents/migrants are not given sufficient support services within their new communities, say nothing of the proper supervision at regular trouble spots, like train stations. I read a recent report that Indian students were forming their own support/protection groups at St Albans Station. I also read that another Indian man was bashed there last night. Sigh. When are the authorities going to address the problems at known trouble spots, for god's sake? All we seem to get from them is PR.
msolga

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 02:54 am
@Deckland,
What's the source of that quote, Deckland? Is this your view, too?
dadpad

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 03:31 am
17 cm of snow here at lunchtime.
msolga

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 04:14 am
@dadpad,
Surprised Really?

Been raining cats n dogs in Melbourne! (About time, too!) Very Happy
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 04:19 am
@dadpad,
Is that a permanent covering during the winter months or gone the same day dadpad?
msolga

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 04:20 am
@Dutchy,
Come on, Dutchy! SA weather report, please! Wink
Dutchy

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 04:24 am
@msolga,
As you wish msolga, 15 degrees in Port Lincoln where I am at present, with lots of rain, 20mm, very welcome for this wheat growing district.Rained pretty well all over the State.
msolga

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 04:31 am
@Dutchy,
Excellent, Dutchy! The farmers will be thrilled!

Not quite so much here, I think, but a helluva relief to actually see rain again. It's been weeks since the last decent downpour!

Dutchy

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 04:43 am
@msolga,
Farmers are happy, crops are in and these follow up rains is just what is needed. Little fishing for me though, waters are to rough besides I don't like the cold. Smile
msolga

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 05:24 am
@Dutchy,
But I'll bet you have plenty of fish you've caught in the freezer, to tide you over, Dutchy.
Deckland

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 01:57 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

What's the source of that quote, Deckland? Is this your view, too?

I don't remember where that quote came from msolga, but there may be some truth to it. I thought I would do what you have been doing and post it and wait and see what others had to say before I made a comment of my own.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 11:41 pm
@msolga,
You're correct there msolga. enough to see me through to early August when I'll next visit this place, will stock up then. Son will probably be in town before then and drop something off.
0 Replies