THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2023 08:35 pm
@hingehead,
I vaguely remember some of that - thanks for a new rabbit hole to explore!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2023 08:40 pm
@hingehead,
I remember Holt. Australian politics was one of my big interests in the 60's.

I need to step into the wayback machine!
hingehead

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2023 09:34 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
I need to step into the wayback machine!

We're still trying to step out of it - the LNP being the only anchor trying to drag us back.
Builder

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2023 09:41 pm
@hingehead,
And in typical Aussie fashion, we coined the term "doing the Harold Holt" which is rhyming slang for doing the bolt, (leaving hurriedly, without saying goodbye). A reference to the sudden disappearance of prime minister Harold, while swimming at Cheviot beach, at Portsea.

No remains were ever found, and theories abounded, including that he was picked up by a soviet submarine, or something like that.
hingehead

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2023 09:45 pm
@Builder,
But we did name a public swimming pool after him https://www.stonnington.vic.gov.au/active/About/Centre-locations/Harold-Holt-Swim-Centre
Because we're irony gods.
Builder

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2023 09:53 pm
@hingehead,
Like yourself, I was much too young to be following the scenario, but he was missed by many, so I'm guessing he wasn't such a bad leader after all.

It was the days of "reds under your beds" in the US of A, so maybe that's where the soviet submarine story came into it.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2023 05:11 pm
Brisbane backpacker hostel sheltering the homeless set to close due to rising costs, tenants facing life on the streets

A report released last month found the number of homeless people in Queensland had risen by 22 per cent in five years — almost triple the increase nationally.

Deryk Murphy, 53, ended up on the streets after a relationship breakdown.

He works odd jobs as a labourer but could never afford market rent.

"I say every person is one step away from homelessness, lose your job, lose your house — you have nowhere else to go," he said.

source

Things are grim for a lot of Aussies, and I don't see much effort coming from the major parties at all.

I visited a garage sale a few months ago, in my area, and got chatting with the owners, who were moving back to their family's home.

They listed their house for 40 thousand above market appraisal, thinking they were in no hurry to sell just yet. It sold within twenty minutes to an online buyer, and the money was transferred from an account in Dubai.

I pass that house on my regular shopping trips, and it's definitely not tenanted.

Investors have pushed the market beyond the reach of many Aussies.

So much for the lucky country.
hingehead

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2023 06:10 pm
@Builder,
Your point about the major parties is well taken. No surprises the Greens picked up three inner city seats in 2022 campaigning on housing and local issues.
Builder

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2023 08:47 pm
@hingehead,
I wouldn't put much faith in the Greens either. During their campaign, I posted some rather basic questions on policy to their social media "platform" and copped personal smears and insults in return.

Not only are they unwilling to discuss policy, (it's all on our website, troll) if you're not a "party faithful", you're identified and treated as an enemy.

Closed shop, is that one.
hingehead

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2023 10:25 pm
@Builder,
I can't imagine that the way you might ask a question in a way that someone might think you were a troll Wink

But the greens in Brisbane have long had a strategy
Social work as a political strategy: Greens aim to grow a grassroots campaign in a Brisbane seat
Builder

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2023 11:09 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
I can't imagine that the way you might ask a question in a way that someone might think you were a troll

Aaah, so you're a green too? I guess I should have put two and two together on that one.
hingehead

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2023 11:38 pm
@Builder,
Feck no, no party has my allegiance, only policies. But you do you Wink
Builder

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2023 12:17 am
@hingehead,
I kind of cottoned on to Ricardo Bosi, but his admission that he's not a team player lost me.

Several friends are fans of UAP, but they're one step behind the PHONies in being extremists lately.

If it comes down to actual policies, it's gonna be a tough bingle, I'm thinking.

Locally, the Liberals couldn't bake a cake with instructions from Bernard King.

Labor is still high as a kite on winning the Federal ticket, while at a state level, they're stuck in C19 attack modus operandi.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2023 03:54 am
Quote:
During their campaign, I posted some rather basic questions on policy to their social media "platform" and copped personal smears and insults in return.

Courting online abuse, no doubt!

Quote:
I can't imagine that the way you might ask a question in a way that someone might think you were a troll

Laughing
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2023 07:14 am
@hightor,
He fell right into your trap!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2023 01:38 am
Following the Dominion settlement by Fox, Lachlan Murdoch has dropped his defamation case against Australian publisher Crikey.

They were accused of defamation after calling the Murdoch family an "unindicted co-conspirator" in the State Capitol attacks.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2023 05:50 am
@izzythepush,
So in Murdock's case, the best defense is most certainly not offense.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2023 06:33 am
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/14/e7/21/14e721e90568055fc480b29701ca3d77.jpg
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2023 07:24 am
@hingehead,
Not much of a fan of drag entertainment, Dame Everage was wonderful. Barry Hunphries was wonderful as Dame Everage.

It always seemed it was Dame Everage and not Barry Humphries as Dame Everage. Humpries was always a great guest on talk shows when he left Dame Everage at home.

It is a sad day.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2023 08:11 am
@hingehead,
For me he was Envy in the original, and best, version of Bedazzled with Pete and Dud.
0 Replies