math riddle

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 02:02 pm

Hello all, hope you can help me, I recieved a math riddle and for the life of me I cannot solve it. I am going nutz. Just wondering if anyone has come across it. It's the riddle about Four gentleman and their last names, Mr.Dutch,Mr.English, etc...If anyone has heard of it, or need more info...please let me know....Thanks a bunch. Here's the riddle:

Four gentleman and their last names are Mr.Dutch,Mr. English,Mr.Painter, and Mr.Writer and they are all teachers at the same school. Each teacher teaches two subjects. Furthermore:

*Three teachers teach Dutch language
*There is only one math teacher
*There are two teachers for chemistry
*Two teachers,Simon and mister English, teach History
*Peter doesn't teach Dutch language
*Steven is chemistry teacher
*Mister Dutch doesn't teach any course taht is taught by Karl or Mister Painter.

The question:
Part A- What is the full name (first and last name ) of each teacher?
Part B- Which two subjects does each one teach?

Helppppp!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 975 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 03:09 pm
Hi GIANNA

Since Peter is the only one that does not teach the Dutch language, and Mr. Dutch does not teach any course that is taught by Karl or Mr. Painter, it follows that Peter and Mr. Dutch are the same person and that he is at least math teacher. Simon and Mr. English both teach the Dutch language and history.

Peter Dutch therefore has to teach, next to math, also chemistry. Because Steven is also a chemistry teacher, he cannot be Mr. English or Mr. Painter. He must be Mr. Painter. Since Karl and Mr. Painter are two different persons, just like Simon and Mr. English, the names of the other two teachers are Karl English and Simon Painter.

Summarized:
Peter Dutch, math and chemistry
Steven Writer, Dutch and chemistry
Simon Painter, Dutch and history
Karl English, Dutch and history

Do I win some sort of BIG prize?
0 Replies

GIANNA716

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 03:22 pm
Thanks Tryagain, reading this over right now...And for the prize...Bummer If I had one to give, you'd get if for sure
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 03:34 pm
Laughing
0 Replies