How many genders are there?

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 10:45 pm
I recently saw a site that claimed there were 63 genders. And no matter how creative I allow myself to be, I still cannot think of 63 different genders. My mind can only think of 2 genders, male and female. So I decided to put it out there. How many genders do you think exist and why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 3,968 • Replies: 11
No top replies

bunnyhabit

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 11:24 am
@Christian0912,
i have only seen two physical possibilities, either a split tail (female) or a faucet (male)
Christian0912

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 04:30 am
@bunnyhabit ,
That's what I can say as well. I wanted to know if there was anyone out there that agreed with this ridiculous '63 gender' nonsense, and explain to me how they came to their conclusion
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 04:40 am
There are only two genders, and anyone who thinks otherwise is being ridiculous. That is, essentially, what you are saying. What is ridiculous is the notion that anyone is going to play your game with you.
centrox

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 04:46 am
There are only two biological genders (scientific), but there could be more than two legal genders (social/political), couldn't there? Some non-western societies have long recognized transgender and/or non-binary people as a third gender, though this may not (or may only recently) include formal legal recognition. Among western nations, Australia may have been the first to recognize a third classification, following recognition of Alex MacFarlane as having indeterminate sex, reported in 2003. Transgender advocate Norrie May-Welby was recognized as having unspecified status in 2014. In the United States, an Oregon circuit court ruled in 2016 that Jamie Shupe could legally change gender to non-binary.

The Hijra of India are probably the most well known and populous third sex type in the modern world.

0 Replies

ronaldcram

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 02:03 pm
@Christian0912,
There are two genders: male and female. In addition, there are a number of birth defects resulting in people with partial genitalia of both sexes. These people used to be called hermaphrodites but the term commonly used today is intersex.
centrox

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 02:05 pm
@ronaldcram,
ronaldcram wrote:
birth defects resulting in people with partial genitalia of both sexes.

That's a bit harsh and crude.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 01:13 am
@Christian0912,
Christian0912 wrote:
I recently saw a site that claimed there were 63 genders. And no matter how creative I allow myself to be, I still cannot think of 63 different genders. My mind can only think of 2 genders, male and female. So I decided to put it out there.

I Googled it (well, I actually used DuckDuckGo, but whatever). I figured that if the claim was widespread, there'd be a site explaining the claim. I figured correctly.

http://apath.org/63-genders/

Christian0912 wrote:
How many genders do you think exist and why?

Meh. Don't care. I just thought I'd look it up and see how they arrived at 63.
0 Replies

Sam560

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 12:51 pm
@Christian0912,
Only 2. Male or female. Gender specifically means this.
0 Replies

Christian0912

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2018 02:23 am
@Setanta,
Ok. Nice.
0 Replies

nononono

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 12:58 am
@Christian0912,
there are only 2 genders
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 09:37 pm
@ronaldcram,
ronaldcram wrote:

There are two genders: male and female. In addition, there are a number of birth defects resulting in people with partial genitalia of both sexes. These people used to be called hermaphrodites but the term commonly used today is intersex.

I had a friend who was a hermaphrodite. At 11 his parents made the decision to have him "fixed" as male only; ie, removed all the vestige of female organs. It mentally, negatively affected him. So now he was physically male but mentally female, so therefore, he was gay. Well, kinda.

He got married and had three daughters back in the 60's . In a very conservative state, before the closet door was opened - this was what be was suppose to do. Then the door opened and he came out. His dauughters preferred to live with him, btw. Their mother was a real beotch.

He got caught stealing and went to prison for a few years. Well, he got raped in there a number of times and contracted AIDS. This was pretty mentally debilitating for him also as can only be imagined. I first met him in 1990 and he died in 1993-4. He was a real nice guy and a great artist also. My life is richer having met him and I cherish a statue he sculpted and gave to me.
0 Replies