Send a crew OVER

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2018 01:14 pm
Would you please explain the function of "over" in the sentence below? In other words, does it have a real meaning or is it just a colloquialism? Also, would the meaning of the same sentence change if I omitted "over"?

CNN decided to send a crew over to do a piece on the bus accident.

Thank you

layman

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2018 01:24 pm
@paok1970,
paok1970 wrote:

Would you please explain the function of "over" in the sentence below? In other words, does it have a real meaning or is it just a colloquialism? Also, would the meaning of the same sentence change if I omitted "over"?

CNN decided to send a crew over to do a piece on the bus accident.

Thank you

The meaning would be the same without the word "over."

"Over," in this context, just means over land, over sea, or whatever terrain, to get to where the person you are talking to is.

Often the destination is more specifically stated, like "I'll send someone over to your house to deliver it," but that too is basically implied in most cases.
paok1970

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2018 01:45 pm
@layman,
Is there a difference between "to send someone to a place" and "to send someone over to a place"? Don't you think that "over" is redundant/unnecessary but it is commonly used?

Thanks again for your kind help.
layman

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2018 02:56 pm
@paok1970,
paok1970 wrote:

Don't you think that "over" is redundant/unnecessary but it is commonly used?

Thanks again for your kind help.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I think. I mean, I guess you could argue that if I just said "I'll send someone," the other person might ask "where?" "Over" tends to specify that the trip will be to where you are (or the place you are discussing). Maybe that's why it's common to instead say: "I'll send someone over." If you're talking about a place other than your current location (say your sister's house), then one will often add the word "there." "I'll send someone over there." You could still leave out "over," though.

You're welcome.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2018 12:28 pm
@layman,
Well put, Lay. Man, but I'm impressed by the helpfulness of so many a2k'ers
0 Replies