Knowledge is evil

duce

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 06:23 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Evil has always been with us. With knowledge, there is not more evil, only more sophisticated forms of evil!

I agree with Phoenix here, (scary because we are sooooo different) and also submit that we may only be more AWARE of the evil around us due to technology. Example TV: We always had war, but Vietnam was sort of live on TV so we react differently because we were exposed as a mass population to it.

Also with the population growth maybe more of the animal in us comes out. Smile We are less willing perhaps to share space because it seems there is less of it. More selfishness, greed (because again we SEE more of the disproportionate wealth. Just a Thought, Smile Free Duck are you in here?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:02 pm
Ray wrote:
Quote:
Evil is not an inherent condition of nature. It is a judgment imposed on the world by us humans.

Good and Evil only exist because we humans label things as such.

I disagree. We label things as "good" or "evil" to certain things, but even though the words are tools, the inherent meaning behind the words are real.

If one person kills another, we might call it evil. Unless that person killed in self defense, or to save another innocent life. The act of killing itself is neither good or evil, it is simply an act. It is the judgement we place on the act which makes it good or evil. And since those judgments are subjective, there is no universal quality of good or evil.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 11:49 pm
Quote:
If one person kills another, we might call it evil. Unless that person killed in self defense, or to save another innocent life. The act of killing itself is neither good or evil, it is simply an act. It is the judgement we place on the act which makes it good or evil. And since those judgments are subjective, there is no universal quality of good or evil.

I disagree. No living, conscious, rational being would want to be killed. It is thus universally 'wrong' for a living conscious thing to kill another living conscious thing (at least the ones with rational capacity). The action of killing a person is wrong and can be validated by our reason.
If one were to kill a person and call it 'right', it is irrational since he is also a living, conscious rational being and if he killed another person than he is asserting that living, conscious, rational beings should be killed.
Metaphysically, we don't completely know whether an action can be called right or wrong, but our reason is closest to knowledge and thus it is what I think can tell us what is right and wrong.

You probably disagree, but hey my two cents. :wink:
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 10:34 am
Ray wrote:
You probably disagree, but hey my two cents. :wink:

Yup, I disagree (for reasons stated previously). But that's ok. Smile

Do you consider yourself a religious person?

On what do you base your Universal valuation of "good" and "evil"?
0 Replies

Max209

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 02:39 pm
Ray wrote:

I disagree. No living, conscious, rational being would want to be killed.

er suicide?????

your living consciousness admittedly not everyone who does it or attempts it is rational but undoubtly there are people that are
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 08:41 pm
Quote:
er suicide?????

Here's my view on suicide: When people are suicidal, people think that 'they' will be free from their suffering when they die, however they do not fully grasp that once they die there might be no 'them' (meaning no life, and end of the pattern and continuation of conscious life that is 'them').

I once also felt suicidal, and when I asked lots of people in my class whether they have once in their life ever felt suicidal, amd they all surprisingly replied yes. Of course this is no where near to that of people who is suffering from major depression.

Quote:
Yup, I disagree (for reasons stated previously). But that's ok.

Do you consider yourself a religious person?

Honestly I don't know, Confused or maybe I haven't made up my mind yet lol. I would call myself a pro-rational universalist. Laughing
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 07:05 am
Suicide is cheating. We all want to get to the end eventually, but most of us will agree it's not a race.
0 Replies

Max209

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 11:09 am
Ray wrote:
Quote:
er suicide?????

Here's my view on suicide: When people are suicidal, people think that 'they' will be free from their suffering when they die, however they do not fully grasp that once they die there might be no 'them' (meaning no life, and end of the pattern and continuation of conscious life that is 'them').

I once also felt suicidal, and when I asked lots of people in my class whether they have once in their life ever felt suicidal, amd they all surprisingly replied yes. Of course this is no where near to that of people who is suffering from major depression.

ok i dont see how that does anything thing to my arguement as u say that "No living, conscious, rational being would want to be killed" and i have given you people that do but if sucidal people arent enough

what about people who want to be euthanised (or have euthnasia done to them)
you cannot argue with that with what u said before as that was and opinion that doesnt agree nor disagree so please if you are going to put a statement like that down please be prepared to have arguements for your reasoning behind it
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 02:42 pm
Quote:
ok i dont see how that does anything thing to my arguement as u say that "No living, conscious, rational being would want to be killed" and i have given you people that do but if sucidal people arent enough

what about people who want to be euthanised (or have euthnasia done to them)
you cannot argue with that with what u said before as that was and opinion that doesnt agree nor disagree so please if you are going to put a statement like that down please be prepared to have arguements for your reasoning behind it

??? I just provided a segment of my reasoning.

People truly do not want to be killed. The reason that they might think that death might be better than their life is when they are in intense suffering. Even at this instant though, they might not put into consideration that if they die there might be no them and thus no real 'escape' from suffering.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 02:43 pm
Quote:
Suicide is cheating. We all want to get to the end eventually, but most of us will agree it's not a race.

Are you an existentialist? :wink:
0 Replies