New England Volcano Forming?

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 02:04 pm
If you’re looking for a volcano there’s a number of places you’d probably check first, like Hawaii or even Yellowstone National Park, but new data suggests you might want to turn your attention to the northeastern United States. Researchers from Rutgers University just revealed that a large swelling of hot rock is bubbling up under New England, and it may be the first hints that a new volcano is forming under our feet.
The findings are incredibly interesting for a number of reasons, not least of which because the east coast of the United States isn’t exactly a hotbed of potentially dangerous geological activity. Despite that, the data is undeniable, and it seems as though there is definitely something rising up from deep within the Earth in the region.

http://bgr.com/2017/12/19/new-england-volcano-massachusetts-vermont-study/

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 02:05 pm
I read it on the net. It must be so.
coluber2001

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 02:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
Funny, it's not even close to the edge of a plate.
farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 02:27 pm
@coluber2001,
doesnt have to be, think of the Triassic/Jurassic basins from NE to Virginia. A geologist back in the 50's said that these would re-initiate flow and he was laughed to scorn.Just like Wegener.
Volcanism can originate from many different sources, its a deep, v shhallow phenom.
Reading about Popocatepetl as a kid got me interested in becoming a rock knocker
Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 03:37 pm
What the hell does the Pope have to do with it?
roger

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 05:22 pm
@Setanta,
If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 06:50 pm
@Setanta,
that would be Papa or Joepa, not Popo
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 07:14 pm
Voice on TV said the volcano would be well beyond our lifetimes before anybody need be concerned.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 07:24 pm
@farmerman,
pardon me, if were gonna be blown to small particles, I should have at least been more accurate in my terminology. The term "Triassic age volcanics" of the NE US is an incorrect term since the convening of the stratigraphic congress. The term "Newark Supergroup" is preferred(and you will be docked credit if you continue using Triassic aged.

The Newark group are sed an some minor basic volcanics deposited and experienced in a series of half and full grabens and horsts that trike about N30 E and dip about 20 degrees to the West in the half grabens. The volcanics( basalts and other basic rocks) occupy the line at various points from New Hampshire ,VT Connecticut, NJ Pa Md and Va .The y occur along this line and blew out say every 50 to100 miles or so. Hardly going to be a suprevolcano but itll keep lotsa geophysicists employed.
Ive been wanting to get a hold of some colleagues and share some well level data .
The article in Earth isnt panicky since the temps arent really that out of the ordinary and other things are within ranges of normal.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 07:35 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
A geologist back in the 50's said that these would re-initiate flow

we were taught (?) about this in the 1960's

not sure if it was on the curriculum or something our particular teacher had an interest

I always thought it was weird that we never heard about it again. Like, dude, if there's going to be volcanic activity, you'd think our parents would have heard about it. Nope. Just more air raid siren practice and checking the list of what to take over to the high school.
farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 07:46 pm
@ehBeth,
and to crawl unter our desks so we all become nice kindling kinders
ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 07:48 pm
@farmerman,
Our very slight generational difference is showing.

We didn't do the under-the-desk thing.

We did have to be sure to have our transistor radios and batteries with us.

Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 08:08 pm
EMP from a thermonuclear attack would toast your transistor radio--futility apparently reigned everywhere.
farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 08:22 pm
@Setanta,
we had a happy little song about something like "duck and cover"...
I dont recall the music but it was a happy thermonukular ditty.

PS, we hd heavy desks with thick beech top (kinda like carpenters bench). We were told that the thick desks would work and protect us all.

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 08:37 pm
Magma domes such as is described in that article are no respecters of tectonic plates. The only reason that the borders of plates are so noticeably active is because the magma domes break through there--such as the so-called ring of fire all around the Pacific. It wouldn't necessarily break through very quickly, or dramatically coming up beneath New England. But it can be spectacular. When the volcano in the Jemez Mountains south of Los Alamos, the Valles volcano, went off between 50,000 and 60,000 ybp, it threw rocks as far as Kansas, a distance of about 800 miles. That one is considered to be one of the smaller "super volcanoes."

Speaking of that, the eruption of Mount Agung on Bali may have dumped enough particulate in the upper atmosphere to actually cool the planet, at least temporarily. A series of eruptions can have a quite dramatic effect in a very short period of time. There were five major eruptions in that region, beginning in 1812 and culminating in the 1815 eruption of Mount Tambora. The cumulative effect, especially with the spectacular eruption of Tambora, a stratovolcano, was a very rapid cooling of the atmosphere. The year 1816 was known as "the year without a summer." At least hundreds of thousands of people and at least millions of head of livestock starved to death or succumbed to the diseases of malnutrition.

I just wanted to put a little bright spot in the thread.
farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 10:31 pm
@Setanta,
many of these "basic rock plutons" are really good laces for gold deposits to form during the fractiontion during the cooling process.
SO, we can wait a million years or more for the vulcanism, then we wait a couple 100K years more and then we go prospecting for gold.
We will be rich. New Hampster int a prior claim state so we can file a claim now and sit on our asses till it cools enough.
farmerman

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 05:21 am
@farmerman,
The question is,"Is there a new spreading center being formed under New England"?? This area has been a center of continental colliions and deep mantle upwellings of tholeitic lava .Is it telling us that the branch of the mid Atlantic ridge that sort of "Forks" off and disappears in the N Atlantic may have a newly found connection to an old Palozoic suture??

THAT is pure speculation on my part but I asked a friend at Tech and he said that we always had a question mark about plates in the area around the North Atlantic .

Think "Horn of Africa" as a model. Even if it happens itll be something to see millions of years down the road. We will all be comfortably dead unless you are a reincarnation believer.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 09:00 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
we had a happy little song about something like "duck and cover"...
I dont recall the music but it was a happy thermonukular ditty.
PS, we hd heavy desks with thick beech top (kinda like carpenters bench). We were told that the thick desks would work and protect us all.

If you were the right distance from the blast, such protection would have saved your life.
farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 04:42 am
@oralloy,

Somebody disagrees with you but doesnt want to discuss it. Hence the negative thumb. It twerent me.

I would imagine that our city, one of those reportedly a prime target due to its metals production during WWII, would have been pretty much obliterated . This would also have, in my opinion, included the entire collection of school desks in the several dozen elementary schools.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 05:59 am
@farmerman,
If memory serves, my school, in Calwa, CA, only had us put our heads down on our desks. It was in the 40's, but I never actually got under a desk.

I don't know why anyone would be thumbing down people on a thread like this.