Quote:
I never actually got under a desk.

It makes it easier to identify the body if you get under the desk
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 11:11 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Somebody disagrees with you but doesnt want to discuss it. Hence the negative thumb. It twerent me.

One was izzythepush. He's been following me around for seven years now voting down nearly all of my posts.

Thanks for the upvotes guys.

farmerman wrote:
I would imagine that our city, one of those reportedly a prime target due to its metals production during WWII, would have been pretty much obliterated . This would also have, in my opinion, included the entire collection of school desks in the several dozen elementary schools.

The thing about nuclear explosions is, there are zones near the center where people will probably be killed no matter what, zones far from the blast where people will probably survive no matter what, and zones in between where many will die and many will survive.

Duck and Cover makes a huge difference for people in these moderate zones. For instance, there are people who would be picked up and thrown through the air and then killed or paralyzed when they hit the ground. If that same person had been lying flat on the ground they would never have been thrown by the blast.

Likewise shrapnel injuries from flying debris could be avoided. The debris would fly over someone lying flat on the ground. Considering that most hospitals would be either destroyed or overwhelmed, it would be a bad time to be picking shards of broken glass out of your skin.

And some of the measures like tinfoil or white paint on windows can keep the thermal pulse from setting the inside of a building on fire.

While not everyone will happen to be in one of these "moderate damage zones" during a nuclear attack, millions of people would happen to be even if by pure chance, and their survival rates would be markedly improved if they practiced Duck and Cover during the attack.
farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 11:19 am
@oralloy,
izzy's kinda that way. He has his own views that are NEVER under negotiation (kinda like you).

farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 11:23 am
@oralloy,
Blast overpressure and firestorm can leave a stanard ring around a normal blast area. However, Ive seen the pix of Hiroshima where a few buildings were actually spared from both and were looked on as miracles.Ive never looked into the why it was so, do you hqve any sources that can speak of these things??

Im sure the folks who were around were dead within a few weeks if not immediately.

The"duck and cover" phrases were more like marketing of "fat busters", It gave a false sense of security that, like a gamma burst, could be over before you can say "HEY...WHAT'S THA...."
oralloy

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 01:23 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
He has his own views that are NEVER under negotiation (kinda like you).

Well when I'm sure that I am factually correct, I'm not going to change my mind unless I can be shown that I am not factually correct.

But I'm always open to discussing the question of whether or not I am factually correct.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 01:27 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Blast overpressure and firestorm can leave a stanard ring around a normal blast area. However, Ive seen the pix of Hiroshima where a few buildings were actually spared from both and were looked on as miracles.Ive never looked into the why it was so, do you hqve any sources that can speak of these things??

Not off hand. But just speculating, an adjacent building may absorb a lot of the shock wave and the surviving building may have been constructed and positioned just in the right way to resist what blast does hit it. Also topography could influence the path of the blast in areas.

farmerman wrote:
Im sure the folks who were around were dead within a few weeks if not immediately.

Depends on their exposure to radiation. The first second of the explosion there was a lot of radioactivity from unstable fission fragments with very short half lives. But that too falls off with distance. If you are far enough away so that you have a fair chance of surviving blast, you are also more distant from the source of radiation.

It was easier to assess danger levels back in the days of really huge H-bombs, where a single bomb would destroy an entire urban area. "In the center of the city" was bad, and the further away from the center you were, the better your odds.

Now if an urban area is peppered with a dozen small MIRVs, someone near the center of the city might happen to be between explosions and survive (if they practiced Duck and Cover), while someone out in the suburbs might happen to be right at the center of an explosion.

farmerman wrote:
The"duck and cover" phrases were more like marketing of "fat busters", It gave a false sense of security that, like a gamma burst, could be over before you can say "HEY...WHAT'S THA...."

There would certainly be people who would not be saved by Duck and Cover, but it would be a shame for someone to needlessly die because they didn't bother with Duck and Cover and they were one of the ones who could have been saved.

Kind of like deciding not to wear a seat belt because there are some accidents that will kill you even with a seat belt, and then dying from an accident where the seat belt would have made a difference.
farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 10:29 pm
@oralloy,
kinda creepy.

Back to the magma pool, it appears the "track" of this anomaly is along the great serpentine and Logan's line. Interesting thing about that is this is where the continental colliions occured in the pre Cmbrian and during the mid to late Paleozoic. The distance between these lines (separated by at least 400 million years) is less than 50 miles. We could be looking at another sequence of normal faulting OR continental collision.

Id love to be around to see Hartford get it, I dislike that city as much as Buffalo.
0 Replies