End of

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2017 11:02 pm
Hello,

There's a post ended with "end of". Is "end of " less informal than "The End" I used to see at the end of an English film? Is "of" a must here?

Thanks!

Blickers

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2017 11:19 pm
@iclearwater,
Got a link to the post, or can you write or paste the last few sentences. I have seen things end with The End, (one two word sentence), but never "end of".
iclearwater

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2017 11:24 pm
@Blickers,
Thank you for your response. It is the third post of that thread on our forum here.

https://able2know.org/topic/308745-1

Blickers

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2017 11:33 pm
@iclearwater,
I don't know what to tell you. I am very familiar with Lordyaswas, a British poster who, alas, no longer posts here much. This could work two ways. There are some small differences between American and British English, so it is possible "End of" is a British expression.

On the other hand, Lordy was known for his sense of humor, and it would be just like him to make a joke of the well known ending, "The End" by writing a variation he just made up. So I don't know if it "end of" is a Britishism I never saw or one of Lordy's quips.
iclearwater

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2017 11:41 pm
@Blickers,
Thank you for your answer. Smile
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2017 11:46 pm
@Blickers,
He has a couple of recent posts as Lor Delpus. (Lord Elpus), which was an interim screen name.

His use of "end of" looks like nothing more than an elaborate punctuation mark.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2017 02:12 am
@iclearwater,
End of is a term used at the end of an argument to point out that it's just about that issue and nothing else.

The American civil war was about slavery, end of. Means that even though there may have been other factors involved they are minor and insignificant compared to the issue of slavery which is so important that none of the other factors matter.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2017 11:55 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
So I don't know if it "end of" is a Britishism I never saw or one of Lordy's quips.

It is a very common British expression. It means 'there is nothing more that needs to be said about this topic'. Americans might say emphatically 'period!' It's a shortened version of 'end of story' or 'end of discussion'.

My wife is trying to persuade me to go to her sister's house for the weekend. I hate her sister and her damn kids. I eventually say "I'm not going. End of'.

A Google search...

Quote:
Casey smiled again, his usually surly expression lifting handsomely. “We could go along ..... Do you want to stay?” Casey's expression was like that of a starving dog which suddenly finds itself in a butcher's shop. .... “He wants me to go back and live with them but I'm not going! End of.” He glared at Morag ...

Quote:
“I'm not going. End of”. Rae finally has Stamford all figured out, and the idea of leaving for Bristol, leaving all her comforts behind, is impossible. ...

Quote:
His expression was oddly sad, something she never really saw on him before. “Honey,” his voice was rough, but somehow gentle at the ... I don't need stitches or nothin. I'm not going, end of,” Honeybee started to stand, making a move to push past him, but Tim quickly conceded. “Fine fine, Hon just sit back ...

0 Replies

iclearwater

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2017 05:03 pm
Thank you very much for your reply, everyone.

I feel "end of" conveys a little bit of negative emotions, i.e. annoyance, sadness etc. so the speaker or writer wouldn't like to further continue their behaviour or speech. Correct?
oralloy

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2017 05:53 pm
@iclearwater,
iclearwater wrote:
I feel "end of" conveys a little bit of negative emotions, i.e. annoyance, sadness etc. so the speaker or writer wouldn't like to further continue their behaviour or speech. Correct?

It is generally said by someone who has delivered what they intend to be the final word in an argument and they don't want to hear any further challenge to their position. Sometimes people are indeed agitated when they say it, but I think there are also cases where it is said without such aggravation. As with most cases, individual context can tell you a lot.

On British TV shows I've heard it used by parents delivering ultimatums to their children.

It tends to be a British idiom. I don't hear it used in the US.
iclearwater

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2017 10:25 pm
@oralloy,
Thank you, oralloy.
0 Replies