by presenting a series of Surface Structures which we then subjected to

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2017 02:51 am
Quote:
For example, the client has difficulty expressing anger toward her busband. We know this as she began by presenting a series of Surface Structures which we then subjected to the well-formed-in-therapy conditions, finally arriving at the full linguistic representation.

Hello,
-What is the logic subject for "finally arriving at the full linguistic representation"? Is it "a series of Surface Structures"?
A serious Surface Strutures are finally arriving at the full linguistic representatin. Correct?

-Is "which" clause an object clause ?

Many thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 508 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by iclearwater
iclearwater

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2017 03:12 am
A serious Surface Strutures are finally arriving at the full linguistic representatin. Correct?

Correction: A series Surface Structures are .... representation.

Sorry for my typos.
0 Replies

TheParser

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2017 07:01 am
@iclearwater,
In my opinion, the subject of "finally arriving at the full linguistic representation" seems to be "we."

Compare:

"WE then subjected a series of surface structures to the well-formed-in-therapy conditions, so that WE finally arrived at the full linguistic representation."

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2017 11:33 am
IMO

The phrase answers "how" or "when" - good adverb qualifiers - and modifies subjected.

Similar to:
We drove home, finally arriving at midnight.
0 Replies

iclearwater

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2017 09:30 pm
Thank you both for your help.

Would any of you explain the function of which I highlight in red? I think "which" refer to "Surface Structures", and "which" is the object in the following clause, correct?

we then subjected Surface Structures (or which) to the well-formed-in-therapy conditions
0 Replies

TheParser
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 06:52 am
@iclearwater,
"She began by presenting a series of surface structures, WHICH WE THEN SUBJECTED TO THE WELL-FORMED-IN-THERAPY CONDITIONS."

In my opinion:

a. "which we then subjected to the well-formed-in-therapy conditions" is a non-defining (optional) adjective clause. (I believe a comma is necessary in front of "which.")

b. I agree with you that "which" is a relative pronoun that refers to "a series of surface structures" and is the object of "subjected."

i . She began by presenting a series of surface structures. We then subjected this series of surface structures to the well-formed-in-therapy conditions.
0 Replies

iclearwater

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 04:23 pm
Thank you very much!
0 Replies