Time and causality

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:52 am
This problem has us all baffled. According to our understanding of causality there has to be an initial action, a causa sui. Something that is the cause of itself. The only explanation to this is the one given by religion: God has to be the first. The cause of itself, that set it all in motion. But this answer is not very satisfying.

I started thinking about causality itself. That each action is the cause of a new action. It occured to me that along an imaginary timeline, the engine that drives the present "forward" is causality. Time itself does not move.

The reason that I drag time into this is that I believe that causality can be infinite. The notion of linear time is a product of what information our senses gather. It is my belief that time is not linear. It only seems that way to us because we so often in explaining it use the metaphor of distance. This metaphor is useless, because distance refers to space, and the form of space, and the way time is measured in it depends on the matter that is in this space.

What I am getting at is that there does not have to be a beginning to causality. Causality is the only thing that can be the cause of itself, and the word that applies when we see it in motion is evolution. To understand evolution we made up a term called time, wich is basically a map to place events according to eachother. This notion is human, and has nothing to do with evolution itself, only our understanding of it. Causality is evolution, and evolution is eternity, because no action will ever be without consequence, and no consequence can come without any action.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 930 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 11:01 am
Re: Time and causality
Cyracuz wrote:
Causality is evolution, and evolution is eternity, because no action will ever be without consequence, and no consequence can come without any action.

So, causality is eternality then? This explains nothing. It's circular reasoning.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 11:31 am
the concept that there has to have been a 'beginning', and the corollary implication that there will be an 'end!' (not quite as popular), are examples of the anthropomorphosizing of 'thought' itself.

The human animal is, and has always been, preoccupied with the concept of its own 'prime' importance - everything is about 'us' (i almost said 'them', not wishing to be associated with this myopic approach to infinity).

If one were to really think about it, the temporal continuum, where everything proceeds stoically on from never having started, to never going to stop, on a universal (or should i say 'Ultiversal', or 'Infiniversal') scale, makes far more sense; and is more in keeping with what one would expect/infer to be the case.

There only needs to have been a beginning, if there were a 'plan' leading to 'us', the pinnacle of evolution (yeah, right! Shocked).

[and now that 'we' have been reached/happened, there is (surely) no need to go on
- the price of perfection! Rolling Eyes]
0 Replies

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 11:42 am
BoGoWo wrote:
the concept that there has to have been a 'beginning', and the corollary implication that there will be an 'end!' (not quite as popular), are examples of the anthropomorphosizing of 'thought' itself.

It has nothing to do with anthropomorphology or anthropomorphism. You just threw that in there to make it sound good, cosmogenically speaking.:wink:
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 11:48 am
Bibliophile the BibleGuru wrote:

It has nothing to do with anthropomorphology or anthropomorphism. You just threw that in there to make it sound good, cosmogenically speaking.:wink:

not at all - i am never concerned about how something 'sounds', just that it conveys my sense (and sense) of the nature of the chaos in which we exist.
0 Replies

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 11:50 am
OK then, what has anthropomorphism got to do with Causality?
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 01:54 pm
very insightful post. i agree with you completely and challenge you to go one step further.

yes causaulity is the underlying phenemena that drives the unverse forward and we try to map it's motion with the term time. it is in essence what's driving evolution, the building up of more and more complex aggregates of compounds (aggregates initially catalyzes by lightning). These aggregates accumilated into primordial bacteria and slowly into all life as we know it.

For more information on this, read up on "chemical evolution" and the experiments that demonstrated this process underlying all life over 80 yrs ago. Darwin demonstrated that we evolved from monkeys, but if we go farther back, these monkeys evolved from bacteria, which evolved from simple compounds, which were just particulate matter that came from rocks. We, not just our physical selves but our mental selves, all evolved from rocks. The processes underlying the functioning of our brain are the same ones underlying all objects in the universe. The notion of the mind, a soul, sentience, free will are all illusions of what in essence breaks down to extremely complex causal reactions. This is something that science has been increasingly pointing to. And it's a belief for which I am constantly critiqued here. But it is true.

As for where it all begin. That's what the singularity at the big bang is meant to explain. At the point of singularity, all matter and energy in the universe was one united mass. Without any other objects in the universe to interact wiht this mass, obviously there could be no causality. Once that mass exploded to create all universe, causality began.
0 Replies

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 02:13 pm
Centroles wrote:
As for where it all begin. That's what the singularity at the big bang is meant to explain. At the point of singularity, all matter and energy in the universe was one united mass. Without any other objects in the universe to interact wiht this mass, obviously there could be no causality. Once that mass exploded to create all universe, causality began.

If there was no Cause then where did the matter come from?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 03:42 pm
If you read my post to be human-glorifying, BoGoWo, then you have misread it.

Centroles. The way I see it the Big Bang is not the beginning, it is merely an effect. What may cause such an effect?

I think of the universe as a duality. There is matter, and there is void. (Not knowing the nature of this I chose to call it void.)

Imagine matter trapped in this void until the pressure of the matter is greater than the pressure of the void containing it. It explodes, and matter is thrown in all directions. The situation reverses. As the matter is flung outwards it will continue to travel away from it's startingpoint until the pull of the stretching void is greater than the thrust of the explosion. Then the matter will be pulled back until the pressure is so high that it explodes. This is a pulse that never stops, because it is causa sui. The cause of itself.

Causality cannot be explained from one act to another. It is a set of actions. The term itself does not allow a beginning or an end.
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:29 am
Ah, but you've neglected some physical laws here. A pendulum cannot swing forever, implying an end, or at least an eventual cease to the motion.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:39 am
Am I idaho? How long can an object maintain it's speed in space if there's no friction? The environment on earth is not the same environment as the rest of the world.

The rules that govern a chess game are not apliccable outside the game.
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 11:05 am
Gravity, inertia, objects crashing into eachother that don't "bounce" perfectly. Perhaps objects get flung out far enough by the outward thrust that there isn't enough pull to overcome their inertia to start the back toward the center. Any number of things can happen.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 11:22 am
Any number of things can and will happen. But you are thinking in too small terms. Did you understand the part about causa sui?
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 11:53 am
I understand what it means - but it's circular logic.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 12:10 pm
Yeah, but it's a circular subject... Smile
0 Replies