Instinct/feelings

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:13 am
Can it be that what we experience as carnal feelings are really just remnants of instincts? I am talking about feelings like mortal fear and sexual lust. These may be the very same feelings that other animals experience. I believe the difference is that humans have the abillity to understand what they are experiencing, and then to act, while other animals just experience, then act.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 486 • Replies: 2
No top replies

graffiti

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:29 am
The instinct to procreate is reinforced by how good it feels to perform the necessary act. As human beings, we can feel that lust and know we don't have to procreate in order to act on it.

Quote:
Feelings are more difficult to categorize. Feelings vary from subtle to intense. Intense feelings are called emotions. An emotion can and frequently does arise instinctually, like fear when we perceive that our life is in danger. Therefor, we are led to the conclusion that fear is induced by DNA and that it is there to assist with individual survival in dangerous situations. So, if the source of fear is instinct and therefor DNA, are we justified in expecting that all feelings arise in the same way? I would say that that is a fair conclusion.

Instinct
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:58 am
If you said that it was a fair notion I wouldn't agree with you. True, the living being is made in such a way that fear is triggered when danger is near. But this is not nessecarily DNA. Fear is not what happens when you know what to do. It is what happens when you don't know. I believe that the pattern of behaviour is determined by the processes of the mind. Even though the brain enables the mind to function it does not logically follow that all activity of the mind can be found in DNA. The ability to might, but not the thoughts themselves.
0 Replies