spring loaded

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 01:12 am
Quote:
If you are forced to deal with this harsh reality, have a plan before you intervene. If your spouse says they will do it, that they will get the help, you need to be spring-loaded to take them up on the offer! If they say no, you need to be spring-loaded in that direction as well. Do not bluff here; mean what you say and say what you mean.

Hello, does "spring-loaded" mean "flexible" in this context? I understood what it means literally, and the dictionary just explains what it is literally too.
Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 497 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by iclearwater
roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 01:25 am
@iclearwater,
Nope. In the context of people being spring loaded, the meaning is that the person or people is very ready to act in a certain way.

A common usage is to say that someone is 'spring loaded to the fucked up position', meaning that he is prone to make mistakes.

You seem to have a very good understanding of the language, but I will discourage you from using 'fucked up', unless you are very sure you understand the idiomatic possibilities.
iclearwater

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 01:32 am
@roger,
Thank you for your help, roger.

And good advice for the usage of "****"or the relevant phrases. I understood the usage of the word can be very tricky. Sometimes native speakers would use it without being offensive to the listeners with certain tone and context. It would be difficult for non-speakers to say it safely as you advise. I don't think I can make it.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 07:17 am
To act quickly
roger

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 01:35 pm
@PUNKEY,
To have the potential to act quickly.

ETA: in a specific way.
0 Replies