No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 09:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
Inspired by The War of the Worlds?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 09:17 pm
@roger,
Unlike war of the worlds, this looks like it actually can happen, in some scenarios.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 10:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
It was produced by this organization: http://autonomousweapons.org

They have a serious goal.

I've read several science fiction novels which explore the idea of autonomous battle drones, most notably, _Kill Decision_ by Daniel Suarez. I also recommend it for just pure sci-fi enjoyment. A very intelligent and entertaining novel.
farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 04:15 am
@rosborne979,
SO it must be fed GIS data about "selected targets' as well as "rejected targets" I can see Li battery powered badminton rackets as a worthy defense
rosborne979

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 07:24 am
@farmerman,
- “A computer can make as many mistakes in a second as a thousand humans working a thousand years” - And so can autonomous robots.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 09:39 am
The claims made in this video are pure crap. They actually claim that there are "no countermeasures possible". Come on... I can come up with a bunch of countermeasures without thinking hard... an EMP pulse, a laser, counter drones, a baseball bat (humans do hit knuckle balls). They work on facial recognition? All you have to do is cover your face. (Not to mention that they made that look like a TED stage... as if TED would allow a live weapons demonstration in a crowded room of people.)

I work in AI, and I can tell you that we are nowhere near the technology they are claiming exists. This is science fiction.

Even if it did exist... I would ask "so what?". If I get killed by a sharp rock, or a super-intelligent drone, it is all the same to me. Why is this invention any more scary that the one made 15000 years ago when Ugg figured out how to tie a sharpened rock onto a stick?

farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 10:10 am
@maxdancona,
naah, badminton rackets. We used to racket- whack bumblebees when I was a kid. This is just another, but better armed , bumbleybee.

I dont think anyone is taking this as seriously as you seem to imply.
Cmon its the season of love and presents. What sys love more than an RDX armed drone
0 Replies