what they’re saying is playing in the room, etc.

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 08:55 pm
Hi,
Would anyone answer the following questions? Thanks!

Quote:
He’s bragging about screwing his partner over, but he doesn’t see it like that. As I said, with no insight, BAITERs never know how what they’re saying is playing in the room. They’re so narcissistic, they think everybody will see things from their point of view. They say things like, “That guy is so trusting, he’ll be easy pickings,” or “She’s so asleep at the switch, she’ll never even see me coming ’til I’m gone.” “You snooze, you lose.” The fact that you are aghast and can’t believe what you’re hearing is lost on them.

Q1: What does "is playing in the room" mean? Does that mean at its face value?
Q2: asleep at the swich = she doesn't pay attention to some important moment which would switch the situtaton?
Q3: pickings = he will be easily be used?

Quote:
If there is a table full of fans with University of Oklahoma clothing and paraphernalia on and they’re next to a table with University of Texas clothing and paraphernalia, I add that to my mental checklist. If things “get drunk
out,” this could become a volatile situation. If, sometime during the evening, trouble erupts in any of these noted areas, I’m not saying I’ll get involved, but I also won’t be blindsided. I won’t be caught unawares

Q4: Are the two universities I highlighted in blue known they are often at odds with each other, therefore, there's a potential ongoing fight? If so, would you share a little history between them about the reason?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 454 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by iclearwater
chai2

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 01:36 pm
@iclearwater,
For the "playing in the room" comment, an important word there is "how"

Baiters don't know How it's playing in the room.

I'm assuming baiters are some people who are trying to "bait" (annoy or rile up) some people.
The baiters are saying things they hope will get to the listeners and make them react, giving the baiter attention. In other words, a troll.

However, the listeners might not be bothered by what is being said, or realize the baiter is just trying to annoy them, etc. It's not playing well, or, going as the baiter expected.

-----

You're correct about "easy pickings"

-----

Asleep at the switch just means not paying attention when they should be. A similar expression is "asleep at the wheel"

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 02:15 pm
@iclearwater,
Q1: "Playing in the room" means how what is being said is being interpreted by the people listening. You tell a story that you think is funny, but no one laughs because it wasn't playing well.

Q2: "Asleep at the switch" means not paying attention.

Q3: "Easy pickings" means easily taken advantage of.

Q4: In the US, each state has a large, public university, often two. There are good natured, in-state rivalries and rivalries with adjacent states. The two universities you asked about are adjacent state rivals.
chai2

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 03:27 pm
@engineer,
Heh, I missed that one about the rivalry. Funny since I live in a Texas and seen some people take it very seriously.
0 Replies

iclearwater

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 10:27 pm
Thank you both very much for your help.
- Is "easy pickings" idiomatic?

- Is "asleep at the switch" idiomatic? What does "switch" literally refer to when it means "attention"?

- I missed a question about "beyond drunken". Does "beyond drunken" mean the person is very drunken, either in a state of stupor or almost losing all her/his senses? Is it idiomatic?

- Do most Americans have a very strong affinity to the state where they belong to?
I heard about Americans often move from one state to another for job, study, or whatever. I guess such an emotion generally happens to the people who were born there and live there most of their lives, correct?

Would any of you give me a hand again about the questions above?
chai2
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2017 10:46 am
@iclearwater,
Easy pickings refers to picking the low hanging fruit on a tree that's ripe. In other words, not much effort is needed.

The phrase "asleep at the switch" goes back to train engineers. A train has to switch tracks at times to avoid colliding with other trains. In the past, this had to be done manually by someone by them using levers to move the track. If you were not attentive, "asleep at the switch" you would cause the train to crash into another.
Same with asleep at the wheel (of a car). If you're not attentive, disaster.

I've never noticed the expression "beyond drunk", but it's meaning is clear.

People don't belong to a state, they live in that state.
Yes, people do move around, sometimes from state to state, going far distances sometimes, across the country.

Although this does happen more often than in past decades/centuries. It's not something that the vast majority constantly do. We move when there is a good reason.

Some people move from their state of origin and maintain a close feeling to that state.
Others move to a new place and over time prefer that place.

It's an individual thing, a persons nature. I'm sure no different than people are wherever it is you live.

iclearwater

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2017 05:40 pm
@chai2,
Thank you very much again!
0 Replies