Ex boyfriend logging into account

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 02:37 am
So I got a notification saying someone had logged into my account on faceook. I check the location and it’s the same country my ex boyfriend lives in near his base.
When I confronted him, he denied he’d actually logged in. he said he was clearing his old laptop. When he opened my old user domain, my Facebook was still open in the browser and that must be why I got the notification.
Only thing is he’s been there 3 years... so it must have been sat open all that time. But I wouldn’t have got a notification if he’d just maximised the browser would I? Just wanted to check if that’s a possibility or if I would only get the alert if he’d actually entered my email and password.
Thanks in advance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 532 • Replies: 4
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 05:50 am
@Laura3280,
Does it really matter? He is an ex-boyfriend. The idea of an ex-boyfriend is that you forget him and move on. There is no real way to know. There may have been a cookie or something, or he might have remembered your password and been curious. If he did log on... what are you going to do about it anyway? There is no sense in fighting with someone you broke up with years ago.

Change your password so that this won't happen again. And then move on.

Laura3280

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 06:51 am
@maxdancona,
No you miss my point, I want to know if he’s violated my privacy, or if he’s been genuine when he says he didn’t log in. We broke up 3 weeks ago, he’s lived away in the forces that’s why I haven’t been on his laptop. My post was nothing to do with my relationship, I need technical advice from someone who might know how the notification works. But thank you for your input.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 09:30 am
@Laura3280,
From your original posts, I thought you broke up "3 years" ago. There is a big difference between 3 years and 3 weeks Wink. I am guessing that you left the laptop 3 years ago, but were still in this relationship.

I still can't answer your question unequivocally (and I am a software engineer). There is too much information missing to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he violated your privacy, there are a great number of things that might have happened. Some browsers save passwords, it is certainly possible that he unintentionally pressed "enter" to generate that notification.

I still don't think it matters... unless you are thinking about getting back together with him. If you could prove that he violated your privacy, what would you do about it anyway? It is not like you can break up with him.
Laura3280

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 05:22 pm
@maxdancona,
Thanks. Yes your right. It was a long relationship and we own property together so there is a strong chance that something may happen in future, But thanks for your response. I guess I can’t tell ether way and your right I can’t do much if he did. I just wanted piece of mind knowing it was possible and he was being the honest person I thought he was.
0 Replies