Seed

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:19 pm
How often do you do it? Do you do it in earnest or do you do it out of habit? What is prayer to you? Do you think it works?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,154 • Replies: 14
No top replies

material girl

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 03:32 am
Im a bit of a hypocrit as I have lost God more and more over the past couple of years but I hear he is there for me so we have a chat every now and again.
I dont really pray.I tend to do things like watch the news and see a disaster and look up and say 'thank you God' for my nice home and for not being in a bad situation.Or if something important goes right I do the same.
Sometimes when Im down I ask him if things will get better,they usually dont but I think thats down to me,not him.
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 05:43 am
Re: Prayer
Seed wrote:
Do you think it works?

Quote:
Statistics were acquired from the prayer and placebo groups both before and after prayer, until the patients were discharged from the hospital. There were no statistical differences between the placebo and the prayer groups before prayer was initiated. The results demonstrated that patients who were prayed for suffered "less congestive heart failure, required less diuretic and antibiotic therapy, had fewer episodes of pneumonia, had fewer cardiac arrests, and were less frequently intubated and ventilated." Statistics demonstrated the the prayer group had a statistically significantly lower severity score based upon the hospital course after entry (p < 0.01). Multivariate analysis of all the parameters measured demonstrated that the outcomes of the two groups were even more statistically significant (p < 0.0001). In science, the standard level of significance is when a "p value" is less than 0.05. A value of 0.01 means that the likelihood the result is because of chance is one in 100. A p value of 0.0001 indicates that in only one study out of 10,000 is the result likely to be due to chance. Table 2 from the study is reproduced below. The remarkable thing which one notices is that nearly every parameter measured is affected by prayer, although individually many categories do not reach the level of statistical significance due to sample size. However, multivariate analysis, which compares all parameters together produces a level of significance seldom reached in any scientific study (p < 0.0001). The author points out that the method used in this study does not produce the maximum effect of prayer, since the study could not control for the effect of outside prayer (i.e., it is likely many of the placebo group were prayed for by persons outside of the study). It is likely that a study which used only atheists (who had no Christian family or friends) would produce an even more dramatic result. However, since atheists make up only 1-2% of the population, it would be difficult to obtain a large enough sample size.

Scientific Evidence for Answered Prayer
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 06:59 am
I do not pray, at all. I have no belief in a higher being. Therefore, prayer, for me, would be meaningless.

As far as the scientific studies of prayer are concerned, I CAN see the value in them, for believers. There are chemical changes when a person is at peace with himself, that could very well lead to a stronger immune system, better health, and a greater ability to cope with the problems of life.

When I went through a very serious illness, I did not pray, but I did meditate and do visualizations. In my case, I attempted to gather my own forces to combat the illness, rather than looking to some outside force for help.

I have this running argument with my husband. He claims that it was the medical treatments that made me well, and all the meditating in the world would not have "fixed" me. I counter by saying that it was the meditating that gave me the peace of mind and the strength to enable me to get through my treatments successfully.

I think that prayer, for a believer, accomplishes the same thing as my meditating. But it is not a higher power that heals, but the ability of human beings to achieve an more efficient immune system. I DO believe in a strong mind-body connection.
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 07:43 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I have this running argument with my husband. He claims that it was the medical treatments that made me well, and all the meditating in the world would not have "fixed" me. I counter by saying that it was the meditating that gave me the peace of mind and the strength to enable me to get through my treatments successfully.

I think that prayer, for a believer, accomplishes the same thing as my meditating. But it is not a higher power that heals, but the ability of human beings to achieve an more efficient immune system. I DO believe in a strong mind-body connection.

Precisely!

Does your husband not believe in a mind-body connection?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 07:49 am
I don't believe in prayer to some 'god' figure, but I do put a lot of faith in healing the body through the mind, in addition to proper medical care. When I was studying Chi Kung, I learned a lot about how to channel energy to injured systems in the body through meditation. It's no perfect solution, but with extra care, it can help speed recovery.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 07:54 am
Quote:
Does your husband not believe in a mind-body connection?

Graffiti- Not anywhere to the extent that I do. He is very much into the medical model of disease, and to him, meditating is some new-age mumbo jumbo.
0 Replies

needanswers

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 10:37 am
Seed wrote:
How often do you do it?

Once every night (and if I require help in the daytime, sometimes I pray then)

Seed wrote:
Do you do it in earnest or do you do it out of habit?
I used to do it out of habit, but now I realise the value that prayer has, so I do it in earnest now.

Seed wrote:
What is prayer to you?
To me prayer is a form of communication. I talk whilst God listens. I do not seek instant answers in prayer as the Lord's prayer (in which I now use all the time) does not really bode any questions, but after prayer I am filled with the knowledge that God will take care of myself and all that surrounds me, just as long as I am faithful to my religion and try to be the best person that I can be.

Seed wrote:
Do you think it works
I do believe that prayer works. However that suggestion is mainly based on my faith in God.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 11:20 am
Yes
Yes
I'll write more later
Yes
0 Replies

Max209

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 03:42 am
graffiti wrote:
Seed wrote:
Do you think it works?

Quote:
Statistics were acquired from the prayer and placebo groups both before and after prayer, until the patients were discharged from the hospital. There were no statistical differences between the placebo and the prayer groups before prayer was initiated. The results demonstrated that patients who were prayed for suffered "less congestive heart failure, required less diuretic and antibiotic therapy, had fewer episodes of pneumonia, had fewer cardiac arrests, and were less frequently intubated and ventilated." Statistics demonstrated the the prayer group had a statistically significantly lower severity score based upon the hospital course after entry (p < 0.01). Multivariate analysis of all the parameters measured demonstrated that the outcomes of the two groups were even more statistically significant (p < 0.0001). In science, the standard level of significance is when a "p value" is less than 0.05. A value of 0.01 means that the likelihood the result is because of chance is one in 100. A p value of 0.0001 indicates that in only one study out of 10,000 is the result likely to be due to chance. Table 2 from the study is reproduced below. The remarkable thing which one notices is that nearly every parameter measured is affected by prayer, although individually many categories do not reach the level of statistical significance due to sample size. However, multivariate analysis, which compares all parameters together produces a level of significance seldom reached in any scientific study (p < 0.0001). The author points out that the method used in this study does not produce the maximum effect of prayer, since the study could not control for the effect of outside prayer (i.e., it is likely many of the placebo group were prayed for by persons outside of the study). It is likely that a study which used only atheists (who had no Christian family or friends) would produce an even more dramatic result. However, since atheists make up only 1-2% of the population, it would be difficult to obtain a large enough sample size.

do u think that prayer and god helped people through illnesses ???

because i believe that it is pretty much the same as therapy talking about your problems and putting things into perspective and so you recieve less stress and lets be honest stress does cause physical illness whether it be CHD or the FLU it makes you ill if not relieved

so i put it to you is it God that helps or relief of stress??
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 05:33 am
Max209 wrote:

because i believe that it is pretty much the same as therapy talking about your problems and putting things into perspective and so you recieve less stress and lets be honest stress does cause physical illness whether it be CHD or the FLU it makes you ill if not relieved

No, I do not believe it is God. In fact, I am agnostic. I don't know (nor does anyone else!) whether there is a God or not.

I understand that the mind is part of the body. Therefore, if one attends to the mind, as in meditation/positive thoughts/keeping things in perspective, I believe that affects how the body reacts.

:wink:
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:24 pm
graffiti wrote:
Max209 wrote:

No, I do not believe it is God. In fact, I am agnostic. I don't know (nor does anyone else!) whether there is a God or not.

I understand that the mind is part of the body. Therefore, if one attends to the mind, as in meditation/positive thoughts/keeping things in perspective, I believe that affects how the body reacts.

:wink:

I agree. It would take a hell of a lot more to prove that God exists and has anything to do with anything.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:43 pm
Yes I pray. Almost always right before I go to sleep and through out the day. I have had some incredible spiritual experiences.
0 Replies

needanswers

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 11:07 am
paulaj wrote:
Yes I pray. Almost always right before I go to sleep and through out the day. I have had some incredible spiritual experiences.

If they are not too personal, could you please share some of your spiritual experiences with us? Smile
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 08:10 pm
paulaj wrote:

I say you haven't had spiritual experiences at all. Give me reason to believe otherwise.
0 Replies