'Will You Taste Some Irishness?' II (2003)

ceanntoirc

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 04:09 pm
Hi Kara. Kanturk may not be as beautiful as Connemara, but it has it's own simple beauty. A weekend would be enough to be honest. There is a Wild Boar Festival in July every year. There is "The Old Court" Kanturk castle which is a shell of what might have been, as it was never finished. There are some beautiful walking areas( if that's your scene) through parks.There are 3 of them, all on the rivers.It is quiet interesting if you managed to get hold of an old map of Kanturk as you can see where many things such as the old railway used to be. There is a fairy ring of standing stones on one side of the town, a place called Fairyhill.

I normally go back once or twice a year. Meeting a local historian would be your best bet. There are some things in kanturk that many locals don't know about

There is also a town website. It's not the greatest but it has some pics. As good a starting point as you will probably get on the net. Kanturk town
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 12:24 pm
Hi all! Nice to see some activity on this thread.

...and another treat from cavfancier.

Thanks Cav for the lovely poem.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 06:19 pm
i have a list of pbs radio stations in the northeast and ireland that have great trad celtic music shows that i listen to daily,,,online when i'm out of the reception area. i'm addicted.
i'd post the times, days and links on here but i'm not sure if it's allowed. i'd be glad to pass the info on if anyone's interested. email is in profile.
0 Replies

wordworker

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:24 pm
What a great find for me: lover of Irish History, Literature and Celtic music!!!

I'll share some of my own writing when I have a bit more time.

jjorge: I love your choice of authors and your own poetry.

ww

p.s. Congratulations on your first grandchild today!!! It's a "MAX!" What a great joy!!
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 10:04 pm
Hi ww!

Thanks for the kind words and welcome to A2K.

I expect to start another, 'Will You Taste Some Irishness' thread a few weeks before St Paddy's day.

Max is adorable although he's a bit of a conehead right now.

The doctor said it's because my daughter was, 'such a good pusher'.
Anyway she (the doc) said it was normal, and it will 'round out' by itself and not to worry. so everybody's smiling.

I told Stefanie (my dtr) that I was writing a poem for Max but I don't know if it will take two days or two months.

When it's done I'll also post it on A2K
0 Replies

wordworker

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 03:52 am
Jjorge...Most babies have the "cone" going for them at birth. It is such an awesome time for a family to bring a new life into the world. Good luck with your poem for Max. I was so overwhelmed by the birth of my two grandgirls, I have yet to write anything about them yet. Though they are old enough to write songs with me. (6 & 8, they are)

Thanks for the "welcome" to A2K. I heartily accept it and look forward to partaking of the "Irishness" right here. Great idea for St.Pat's--a new thread.

ww
0 Replies