Difference between acoustic and classical guitars

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:05 pm
Anybody know? I'm thinking of getting one for my almost 5-year-old and want to know which one would make a better instrument to learn on.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,723 • Replies: 51
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:12 pm
acoustic guitars have steel wound strings....classical nylon strings....acoustics have narrower more electric like necks it really depends on what the interest is.....a beginners scaled down 3/4 acoustic would probably be better for a young child to gauge theri natural talent if any and interest level...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:16 pm
I was looking at the half size, being the cheap bastard that I am. And you hit the nail on the head, I have no idea if he'll take to it or not so I don't want to over invest or choose something that will be hard for him to learn on. So far he's shown interest in that he likes to wrap rubberbands around tissue boxes and 'play' them. So you think acoustic over classical?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:26 pm
yes...
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:31 pm
An acoustic burns better....

http://www.frogtown.com/~mblake/pics/artsy/guitar_burn.jpg
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:32 pm
But you need the clean lines of an electric guitar to do the job with style...

http://www.fdn.fr/~musical/Musique/burning_guitar.gif

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:35 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
yes...

Cool. Thanks for the advice, Bear.

But you know I have to ask why, right? Does it just sound better, or is it easier to learn?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:36 pm
Cute, Mr. Stillwater. I imagine if his little sister gets a hold of it it will look something like that.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:37 pm
slimmer neck...easier
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:38 pm
Ah, good point. Someone told me nylon strings were easier on the fingers, but I hadn't thought about his ability to reach around the neck. You can tell I don't play the guitar.

Thanks again, Bear.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 07:01 pm
I was gonna say nylon strings but after thinking about it a little longer I go with Bear and say slimmer neck and steel strings.

Fingers might hurt at first, but after a week or two it'll be over and barre chords (the ones where you press all the strings with only one finger) are easier on a slim neck.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 10:34 pm
Ok. I just ordered this one. http://store.middletownschoolofmusic.net/la30stacgupa.html

It seemed like a good price since that's roughly what the ones at the toy store cost. In fact, it's a little bit cheaper than some of them.

Thanks for the input guys. I was leaning heavy towards the classical but you swayed me.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 07:53 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
An acoustic burns better....

http://www.frogtown.com/~mblake/pics/artsy/guitar_burn.jpg

But a classical guitar burns hotter
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 09:02 am
The nylon strings are easier on the fingers for a beginner, but it doesn't take long playing with steel strings (3-4 hrs?) for the callouses to develop on his finger-ends, which stop it from hurting.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 09:08 am
Yep, once accustomed to the acoustic guitar, learning classical guitar will be much easier. It doesn't really work the other way around, for kids. Also, you can get light guage strings, which aren't too hard on the fingers.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 09:11 am
Like a 9, cav?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 09:14 am
he'll never keep nines in tune without the guitar set up differently...on top of that...because a new player will be struggling with chords and finger placements...he'll stretch the strings all over the place for awhile anyway which will constantly knock it out of tunes...10's at the lightest is my advice. 10's on an acoustic are considered extra light....
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 09:17 am
Ah yes, BPB. I play electric and forgot about the differences with non-electrics.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 09:18 am
What does anyone think about the idea that daddy should learn to play at the same time as the kid? So maybe he could help dad learn to change from B7 to A without buzzing the strings.

Joe
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 09:22 am
If daddy hasn't mastered that yet...perhaps it's time to limit playing to in front of the bathroom mirror, air guitaring it with the loofah Laughing
0 Replies