Cultivating edible wild plants...

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:50 pm
Has anyone ever taken the time to try and cultivate wild edibles? I mean, you personally, not all those who have created what we know today in the common vegetable garden. It has been an interest of mine in the last few years to try and live mainly off of the vegetation that surrounds me. They always grow without help from humans, are generally pest resistant from many countless years of acclimatization, and grow in such abundance that they are easily found and collected in quantity. But, I wonder if anyone has ever tried to "improve" any particular species. I know that the French and many other European countries delight in edible "weeds" and have improved dandelions and chickory into many different varieties. Just wondering. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,043 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 12:17 am
Interesting topic, and I hope for some answers. I haven't, but sampled some green stuff on a plant and weed tour. What have you tried - both eating and growing?
0 Replies

Thoughtful Biped

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 12:40 am
I haven't had the chance to cultivate any but where I live now there are all sorts of wild and naturalized edbiles. I have sampled St. John's Wort, Sheep Sorrell, Dandelion, Chickory, Amaranth, Wild Grapes, Gooseberries, Currants, Figs, Wild Ginger, Wild Rose Hips, Red Clover, and Pine Needles for tea. The man I live with and work for has done a little taming of his own though with the Currants, Grapes, Gooseberries, and Chokecherries with some success. Everything likes a little tender loving care I suppose.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 12:50 am
Oh. I've tried sheep sorrel. Not bad. Tastes a lot like geranium flowers, actually. Amaranth, or at least some other variety of pigweed is fairly common down here, but I haven't tried it. I'm sure we've got chokecherry too, but I wouldn't recognize it if I saw it.

Planning to take the tour again.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 01:11 am
The cultivation of "wild" foodstuffs was the foundation of the Art and Science of Agriculture.

Wild blueberries, tiny, tart yet sweet, can still be found... but few (except for bears and such) have the time or energy to collect and harvest them.
That's why cultivars have been developed, tall bushes with huge berries... easy to harvest and transport.
(But vastly inferior in flavor!)

On a similar note, try buying "wild" salmon and "farmed" salmon; prepare both the same way, then sample...
you'll get the point.
0 Replies

filipendula

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 11:59 pm
just, PLEASE, check what you're looking at BEFORE eating. in the wild, there are many plants, not even counting mushrooms, which look similar but can be quite poisonous! like chokecherry---the bark, flowers, and fruit look very similar to dogbane...but the dogbane is totally poisonous.

also, if/when you find plants which you fancy, PLEASE do not strip the area; one must be very careful about wildcrafting. it'd be much better to find a large patch and take a small part and replant it to your garden.

there are so many wild plants which can be wiped out with one careless move, like bottle gentian, and blue-bead lily; with plants like trillium which is in the cahortus family...this means the plant originates from a bulb or berm and the actual bulb is usually about 12 feet below the surface....so firmly grabbing the stem at ground level won't do anything but strip the plant of its leaves and flower.

i hope you'll be careful.
0 Replies